Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Social Security Administration

The Social Security Administration (SSA) is an independent agency of the United States federal government that administers Social Security, a social insurance program consisting of retirement, disability, and survivors' benefits. To qualify for these benefits, most American workers pay Social Security taxes on their earnings; future benefits are based on the employees' contributions. (Source: Wikipedia)

Perhaps you are working for the SSA or interested in working for the SSA. Here is a forum to share your experience with the SSA.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SSA Fed  
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 19, 2021 11:04:26 AM(UTC)
SSA Fed

Groups: Registered
United States

I have a question about QSIs. I have received the highest performance rating the last 2 years ( for FY 19 and 20; awarded in FY 20 & 21, respectively) . At SSA that makes me eligible for a QSI.. when I had my end of year PACS (performance) review in October 2019, I asked my supervisor if I’d be getting a QSI. He said yes. When award time came around in March 2020, he told me I would be getting a ROC award in lieu of the QSI. When I questioned this decision, he told me the agency wasn’t giving out QSIs because of budgetary reasons. This was right after the start of Covid and I felt so disillusioned that I did not question or fight the decision because I trusted my supervisor. Fast forward to my PACS review for FY 20. I again received an excellent performance rating of 5, making me eligible for another QSI. This time I was hopeful the agency would have the budget to give me the QSI. I had done some research on fedsdatacenter.com and discovered another employee in my component/division/branch did receive a QSI for FY 2019 ( awarded in FY 20) when supposedly the government didn’t have the budget to pay QSIs. I didn’t quite understand why my component awarded the other employee a QSI in FY 19, but I was hopeful I would gett one in FY 20. That was wishful thinking because I recently received notification that I would be receiving another ROC. My supervisor retired at the end of 2020, so I asked my new supervisor about why I was not receiving a QSI. She said she had to research the issue and get back to me. She didn’t bother getting back to me so I followed up with her. She gave me the same canned response that the agency doesn’t have the budget and awards are based on “executive discretion.” While I understand I am only eligible, not owed, a QSI, this seems like a BS response given what I already know. So I need to know if this is legal? How can an SSA executive award similarly situated employees withisimilar job duties, the same supervisor, the same job performance rating and the same experience two vastly different awards? Obviously a QSI is greatly to my advantage. Is there anything I can do? We’re both white men, though he’s about 10 years younger. The wreaks of discrimination but I don’t know what basis I would use other than age. I’d really rather not go that route because I fear it would ruin my career. So far I’ve checked with OCREO about filing an EEO but they haven’t been much help. Are there any other avenues?
Navy Bubblehead  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 21, 2021 3:16:57 AM(UTC)
Navy Bubblehead

Was thanked: 122 time(s) in 100 post(s)
You said it yourself, you aren't owed a QSI. That is strictly management discretion. Time to move along.

Not sure how other agencies handle it, but I have been told that in our agency, once an employee is past the one-year between Steps range (1-4), QSIs are a no-go.
Prep  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 23, 2021 10:25:30 AM(UTC)
Prep

United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Time to move along, most definitely. Former SSA employee here, and for some reason, folks in that Agency have VERY long memories.

FYI...If you've not been there long enough to reach the full grade potential in your position then I would just accept the ROC and keep it moving.

Edited by user Wednesday, June 23, 2021 2:32:27 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Clarity

Rss Feed  Atom Feed