Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

14 Pages«<89101112>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Washgirl0905  
#181 Posted : Monday, June 14, 2021 11:38:00 AM(UTC)
Washgirl0905

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hey everyone just wanted to provide a quick update on how the process is moving for me at this time.

Applied 3/15/21
Among best qualified email received 3/26/21
Scheduled my SAEE through Pearson 3/27/21
SAEE 4/22/21
Super 5/24/21
CO 6/13/21

I'm scheduled for my eye examination tomorrow

Edited by user Tuesday, June 15, 2021 5:30:38 AM(UTC)  | Reason: typo

Allsourceguy  
#182 Posted : Tuesday, June 22, 2021 5:45:11 AM(UTC)
Allsourceguy

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Update

Finally got my Conditional offer, and completed the eye exam. I'm worried because I got Lasik a month and half ago.

Timeline so far
4/1/2021 SAEE
4/23/2021 SUPER
6/14 COE
6/18 completed eye exam and sent paperwork over.

Edited by user Tuesday, June 22, 2021 6:31:26 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Allsourceguy  
#183 Posted : Tuesday, June 22, 2021 6:28:25 AM(UTC)
Allsourceguy

United States

Originally Posted by: ItsShowtime Go to Quoted Post
Anyone here that's going to be taking a pay cut?

My current gig offers near $150k in TX (which goes a long way than say CA or NY), and with the USSS starting pay, I'm looking at a $70k-$75k or so pay cut. I'm planning to be married soon and starting a family (that 1 year alone can be used towards college tuition, payment on a house, etc).

I've spoken to a few people who suggest that an experience with the USSS would be more rewarding than any corporate job can ever offer. I really want this job, but oof, that is a massive cut (it would be a life changing decision).

Just trying to see if others are in the same boat.

That's a massive pay cut. Ill be taking just a 15k paycut which I can live with. Just make sure its really where you see yourself five years from now. Also being optimistic maybe you can always go back to that career field if the SS is not for you ?

GH  
#184 Posted : Tuesday, June 22, 2021 10:42:46 AM(UTC)
GH

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Allsourceguy Go to Quoted Post
Update

Finally got my Conditional offer, and completed the eye exam. I'm worried because I got Lasik a month and half ago.

Timeline so far
4/1/2021 SAEE
4/23/2021 SUPER
6/14 COE

Is the eye exam just a basic "read these lines" to make sure you meet the vision requirements, or do they actually do a full examination of your eyes? I had a recent eye exam via my normal eye doctor, and she mentioned I have some very minimal scarring on my cornea from Lasik that I had done about 6 years ago and now that has me a little worried.
Allsourceguy  
#185 Posted : Wednesday, June 23, 2021 5:05:36 AM(UTC)
Allsourceguy

United States

Originally Posted by: GH Go to Quoted Post
Update

Timeline so far
4/1/2021 SAEE
4/23/2021 SUPER
6/14 COE

Is the eye exam just a basic "read these lines" to make sure you meet the vision requirements, or do they actually do a full examination of your eyes? I had a recent eye exam via my normal eye doctor, and she mentioned I have some very minimal scarring on my cornea from Lasik that I had done about 6 years ago and now that has me a little worried.

You have to go to a optometrist and its just an exam with your vision numbers. Also a spot asks if you have had any surgery, Including any eye issues. but if your 2020 I'm sure your fine.

I had posted on here because they want you to have three months after eye surgery before medical exam so I'm worried about that.

GH  
#186 Posted : Wednesday, June 23, 2021 7:20:17 AM(UTC)
GH

United States

Update

Timeline so far
4/1/2021 SAEE
4/23/2021 SUPER
6/14 COE

You have to go to a optometrist and its just an exam with your vision numbers. Also a spot asks if you have had any surgery, Including any eye issues. but if your 2020 I'm sure your fine.

I had posted on here because they want you to have three months after eye surgery before medical exam so I'm worried about that.

If your vision is good, worst case is they just pause for another 1.5 months and re-evaluate right? When I had mine done, one of my eyes never cleared up and I ended up having to get it enhanced 3 months later (as I believe 3 mos. is when they consider you fully healed). Maybe just a question for your processing FO if the wait to hear back is too painful.

Edited by user Wednesday, June 23, 2021 7:24:26 AM(UTC)  | Reason: to add parentheses part

M1keBones  
#187 Posted : Wednesday, June 23, 2021 7:37:22 AM(UTC)
M1keBones

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Update

Timeline so far
4/1/2021 SAEE
4/23/2021 SUPER
6/14 COE

You will do a full-on eye exam as part of your medical.
thanks 1 user thanked M1keBones for this useful post.
GH on 6/24/2021(UTC)
peteyboy123  
#188 Posted : Friday, July 2, 2021 6:48:55 AM(UTC)
peteyboy123

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Lunaticox Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone know if USSS Special Agents get take hime cars like the FBI SA do?

During phase I (investigations) you do.
Allsourceguy  
#189 Posted : Thursday, July 8, 2021 5:14:24 AM(UTC)
Allsourceguy

United States

Can anyone help me figure out what a GL-7 and GL-9 Step 1 pay os with AVP and Locality Pay?

I am so confused when looking at all the tables.

Its base pay + Leap+ Locality = Gross pay

The base pay for GS7 (step 1) is $37,674. That's your standard salary for the first year without any of the additions. SA get 25% LEAP added which equals 9,418.50 you add that on to the Base pay which equals $47,092.50.

Then depending where you live , an additional locality pay will be added. For instance ill use Miami you receive an additional 23.5% added onto your salary to adjust for cost of living in Miami. Which is $8,853.39. So the total would be if you were in Miami field office for year 1 would be $55,945.89.

hope this helps.

Edited by user Thursday, July 8, 2021 5:39:23 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Allsourceguy for this useful post.
Lunaticox on 7/8/2021(UTC)
2B18-11  
#190 Posted : Thursday, July 8, 2021 5:24:29 AM(UTC)
2B18-11

Man
United States

Can anyone help me figure out what a GL-7 and GL-9 Step 1 pay os with AVP and Locality Pay?

Follow this link to a calculator: https://www.opm.gov/poli...ficer-salary-calculator/

Select your locality, grade, and step where you will then select calculate. The value that you receive is the salary to include the locality pay. To calculate what your salary is with AVP, multiply that number by 1.25.
thanks 1 user thanked 2B18-11 for this useful post.
Lunaticox on 7/8/2021(UTC)
Allsourceguy  
#191 Posted : Thursday, July 8, 2021 6:25:08 AM(UTC)
Allsourceguy

United States

Originally Posted by: 2B18-11 Go to Quoted Post

Follow this link to a calculator: https://www.opm.gov/poli...ficer-salary-calculator/

Select your locality, grade, and step where you will then select calculate. The value that you receive is the salary to include the locality pay. To calculate what your salary is with AVP, multiply that number by 1.25.

That's a awesome link. no math lol
Lunaticox  
#192 Posted : Thursday, July 8, 2021 2:15:45 PM(UTC)
Lunaticox

That’s awesome, thank you. Now I feel dumb I didn’t include GS-7 in my application. Do I need to resubmit if I only included GS-9 or can I edit?
2B18-11  
#193 Posted : Thursday, July 8, 2021 8:41:46 PM(UTC)
2B18-11

Man
United States

That’s awesome, thank you. Now I feel dumb I didn’t include GS-7 in my application. Do I need to resubmit if I only included GS-9 or can I edit?

I’m not sure if you would need to reapply or if it’s possible to edit your application, sorry. Hopefully someone else can answer that if you haven’t already received an answer.
Allsourceguy  
#194 Posted : Sunday, July 11, 2021 7:18:24 AM(UTC)
Allsourceguy

United States

Curious has anyone already had a clearance when they applied ? wondering if the security interview and investigation should go a little quicker.
Allsourceguy  
#195 Posted : Wednesday, July 21, 2021 7:16:47 AM(UTC)
Allsourceguy

United States

Anyone have any recent updates? last thing I completed was the eye exam over a month ago. Just waiting for the security interview and getting anxious.
GH  
#196 Posted : Wednesday, July 21, 2021 7:35:01 AM(UTC)
GH

United States

Anyone have any recent updates? last thing I completed was the eye exam over a month ago. Just waiting for the security interview and getting anxious.

Had my super interview 6/24, also getting antsy. Was told not to expect any communication for 2-3 months but based on timelines it seems most people hear about a month later so am on edge.
M1keBones  
#197 Posted : Wednesday, July 21, 2021 7:40:29 AM(UTC)
M1keBones

I completed everything months ago. Home Interview in April. Not a peep since. All I can get from SA Support is that I am still in the process, so I don't know if they are just really backed up or what, but the process has slowed considerably it seems. I know that there were people who did get the call this week though.
M1keBones  
#198 Posted : Wednesday, July 21, 2021 10:18:54 AM(UTC)
M1keBones

Well I'm pretty sure I F#$ked myself. I was looking through my emails, and realized I sent the Eye exam paperwork to the noreply@secretservice email instead of the one it says to reply to. I just sent them it and told them about the mistake I really hope they don't knock me out of the process. I'm so mad at myself.

It happens. I doubt it will cause them to terminate your application. Don't sweat it man.
Allsourceguy  
#199 Posted : Wednesday, July 21, 2021 11:20:09 AM(UTC)
Allsourceguy

United States

Yeah I hope not . It means I didn’t have the paperwork in on time , but time will tell .
M1keBones  
#200 Posted : Wednesday, July 21, 2021 5:54:31 PM(UTC)
M1keBones

Would someone be so kind as to provide me with their recent timeline?

My status changed to "Under review" about 11 days ago and I have not received the invitation to the SAEE yet. Is this too soon?

I got the authorization to test email 4 days after getting the email telling me my application was under review for each grade. People's timelines will vary a lot and there are several factors affecting this.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed