Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cyberfx1024  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 15, 2021 9:52:45 AM(UTC)
cyberfx1024

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 51 post(s)
So I will start off by saying that this is for my coworker not myself.

For reference we had a GS employee go OCONUS about 2 years ago now with return rights back here to her old position. While in the interim management promoted a Contractor to a Term GS position to fill in for the OCONUS employee for 3 years. We have been hearing now that this OCONUS employee is going to extend her time overseas.

So my question is what happens to the position that she has return rights to? What happens to that Term GS employee, and do they automatically get moved to a Permanent spot or will it have to be readvertised?
FS0201  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 15, 2021 2:38:58 PM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 311 time(s) in 272 post(s)
Originally Posted by: cyberfx1024 Go to Quoted Post

For reference we had a GS employee go OCONUS about 2 years ago now with return rights back here to her old position. While in the interim management promoted a Contractor to a Term GS position to fill in for the OCONUS employee for 3 years. We have been hearing now that this OCONUS employee is going to extend her time overseas.

So my question is what happens to the position that she has return rights to? What happens to that Term GS employee, and do they automatically get moved to a Permanent spot or will it have to be readvertised?

GS employee can exercise return rights out to 5 years, so she should be fine.

Can’t speak to the term, but they may be able to extend them… or they could readvertise. Was there language in announcement about potential for it being made perm? Doubt it, given the term was established to fill behind the OCONUS employee. Easiest solution would likely be to extend the term if possible.
The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
thanks 1 user thanked FS0201 for this useful post.
cyberfx1024 on 7/15/2021(UTC)
cyberfx1024  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 15, 2021 5:51:01 PM(UTC)
cyberfx1024

United States

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FS0201 Go to Quoted Post

GS employee can exercise return rights out to 5 years, so she should be fine.

Can’t speak to the term, but they may be able to extend them… or they could readvertise. Was there language in announcement about potential for it being made perm? Doubt it, given the term was established to fill behind the OCONUS employee. Easiest solution would likely be to extend the term if possible.

Ahhh ok... No, there was no wording in it about it being made permanent he just assumed that it would be made permanent. He is happy for it to just be extended.
djp  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 16, 2021 12:57:05 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 174 time(s) in 171 post(s)

It depends on the situation and senior,readership around the time limits. There are differences in how you got the job in the first p,ace and Thrn how you got extended.

Return right only put you in the same job series and same level—NOT the same job. If the job you took leave from us filled you can go to a different job in a different office but in the same series.

Prior job I had coworkers deployed as part of a command general team taking control for 3 yrs in Iraq and others took jobs on their own without a unit going like to regional base operations in Kuwait and stayed there on extension. Another coworker took his place , Thrn on return he’d take a job in similar series but at a base closer to his hometown.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed