Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

46 Pages«<2021222324>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
scottyd27  
#421 Posted : Saturday, June 12, 2021 9:55:24 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 284 time(s) in 210 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Red Go to Quoted Post
Correction- I meant to say, I knew cops who would NOT take that job. A police detective I was working with told me he wanted to become an RO after he retired from the PD. He asked what type gun the ROs carry. When I told him none- he said no way! His buddy said "you'd be nuts to do that job unarmed." To be fair, this was at a time and place where we had sovereign citizens and other protest groups who were fighting with us. I think a lot of them have gone underground and are not as vocal now.

I have two SCs in my inventory now
federalgovtjobseeker  
#422 Posted : Saturday, June 12, 2021 10:38:49 AM(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker

United States

Was thanked: 118 time(s) in 95 post(s)
Originally Posted by: scottyd27 Go to Quoted Post
You are right FED.

Managing your calendar is the trickiest part of your job.

And honestly I seldom answer my phone. I return calls.

I won’t stop what I’m doing to answer the phone.

It’s always interesting checking your notifications and seeing a statute expiration case so close to expiration and you just got it. Then, that changes everything you had planned. Also Scotty, you are right about the phone. Unless I have time which is never, I return calls instead of trying to answer them when I am doing another task. I have also noticed I get most calls on my busiest days or days I have other things I need to complete. Definitely demanding, just make sure to take the next action folks timely!
federalgovtjobseeker  
#423 Posted : Saturday, June 12, 2021 10:44:54 AM(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker

United States

Seeker- you and Scotty are right- it is a tough job. You guys are where the rubber meets the road, as far as the service is concerned, although it seems the service often forgets you are there. I knew special agents who would not make it as ROs. Imagine a job where you have to be part skip tracer, process server, financial investigator, debt collector, and repo man. Knocking on doors, demanding payment, while unarmed. I knew cops who said they would take that job. You are the one they call when the rest can't get it done. Back in the day- before RRA98- IRS had more assaults and threats than any other federal agency- and most of those were ROs making seizures. And yet the public thinks all IRS employees are auditors!

Thanks Red for the acknowledgment of the demands of the job! I find it interesting too how the public almost always calls me a Revenue Agent and not a Revenue Officer. People then ask if we carry if we are an Officer and when I tell them we don’t, they look at me like how do you all do it? It’s tough but part of the job. We just have to be always aware when we are out in the field and stay vigilant! As I said before, it is a great job though so I want all you new posters to know that. We need so many more of you all because there are far too few RO’s! Good luck to you all, I know you all will do great! Just be ready to learn!
scottyd27  
#424 Posted : Saturday, June 12, 2021 10:45:38 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Originally Posted by: federalgovtjobseeker Go to Quoted Post
You are right FED.

It’s always interesting checking your notifications and seeing a statute expiration case so close to expiration and you just got it. Then, that changes everything you had planned. Also Scotty, you are right about the phone. Unless I have time which is never, I return calls instead of trying to answer them when I am doing another task. I have also noticed I get most calls on my busiest days or days I have other things I need to complete. Definitely demanding, just make sure to take the next action folks timely!

I also tell new hires. Don’t worry about what deadline you give the taxpayer.

Worry about your deadline. I never calandra TPS deadlines.

Just mine.
federalgovtjobseeker  
#425 Posted : Saturday, June 12, 2021 10:47:45 AM(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker

United States

Correction- I meant to say, I knew cops who would NOT take that job. A police detective I was working with told me he wanted to become an RO after he retired from the PD. He asked what type gun the ROs carry. When I told him none- he said no way! His buddy said "you'd be nuts to do that job unarmed." To be fair, this was at a time and place where we had sovereign citizens and other protest groups who were fighting with us. I think a lot of them have gone underground and are not as vocal now.

I have two SCs in my inventory now

I have some pretty crazy cases in my inventory so I know what you mean Scotty! A lot of this job is just to find people and some of them, you never even hear a word out of after you find them!
federalgovtjobseeker  
#426 Posted : Saturday, June 12, 2021 10:49:56 AM(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker

United States

Originally Posted by: federalgovtjobseeker Go to Quoted Post
You are right FED.

I also tell new hires. Don’t worry about what deadline you give the taxpayer.

Worry about your deadline. I never calandra TPS deadlines.

Just mine.

Good advice. The notifications section can get messy with all those deadlines on there. Your next action/deadline for yourself is what is important! Got to protect the government’s interest new hires!
Foggy  
#427 Posted : Saturday, June 12, 2021 2:30:18 PM(UTC)
Foggy

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FedX777 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Foggy Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Papoose79 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: financegirl1 Go to Quoted Post
Have any internals had success in negotiating a higher step in salary when changing positions?

I am going in as a 9/2 with hopes of being able to get GS11 before my next step increase. I am not changing locations. I met with my manager today and hopefully I can make GS11 in 9 months. 😆

I'm hoping to come in as a 9/10 to match current salary, but as an external.

Congratulations on your offer!

I just applied myself for Houston,TX on the announcement that is still open.

Are you a Veteran?

Do you know if they're going to continue hiring for Houston or they are pretty much done?

Thx!

Thank you. Yes I am and a current federal employee. I don't know anything about their hiring. I applied to the first announcement a few months back before this new one was posted.
thanks 1 user thanked Foggy for this useful post.
Nick777 on 6/12/2021(UTC)
Foggy  
#428 Posted : Saturday, June 12, 2021 2:50:32 PM(UTC)
Foggy

United States

Speaking of phone calls, I'm assuming RO's get government cell phones or do we need to use our own?
scottyd27  
#429 Posted : Saturday, June 12, 2021 3:16:38 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Originally Posted by: Foggy Go to Quoted Post
Speaking of phone calls, I'm assuming RO's get government cell phones or do we need to use our own?

You’ll be issued a government cell at some point. There is a BRING YOUR OWN DEVICE program.

My Gcell is and I-7. But in typical govt fashion. They make it slightly more useful than a flip phone.

Pretty much anything and everything is disabled.
thanks 1 user thanked scottyd27 for this useful post.
Foggy on 6/12/2021(UTC)
BuckeyeGuy  
#430 Posted : Saturday, June 12, 2021 3:40:42 PM(UTC)
BuckeyeGuy

I interviewed recently and was told to expect an offer soon. However, I will probably end up declining it because of pay. For you experienced ROs, what is the typical advancement after GS-11? What type of RO duties as a 12 and how long would you typically be an 11 before being competitive for one of the positions? I'm only asking because I also signed a tentative offer with the ATF for a GS-7/13 position. I think the RO job sounds interesting, but from what I read on here and other places, I feel that it is probably under-graded compared to a lot of similar positions throughout the government. I'm currently an analyst, equivalent to a GS-12 and the RO sounds like the knowledge, responsibilities and workload required are greater than what most GS-11s do in the government.
scottyd27  
#431 Posted : Saturday, June 12, 2021 4:06:39 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

The position is probably under graded.

I’m an 11 hopefully get my 12 this year.

I personally couldn’t work for Alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

That should be a convince store not a govt agency.

But I understand the desire for an 1811 position.

Personally I’m happy. The pay is good, I have my military retirement and I have a good deal is savings.

For me it more about public service and job satisfaction.

And honestly, ROs have more power than most 1811s. I don’t need a judge to sign my summons they do.

I always say I can take everything but your freedom. And you can be free to be free under a bridge.
BuckeyeGuy on 6/12/2021(UTC)
BuckeyeGuy  
#432 Posted : Saturday, June 12, 2021 4:16:16 PM(UTC)
BuckeyeGuy

I appreciate your response, but what I'm looking for is more information about what a GS-12 does compared to a journeyman GS-11 RO and how competitive it is getting one of those positions. Also, the ATF position is not an 1811, it's an 1801, Industry Operations Investigator. I'm trying to learn as much about the position and the advancement opportunities with the IRS so I can make an educated decision.
scottyd27  
#433 Posted : Saturday, June 12, 2021 4:34:04 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

IMHO, there’s not a lot of difference between my 11 cases and my 12 and 13 developmental cases.

No matter what anyone says about every case being different I don’t buy into that.

There are three types of taxpayers in inventory.

1. Can’t pay. Means making them pay would create an undue hardship. Some of these want to fix the problem and some don’t.

2. Didn’t know what their responsibilities were and are willing to make it right.

3. Won’t pay. Don’t think they have to pay. Will do everything possible to dodge paying.

The only difference is the complexities of actions ROs takes..

A good RO is every bit as good an investigator as any 1811.
scottyd27  
#434 Posted : Saturday, June 12, 2021 5:18:15 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Also the NTEU is trying to address some disparities in pay and retirement that RO as law enforcement officers should be entitled to.

Several bills on congress about it now
BuckeyeGuy on 6/12/2021(UTC)
Foggy  
#435 Posted : Saturday, June 12, 2021 6:34:01 PM(UTC)
Foggy

United States

Also the NTEU is trying to address some disparities in pay and retirement that RO as law enforcement officers should be entitled to.

Are they making any headway at the agency level? I know bills have been introduced since 1999 with no luck so I think the easiest path is if IRS makes the changes themselves.
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day  
#436 Posted : Sunday, June 13, 2021 4:15:55 AM(UTC)
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day

United States

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 71 post(s)

I'm not sure about disparities in pay unless you mean moving ROs to the GL (law enforcement) pay scale. The GL pay scale meets up with the GS pay scale at GS11.

I did read an article that sought to give the 20 year retirement option to ROs, CBP inspectors, and canine enforcement inspectors and it seemed like a pretty compelling argument. The link is below.

https://www.nteu.org/leg...etirement-eligibility-fo
scottyd27  
#437 Posted : Sunday, June 13, 2021 7:25:09 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Originally Posted by: IRSSpecialAgent_1Day Go to Quoted Post

I'm not sure about disparities in pay unless you mean moving ROs to the GL (law enforcement) pay scale. The GL pay scale meets up with the GS pay scale at GS11.

I did read an article that sought to give the 20 year retirement option to ROs, CBP inspectors, and canine enforcement inspectors and it seemed like a pretty compelling argument. The link is below.

That’s what I was talking about. And I believe the journey level should be 12.

I don’t care about LEAP pay
Riverside  
#438 Posted : Sunday, June 13, 2021 1:41:11 PM(UTC)
Riverside

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)

22 years ago??!!

scottyd27  
#439 Posted : Sunday, June 13, 2021 1:46:50 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Originally Posted by: Riverside Go to Quoted Post

22 years ago??!!

There’s a bill in congress now. Not sure the status

https://www.google.com/a...cDJMVrqco&format=amp

Edited by user Sunday, June 13, 2021 1:48:38 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Riverside on 6/13/2021(UTC)
Foggy  
#440 Posted : Sunday, June 13, 2021 2:02:13 PM(UTC)
Foggy

United States

Contact your Congress Reps/ Senators then have your coworkers do the same.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed