Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Financial Discussion

It is always wise to have a secure financial foundation. Here is a place to ask questions, exchange ideas and share information on how to make the most of your money.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
officedep  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 25, 2021 1:30:12 PM(UTC)
officedep

Groups: Registered
United States

Someone got into my ear and now I'm debating if a promotion was done correctly went from a 2210 999D pay table GS - 9 step 5 and was promoted to a GS 11 position.

The GS 9 position I was promoted from is on the following table.
https://apps.opm.gov/Spe...6/Table999D01012016.aspx

The GS 11 position I was promoted to is on the following table.
https://www.opm.gov/poli...-tables/pdf/2016/HAR.pdf

The issue I'm now having is this two step rule which at least to me is very confusing the way it's explained on the page when going from a special to non special pay table. I understand the tables are from 2016 which is when the promotion occurred but after my last military deployment and the issues I dealt with from HR I'm seriously questioning that this was handled correctly. Just looking for some input on what step on the GS-11 table would be the correct one after a promotion from the GS-9 special pay table.
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 26, 2021 4:50:27 PM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1162 time(s) in 929 post(s)
Originally Posted by: officedep Go to Quoted Post
Someone got into my ear and now I'm debating if a promotion was done correctly went from a 2210 999D pay table GS - 9 step 5 and was promoted to a GS 11 position.

The GS 9 position I was promoted from is on the following table.
https://apps.opm.gov/Spe...6/Table999D01012016.aspx

The GS 11 position I was promoted to is on the following table.
https://www.opm.gov/poli...-tables/pdf/2016/HAR.pdf

The issue I'm now having is this two step rule which at least to me is very confusing the way it's explained on the page when going from a special to non special pay table. I understand the tables are from 2016 which is when the promotion occurred but after my last military deployment and the issues I dealt with from HR I'm seriously questioning that this was handled correctly. Just looking for some input on what step on the GS-11 table would be the correct one after a promotion from the GS-9 special pay table.
should be the same as if you weren’t on a special pay table. Sometimes you can lose money if the special pay table is high enough. Heck, if I got a promotion to GS15 and the position was located in Florida, I’d lose money compared to my -14 salary in DC.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
officedep  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 26, 2021 5:14:01 PM(UTC)
officedep

United States

It was within the same locality so there was no geographic change with the promotion just the special pay to non special table. The issue i'm trying to figure out is how it was handled regarding this two step rule. I've had quite a few things incorrectly processed and handled from HR and unfortunately don't know i'd get very far if they incorrectly processed it as it's my understanding vs. theirs. Looking for a better explanation/ understanding of if it was possible incorrectly done.
frankgonzalez  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 28, 2021 3:48:48 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

It was within the same locality so there was no geographic change with the promotion just the special pay to non special table. The issue i'm trying to figure out is how it was handled regarding this two step rule. I've had quite a few things incorrectly processed and handled from HR and unfortunately don't know i'd get very far if they incorrectly processed it as it's my understanding vs. theirs. Looking for a better explanation/ understanding of if it was possible incorrectly done.
The 2 step rule should put you at GS11 step 1 if you were GS9 Step 5.

officedep  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 28, 2021 6:34:42 AM(UTC)
officedep

United States

So that's where i'm lost because i don't understand what the two step rule applies to the promotion. I was actually at the GS-9 step 5 already would two steps above that not take me to the GS-9 step 7 before comparing to the GS-11 table? Otherwise there would be no two step applied it was basically a comparison of my current GS-9 level to the GS-11 table.
frankgonzalez  
#6 Posted : Monday, June 28, 2021 8:50:16 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

So that's where i'm lost because i don't understand what the two step rule applies to the promotion. I was actually at the GS-9 step 5 already would two steps above that not take me to the GS-9 step 7 before comparing to the GS-11 table? Otherwise there would be no two step applied it was basically a comparison of my current GS-9 level to the GS-11 table.
The 2 step rule requires you to compare apples to apples. SO...if you are moving from a special pay table to the regular pay table...first you look up GS9 step 5 on the regular table (same would occur if you were moving to a new locality) or just use the basic table without locality (it gives the same result either way). Then You look up step 7 and then look at the GS11 pay to find which step is equal to but not less than GS9 step 7. This is GS11 step 1.

You cannot use the special pay table as that no longer applies to the new position.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed