Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

50 Pages«<4647484950>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Washington Ave  
#941 Posted : Wednesday, June 16, 2021 7:59:18 PM(UTC)
Washington Ave

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: IcedEspresso Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone. Last year in 2020 I was just waiting for my EOD and like everyone else, the onboarding was suspended. It's finally resumed and I'm waiting for further updates. There's always been terrible glassdoor reviews and after reading the news & this entire 46pg thread, I knew I was going in with my eyes wide open. Recently, however, I have been seeing many more newly posted reviews in 2020 & 2021 that are even worse than before, such as...

- extremely toxic supervisors/management,
- being targeted for removal during probation if one does not have a law degree/attorney experience (more than 1 review about this, & I do not have a JD),
- terrible, insufficient training,
- an unmanageable workload,
- firsthand knowledge of colleagues "removed" for being unable to keep up with this unmanageable workload, and
- essentially resulting in a ton of unpaid overtime work.

Many of those are also for the office I have been hired for. I know it's usually the disgruntled that vents on glassdoor but they're well written & the sheer number of those descriptions really lends credence to those complaints. Even the generally restrained "good" reviews still corroborate the poor management/extreme workload/poor training. Does anyone have anything good to say? lol

I'm pretty gritty and resilient and I'm the type to take on extra work for the better of the agency... but I don't wish to risk losing a government job or have extreme stress day & night especially for unpaid OT. I am great at my current job, have advancement potential and it's a federal govt job as well. However I was looking to relocate to where this Asylum position, and to learn and develop new skills. Any thoughts?? Any further insights and perspective would be sooo appreciated!!

it really depends which office you go to and the management

I have not been an AO. I do have 3.5 years of experience with USCIS. I have been at three different field offices.

My last one was a terrible. I was going to leave, but then covid hit. And we had no job openings for a long time. I kept waiting. And then said enough is enough and left in February of 2021.
I don't regret leaving that officer at all. Hoping to move to DC. Waiting for the right opportunity.

Trust your gut. Expect to do unpaid overtime. Workload can be overwhelming. Especially if not properly trained. good luck

Moving to CN, and you can't stop me!!!
thanks 1 user thanked Washington Ave for this useful post.
PineappleSmoothie on 6/17/2021(UTC)
FERPY  
#942 Posted : Thursday, June 17, 2021 4:44:39 PM(UTC)
FERPY

You have been a member since:: 6/15/2021(UTC)
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I was an AO for about a year and a half in SF. The reviews almost scared me off too but I have to say the workload while difficult to keep up with is definitely rewarding. I left because I could not continue to enforce policies I didn’t believe in but I’m looking to get back into USCIS as an AO or RO.

The training is extensive, you’re basically being trained almost your whole first year. I do know that people were let got after their probation period for not being able to keep up with the workload. I do not have a legal background and it’s a steep learning curve but the AOs are a tight nit community and people will help you out as much as they can. You can cut it without a JD you just have to work a little harder to catch up. Office management and workload also varies by office. You train with AOs from across the country so you get to hear the horror stories of the workload just increasing and increasing across the offices. Some office definitely have a way worse reputation than others. The hardest thing for me was the legal writing and while I was there the template for how to write up cases changed which made a significant difference in how long it took to write up cases.

The people I worked with were extremely passionate about their jobs and the ones with JDs definitely could have been working elsewhere and making more money but they’re there bc they love what they do and it shows. If asylum is something your passionate about I would say take the chance.
thanks 1 user thanked FERPY for this useful post.
PineappleSmoothie on 6/17/2021(UTC)
Washington Ave  
#943 Posted : Friday, June 18, 2021 6:07:35 AM(UTC)
Washington Ave

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: IcedEspresso Go to Quoted Post
Appreciate you both for your input & sharing your experiences!

@WashingtonAve - You're right - my instincts are usually right on things like this! I'd like to PM you about your experiences. Would that be OK?

@Ferpy - I'm so glad to hear that because deep down I know I am probably at a 99% likelihood of proceeding. Couple years ago I got connected to several AOs/former AOs on the phone and they also had great things to say about their direct colleagues and how fulfilling the work is. So I'm hopeful to hear your experience was the same. Good luck I'm sure there will be more openings coming!

sure, go right ahead

and you are welcome

Moving to CN, and you can't stop me!!!
FERPY  
#944 Posted : Wednesday, August 4, 2021 5:45:25 AM(UTC)
FERPY

United States

Has anyone heard anything at all from that last RO posting?
CalKent  
#945 Posted : Tuesday, August 10, 2021 9:51:49 AM(UTC)
CalKent

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FERPY Go to Quoted Post
Has anyone heard anything at all from that last RO posting?

God help me, there was an RO posting and I missed it?
Akash32  
#946 Posted : Thursday, August 12, 2021 7:59:24 AM(UTC)
Akash32

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hello,

I dont know why they are doing this but they are posting the results now on the dashboard only. No emails are being sent out for referrals. We have to go through usajobs.gov, view the job and on the right of it, it states track this application which shows your status. Tbh, i had forgotten about it and was applying for other USCIS positions when i checked and was referred. They recently referred people it seems but im not to hopeful as its been hard to see what USCIS is wanting tbh 🤔 but never know.
thanks 1 user thanked Akash32 for this useful post.
peteyboy123 on 8/16/2021(UTC)
peteyboy123  
#947 Posted : Monday, August 16, 2021 4:53:17 AM(UTC)
peteyboy123

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Akash32 Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

I dont know why they are doing this but they are posting the results now on the dashboard only. No emails are being sent out for referrals. We have to go through usajobs.gov, view the job and on the right of it, it states track this application which shows your status. Tbh, i had forgotten about it and was applying for other USCIS positions when i checked and was referred. They recently referred people it seems but im not to hopeful as its been hard to see what USCIS is wanting tbh 🤔 but never know.

Was referred as well. Really interested in this position. Does anyone know what the next steps would be, how competitive it is, and if you’re just stationed in DC and travel frequently or the announcement just says DC and you can be stationed anywhere (internationally)?
FERPY  
#948 Posted : Monday, August 16, 2021 7:33:00 AM(UTC)
FERPY

United States

Excited to see I was also referred! Thank you for posting that we need to check updates in USA Jobs.

PeteyBoy123 these positions are located in DC, unless it has changed in the last two years the way it works is you are on 6 wks rotations where for 6 wks you are located in DC debriefing/prepping for your upcoming rotation to an international location. Then 6 wk international deployment. Then back again to DC for 6 wks

The last time I applied for an RO position I recieved an email from usastaffingoffice@opm.gov asking me to complete a writing assessment, unfortunately this was at the beginning of lockdowns last year and I had a lot going on at the time and missed the email and dealine to complete the assessment so keep on the lookout!
majun  
#949 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2021 10:35:48 PM(UTC)
majun

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 55 post(s)
There was a proposed rule published in the Federal Register today that will radically change the way expedited removal and credible fear will be handled. Briefly, they are proposing turning over initial jurisdiction for asylum claims to asylum officers after credible fear is found, instead of sending the cases to immigration court. Asylum officers will make decisions, in the first instance, on claims for asylum, withholding and Convention Against Torture. There are a couple of things in the rule that will be of interest for those thinking about a career as an asylum officer:

Quote:
As such, under this proposed rule, USCIS asylum officers making final decisions on statutory withholding of removal and CAT protection cases would be at a GS– 13 minimum, considering they will be conducting adjudications traditionally performed only by IJs.93 In addition, first-line Supervisory Asylum Officers (‘‘SAO’’s) reviewing these decisions would be graded at a GS–14.94 Currently, not all SAOs are at a grade GS–14. However, aligning all first-line SAOs to a GS–14 ensures operational flexibility and makes this position consistent with the similar work processes and functions performed by the first-line Supervisory Refugee Officer position.

Quote:
USCIS has estimated the staffing resources it will need to implement this proposed rule. At the three volume levels of credible fear cases, USCIS plans to hire between 794 and 4,647 total new positions, with a primary estimate of 2,035 total new positions.

Of course not all new positions will be asylum officers, there will increases in clerical staff, supervisory and management too, but I would assume that the low estimate of 794 new positions would include 400 - 500 new asylum officer positions. And, if the rule is implemented, hiring will be expedited.

You all can peruse the new rule at https://www.govinfo.gov/...08-20/pdf/2021-17779.pdf

Edited by user Friday, August 20, 2021 10:36:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

majun  
#950 Posted : Sunday, August 22, 2021 3:21:30 PM(UTC)
majun

Originally Posted by: majun Go to Quoted Post
There was a proposed rule published in the Federal Register today that will radically change the way expedited removal and credible fear will be handled. Briefly, they are proposing turning over initial jurisdiction for asylum claims to asylum officers after credible fear is found, instead of sending the cases to immigration court. Asylum officers will make decisions, in the first instance, on claims for asylum, withholding and Convention Against Torture. There are a couple of things in the rule that will be of interest for those thinking about a career as an asylum officer:

Quote:
As such, under this proposed rule, USCIS asylum officers making final decisions on statutory withholding of removal and CAT protection cases would be at a GS– 13 minimum, considering they will be conducting adjudications traditionally performed only by IJs.93 In addition, first-line Supervisory Asylum Officers (‘‘SAO’’s) reviewing these decisions would be graded at a GS–14.94 Currently, not all SAOs are at a grade GS–14. However, aligning all first-line SAOs to a GS–14 ensures operational flexibility and makes this position consistent with the similar work processes and functions performed by the first-line Supervisory Refugee Officer position.

Quote:
USCIS has estimated the staffing resources it will need to implement this proposed rule. At the three volume levels of credible fear cases, USCIS plans to hire between 794 and 4,647 total new positions, with a primary estimate of 2,035 total new positions.

Of course not all new positions will be asylum officers, there will increases in clerical staff, supervisory and management too, but I would assume that the low estimate of 794 new positions would include 400 - 500 new asylum officer positions. And, if the rule is implemented, hiring will be expedited.

You all can peruse the new rule at https://www.govinfo.gov/...08-20/pdf/2021-17779.pdf

The same day that the proposed rule was published the Asylum Division posted the first job opening notices to take care of the personnel demands that the proposed rule would entail:

https://www.usajobs.gov/...b/ViewDetails/611675400#

Quote:
Asylum Officers at GS-13

Locations
141 vacancies in the following locations:

San Francisco, CA
10 vacancies

Tustin, CA
13 vacancies

Miami, FL
10 vacancies

Tampa, FL
17 vacancies
Show fewer locations (7)

Chicago, IL
10 vacancies

New Orleans, LA
5 vacancies

Boston, MA
14 vacancies

Newark, NJ
19 vacancies

Bethpage, NY
8 vacancies

Houston, TX
25 vacancies

Arlington, VA
10 vacancies

And, to supervise the newly elevated asylum officers:

https://www.usajobs.gov/...ob/ViewDetails/611675900

Quote:
Supervisory Asylum Officers at GS-14

Locations
28 vacancies in the following locations:

San Francisco, CA
2 vacancies

Tustin, CA
2 vacancies

Miami, FL
2 vacancies

Tampa, FL
3 vacancies
Show fewer locations (7)

Chicago, IL
2 vacancies

New Orleans, LA
1 vacancy

Boston, MA
3 vacancies

Newark, NJ
4 vacancies

Bethpage, NY
1 vacancy

Houston, TX
5 vacancies

Arlington, VA
3 vacancies

There is also this notice that was posted several days eariler:

https://www.usajobs.gov/...ob/ViewDetails/611020600

Quote:
Adjudications Officers (training) 5 positions

Basically they are proposing doubling the size of the training staff.

They are seriously going through with this. It will be about six months before they can bring anyone on board no matter how hard they try, but they are beginning the process even before they have the official authority so there will be no more delay than absolutely necessary. Most of these new positions will go to people who are already working in asylum, but their positions will have to be backfilled, so they are anticipating a lot of hiring. The training officer positions suggest that they are anticipating upping their training capacity from about 400 new officers per year to 800 per year. Don't know if they are going to have special training for the GS-13 officers since their responsibilities will be expanded (hence the bump in grade), but it shouldn't be enough to justify a doubling of the training staff. They are expecting a surge in hiring at the GS-9/11/12 level.
Sliohio  
#951 Posted : Monday, August 23, 2021 8:19:54 AM(UTC)
Sliohio

Quote:

Quote:

The same day that the proposed rule was published the Asylum Division posted the first job opening notices to take care of the personnel demands that the proposed rule would entail:

https://www.usajobs.gov/...b/ViewDetails/611675400#

Quote:
Asylum Officers at GS-13

Locations
141 vacancies in the following locations:

San Francisco, CA
10 vacancies

Tustin, CA
13 vacancies

Miami, FL
10 vacancies

Tampa, FL
17 vacancies
Show fewer locations (7)

Chicago, IL
10 vacancies

New Orleans, LA
5 vacancies

Boston, MA
14 vacancies

Newark, NJ
19 vacancies

Bethpage, NY
8 vacancies

Houston, TX
25 vacancies

Arlington, VA
10 vacancies

And, to supervise the newly elevated asylum officers:

https://www.usajobs.gov/...ob/ViewDetails/611675900

Quote:
Supervisory Asylum Officers at GS-14

Locations
28 vacancies in the following locations:

San Francisco, CA
2 vacancies

Tustin, CA
2 vacancies

Miami, FL
2 vacancies

Tampa, FL
3 vacancies
Show fewer locations (7)

Chicago, IL
2 vacancies

New Orleans, LA
1 vacancy

Boston, MA
3 vacancies

Newark, NJ
4 vacancies

Bethpage, NY
1 vacancy

Houston, TX
5 vacancies

Arlington, VA
3 vacancies

There is also this notice that was posted several days eariler:

https://www.usajobs.gov/...ob/ViewDetails/611020600

Quote:
Adjudications Officers (training) 5 positions

Basically they are proposing doubling the size of the training staff.

They are seriously going through with this. It will be about six months before they can bring anyone on board no matter how hard they try, but they are beginning the process even before they have the official authority so there will be no more delay than absolutely necessary. Most of these new positions will go to people who are already working in asylum, but their positions will have to be backfilled, so they are anticipating a lot of hiring. The training officer positions suggest that they are anticipating upping their training capacity from about 400 new officers per year to 800 per year. Don't know if they are going to have special training for the GS-13 officers since their responsibilities will be expanded (hence the bump in grade), but it shouldn't be enough to justify a doubling of the training staff. They are expecting a surge in hiring at the GS-9/11/12 level.

Thank you! This is the best news I've seen so far on asylum openings. Just out of curiousity, why would it be another six months before they can onboard people?

majun  
#952 Posted : Monday, August 23, 2021 4:03:01 PM(UTC)
majun

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you! This is the best news I've seen so far on asylum openings. Just out of curiousity, why would it be another six months before they can onboard people?

Let me be clear. The 141 GS-13 Asylum Officer positions will be filled in six to eight weeks probably. But all those hires are going to be internal. There are hundreds of asylum officers with one year or more experience at the GS-12 level and they will all apply. And it will be hard for anyone outside of asylum to compete with them. So, two to three weeks after the closing date of the announcement hiring officials will have their lists, give them a week or two to consider their choices, maybe even do some interviews if they have candidates from other offices on their lists, and another two to three weeks to make the offers get the acceptances and process the paperwork. At that point they will know how many positions that they will have to backfill, so they will put out job opening announcements when they have a good idea of how many regular asylum officers they will need and in which offices. This time around the hiring process will probably go a bit slower since the lists will probably be longer and the number of interviews that they will have to conduct will increase and most of the new hires will require full background checks. There may be a few out there who can get onboarded as new hires from outside the government in less time, for most it should run about six months. Of course by that time there will probably be more announcements for GS-13 asylum officers, so rinse and repeat.
Akash32  
#953 Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2021 5:17:20 AM(UTC)
Akash32

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Anyone who has been referred for the refugee officer position hear anything yet?
chasingthegrade  
#954 Posted : Sunday, August 29, 2021 12:20:17 AM(UTC)
chasingthegrade

They've started interviewing. I had one this week.
Valen203  
#955 Posted : Monday, August 30, 2021 6:13:36 AM(UTC)
Valen203

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: chasingthegrade Go to Quoted Post

Thanks so much for sharing this. Curious what GS level you applied to?
Sliohio  
#956 Posted : Monday, August 30, 2021 6:47:01 AM(UTC)
Sliohio

Looks like they started to post GS9-12 positions that are open to the public. My EOD had been put on hold since the hiring freeze and I have not heard back. Should I reapply or should I wait indefinitely? I'm torn lol
thanks 1 user thanked Sliohio for this useful post.
JDSIII on 8/31/2021(UTC)
Ziego  
#957 Posted : Monday, August 30, 2021 1:10:51 PM(UTC)
Ziego

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Sliohio Go to Quoted Post
Looks like they started to post GS9-12 positions that are open to the public. My EOD had been put on hold since the hiring freeze and I have not heard back. Should I reapply or should I wait indefinitely? I'm torn lol

Firstly, yes, just do it. Worst-case scenario you end up getting hired from the original posting instead of this one.

Secondly, thanks for the heads-up. Been waiting for a 9-12 AO posting since January 2020.
chasingthegrade  
#958 Posted : Tuesday, August 31, 2021 9:38:11 AM(UTC)
chasingthegrade

Originally Posted by: Valen203 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: chasingthegrade Go to Quoted Post

Thanks so much for sharing this. Curious what GS level you applied to?

This was for the refugee posting, not Asylum. I put in for the 12.
Purple3  
#959 Posted : Friday, September 3, 2021 1:37:45 AM(UTC)
Purple3

Does anyone have any information about the Atlanta location for this post? https://www.usajobs.gov/...ob/ViewDetails/612398100

Is Atlanta just a vetting location or do Asylum Officers do asylum interviews in Atlanta?

majun  
#960 Posted : Friday, September 3, 2021 3:58:27 AM(UTC)
majun

Originally Posted by: Purple3 Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone have any information about the Atlanta location for this post? https://www.usajobs.gov/...ob/ViewDetails/612398100

Is Atlanta just a vetting location or do Asylum Officers do asylum interviews in Atlanta?

Don’t know for sure. Atlanta was originally set up for vetting only. A clue might be the fact that August 20th announcement for GS13 AOs did not include Atlanta. Since the 13 positions will be deciding withholding and CAT claims, that is an indicator that they won’t be doing any of those interviews in the Atlanta office and suggests they don’t plan on doing any other interviewing there either. But just an educated guess
thanks 1 user thanked majun for this useful post.
Purple3 on 9/3/2021(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed