Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Hmmmm  
#21 Posted : Sunday, August 1, 2021 9:10:37 AM(UTC)
Hmmmm

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MilMama Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Hmmmm Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Woody87 Go to Quoted Post
Looks like they extended the announcement due to not enough applicants. Do we have any idea why there is such a lack of interest? This job announcement a few years back would have been huge. I applied for it, so hopefully I get considered!

Work/life balance is surely an issue. And people with accounting experience can find teleworking positions in this climate.

I'm not sure why you would say work/life balance is an issue. For some agents maybe but if we are being honest with ourselves, we have a pretty good situation as far as federal gigs go.

We have been mandatory telework since March 2020. I go into the office occasionally but only when I need to. Applications across all levels of LE in the US are way down and have been for some time. CI ran a year long announcement that ended in November so there shouldn't be a large backlog of people waiting to apply. Prior to that there were multiple announcements in the preceding years. So even most people who it took more than one time applying have likely been hired or moved on to something else. Most of the need for new agents is concentrated in locations where most applicants would rather not live/work for various reasons. There are PODs hiring that will have more openings than applicants during this announcement. Other PODS will have a fair bit of competition for one or a few openings. With COVID the idea of going to FLETC for 6 months or more is far less tolerable or enticing to some people. I've heard the chicken isn't what it used to be anymore so who knows how many prospective applicants that screens out.

I say work/life balance is an issue, because of the 50 hour min and on call nature of this position. Specifically, as a parent and having worked in LE, weekends are a nightmare for childcare. I assume all fed LE jobs are the same in the most mandatory OT is going to fall on the lower grades that hit their caps in more time so that's where that really comes from.

Personally, FLETC may be easier for me as it was weekends off and less than 40 hours a week from what I remember. I never got more sleep in my life. My prior LE job did not allow telework at all even when COVID kicked off. Learning that this position allows for it is helpful in decision making.

But, I'm sure all of these reasons and other reasons we haven't thought of are deterring applications.

I've worked one overtime detail since I started and I didn't have to if I didn't want to. I am going to go out on a limb and say it will be the only time I ever get paid OT as an agent for my whole career. Anything else I do on the weekends is because I decided to do it on the weekend. Last year when COVID started to get bad but before the IRS mandatory call to work from home I was already working from home because my kid was put into online only school. Not a hint of resistance from management. Not sure what FLETC program you did but SAIT will definitely be more than 40 hours of your week if you want to get through it. If you have a background in LE then CITP should be mostly a review/update of prior knowledge and a good warmup to get ready for SAIT.

As far as sleeping well at FLETC, I read horror stories of people sharing rooms with others who snore real loud or otherwise make terrible roommates. In general I don't think CI students get doubled up but strange things have occurred since COVID so its possible.
MilMama  
#22 Posted : Sunday, August 1, 2021 2:08:07 PM(UTC)
MilMama

United States

Looks like they extended the announcement due to not enough applicants. Do we have any idea why there is such a lack of interest? This job announcement a few years back would have been huge. I applied for it, so hopefully I get considered!

Work/life balance is surely an issue. And people with accounting experience can find teleworking positions in this climate.

I'm not sure why you would say work/life balance is an issue. For some agents maybe but if we are being honest with ourselves, we have a pretty good situation as far as federal gigs go.

We have been mandatory telework since March 2020. I go into the office occasionally but only when I need to. Applications across all levels of LE in the US are way down and have been for some time. CI ran a year long announcement that ended in November so there shouldn't be a large backlog of people waiting to apply. Prior to that there were multiple announcements in the preceding years. So even most people who it took more than one time applying have likely been hired or moved on to something else. Most of the need for new agents is concentrated in locations where most applicants would rather not live/work for various reasons. There are PODs hiring that will have more openings than applicants during this announcement. Other PODS will have a fair bit of competition for one or a few openings. With COVID the idea of going to FLETC for 6 months or more is far less tolerable or enticing to some people. I've heard the chicken isn't what it used to be anymore so who knows how many prospective applicants that screens out.

I say work/life balance is an issue, because of the 50 hour min and on call nature of this position. Specifically, as a parent and having worked in LE, weekends are a nightmare for childcare. I assume all fed LE jobs are the same in the most mandatory OT is going to fall on the lower grades that hit their caps in more time so that's where that really comes from.

Personally, FLETC may be easier for me as it was weekends off and less than 40 hours a week from what I remember. I never got more sleep in my life. My prior LE job did not allow telework at all even when COVID kicked off. Learning that this position allows for it is helpful in decision making.

But, I'm sure all of these reasons and other reasons we haven't thought of are deterring applications.

I've worked one overtime detail since I started and I didn't have to if I didn't want to. I am going to go out on a limb and say it will be the only time I ever get paid OT as an agent for my whole career. Anything else I do on the weekends is because I decided to do it on the weekend. Last year when COVID started to get bad but before the IRS mandatory call to work from home I was already working from home because my kid was put into online only school. Not a hint of resistance from management. Not sure what FLETC program you did but SAIT will definitely be more than 40 hours of your week if you want to get through it. If you have a background in LE then CITP should be mostly a review/update of prior knowledge and a good warmup to get ready for SAIT.

As far as sleeping well at FLETC, I read horror stories of people sharing rooms with others who snore real loud or otherwise make terrible roommates. In general I don't think CI students get doubled up but strange things have occurred since COVID so its possible.

That's great to hear! A lot of that OT issue had to do with a busy city location. Some people like living at work. I'm hoping working in a suburban area is the same as you describe. I didn't share a room, but a bathroom when I went to FLETC and had no issue. As I get further into this process, I'll be sure to pick your brain more. Thanks for being on this forum.
Woody87  
#23 Posted : Monday, August 2, 2021 8:23:30 AM(UTC)
Woody87

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
How long does the application process typically take? I’m a teacher so I’m contracted each year until the summer. So I’m worried if I am selected, I’ll have to figure out how to pay out my remaining contract (if my school board doesn’t just straight up accept my resignation) and figuring out how to time a resignation without screwing over my department and students.
Hmmmm  
#24 Posted : Monday, August 2, 2021 7:03:33 PM(UTC)
Hmmmm

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 17 post(s)
How long does the application process typically take? I’m a teacher so I’m contracted each year until the summer. So I’m worried if I am selected, I’ll have to figure out how to pay out my remaining contract (if my school board doesn’t just straight up accept my resignation) and figuring out how to time a resignation without screwing over my department and students.

During good times and with no added issues on the side of the applicant it seems 1 year is about right. It can go a lot longer if there are issues with funding, training slots, hiring freezes etc. All you can do is put in and hope for the best. I've seen people on here who had to decline an offer and applied later when it better fit into their life. A lot can change in a year or more so I advise people to apply if only somewhat interested. It's good to have options.

I've seen the process take as long as 7 years though I don't believe CI holds onto TOs like that anymore.
LEOSA17  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, August 3, 2021 6:37:35 AM(UTC)
LEOSA17

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Just finished the realistic job preview last night, definitely not what I was expecting, but overall I think I did OK. Now I’m worried they won’t take my accounting credits for not being high level accounting courses. Anyone know what kind of accounting courses they’re expecting?
stepup  
#26 Posted : Tuesday, August 3, 2021 9:07:45 AM(UTC)
stepup

United States

If I haven't gotten an email for the online tests, should I assume I'm out of the running? My resume got sent to qual review but no email yet.
MilMama  
#27 Posted : Tuesday, August 3, 2021 4:55:57 PM(UTC)
MilMama

United States

Originally Posted by: stepup Go to Quoted Post
If I haven't gotten an email for the online tests, should I assume I'm out of the running? My resume got sent to qual review but no email yet.

When did you apply? The announcement isn't closed yet so don't count yourself out just yet.
passwordistaco  
#28 Posted : Tuesday, August 3, 2021 6:35:53 PM(UTC)
passwordistaco

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LEOSA17 Go to Quoted Post
Just finished the realistic job preview last night, definitely not what I was expecting, but overall I think I did OK. Now I’m worried they won’t take my accounting credits for not being high level accounting courses. Anyone know what kind of accounting courses they’re expecting?

As long as they’re from an accredited college they will count. You could take the same 3 credit basic financial accounting course at 5 different schools and it would still count.
dubyac  
#29 Posted : Wednesday, August 4, 2021 8:24:36 AM(UTC)
dubyac

United States

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 53 post(s)
My 2 cents:

IRS-CI is probably the best deal in work/life balance in federal law enforcement but &each agent has a totally different experience in their career path depending on cases, management, and field office. If you get attached to an FBI task force like JTTF, you’re spending the majority of your time with the bureau. That does mean the balance gets skewed more towards work in that case.

Otherwise you can work on your own cases. Then your work/life balance gets decided by how many and how complicated they are. Everyone ends up with some collateral duty (or three) at some point.

FLETC: CITP is like summer camp, SAIT is a grind.

Applications: it seems like they’ve carried the rolling application method from the last announcement so applicants are going through in batches from initial application to the realistic job preview. I know a few people who’ve made it without the accounting hours but they’ve had a lot of relevant experience. It’s not impossible but it is picky.
thanks 1 user thanked dubyac for this useful post.
MilMama on 8/4/2021(UTC)
AllHailTheDead0  
#30 Posted : Wednesday, August 4, 2021 10:45:25 AM(UTC)
AllHailTheDead0

United States

So do you get paid overtime after 40 hours or only overtime after 50 hours? How does that 50hr min work?
dubyac  
#31 Posted : Wednesday, August 4, 2021 11:43:17 AM(UTC)
dubyac

United States

Originally Posted by: AllHailTheDead0 Go to Quoted Post
So do you get paid overtime after 40 hours or only overtime after 50 hours? How does that 50hr min work?

Over the calendar year, your average work hours have to be 50/week, or 10/day for your LEAP pay (that doesn’t mean you have to work 10/day, only the average has to equal 10/day)

IRS-CI policy is that we work our LEAP (versus other agencies that permit having your G-phone on you and being available)

As far as overtime goes, I’ve never had any OT. I imagine those OT opportunities would happen for something like elections, UNGA, Olympics, but it’s so rare I have no idea what the OT policy is. I know the last Treasury Secretary wanted us to return to assist the Secret Service during the election. Anything worked over your 40 hrs/week goes to LEAP. So if you front load your LEAP in the first part of the year, you don’t work LEAP during the holidays (usually how it goes).
AllHailTheDead0  
#32 Posted : Wednesday, August 4, 2021 12:42:53 PM(UTC)
AllHailTheDead0

United States

So how is the LEAP pay calculated? Ive read over a few things on it and I am still a bit confused

"By law, availability pay is fixed at 25 percent of a criminal investigator's rate of basic pay. However, the biweekly maximum earnings limitation for LEO's in 5 U.S.C. 5547(c) applies."

So would I get an extra 25% on the 50 hours or just the extra 10 hours or is it calculated differently since I think we are supposed to be on call 24/7 I believe

Also is the salary based on the 50 hour work weeks or 40? Previously I was a tax examiner salaried at 40 hours a week but then I was able to get overtime pay for anything worked past the 40hrs/wk

Edited by user Wednesday, August 4, 2021 12:46:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

IRSSpecialAgent_1Day  
#33 Posted : Wednesday, August 4, 2021 3:30:39 PM(UTC)
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day

United States

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 71 post(s)
So how is the LEAP pay calculated? Ive read over a few things on it and I am still a bit confused

"By law, availability pay is fixed at 25 percent of a criminal investigator's rate of basic pay. However, the biweekly maximum earnings limitation for LEO's in 5 U.S.C. 5547(c) applies."

So would I get an extra 25% on the 50 hours or just the extra 10 hours or is it calculated differently since I think we are supposed to be on call 24/7 I believe

Also is the salary based on the 50 hour work weeks or 40? Previously I was a tax examiner salaried at 40 hours a week but then I was able to get overtime pay for anything worked past the 40hrs/wk

You are paid an extra 25% above your total wages. So if your base wage is $100,000, with LEAP you are at $125,000. You have to work the extra 25%. Instead of 2080 hours worked for the year, you will work 2600. My LEAP is normally slightly above 25%. You do not get paid overtime.

Edited by user Wednesday, August 4, 2021 3:35:20 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

AllHailTheDead0  
#34 Posted : Wednesday, August 4, 2021 4:06:51 PM(UTC)
AllHailTheDead0

United States

ok and base pay includes the locality pay correct? I have a T/o for a revenue officer position so just wanted to make sure the salary is worth it since special agents have to work a bit more. Would def prefer to be a special agent but its also hard to argue with only 40/hr work weeks.

Also in regards to the yearly promotion does it go GL 7 and then GL 9 like it does on the GS scale or would it be GL 7,8, and then 9? how high does the GL scale go up to? If my math is correct GL 9 compared to GS 9 then GL position makes about a dollar more for Los Angeles locality.

Edited by user Wednesday, August 4, 2021 4:15:35 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

dubyac  
#35 Posted : Wednesday, August 4, 2021 6:28:09 PM(UTC)
dubyac

United States

ok and base pay includes the locality pay correct? I have a T/o for a revenue officer position so just wanted to make sure the salary is worth it since special agents have to work a bit more. Would def prefer to be a special agent but its also hard to argue with only 40/hr work weeks.

Also in regards to the yearly promotion does it go GL 7 and then GL 9 like it does on the GS scale or would it be GL 7,8, and then 9? how high does the GL scale go up to? If my math is correct GL 9 compared to GS 9 then GL position makes about a dollar more for Los Angeles locality.

As Hmmmm wrote on the first page of this thread, it’s 7-9-11-12-13. If you’re talking about a dollar, you’re in the weeds about the GL versus GS scale. You’ll be out of the GL scale after 9 anyway.

Take base pay, adjust for locality, then add 25%. That’s your salary.

If the 40 hrs is that important to you, then perhaps reconsider if the SA job is for you. Have a trial: you’ll be working late. Have a warrant outside of your city: traveling and working late. Have an undercover: you’re at the mercy of everyone else. While it’s not as unpredictable as other 1811 jobs, it still can be. I’ve had a few times I was supposed to be on leave but couldn’t because of some kind of urgent matter.
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day  
#36 Posted : Thursday, August 5, 2021 2:44:00 AM(UTC)
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day

United States

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 71 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dubyac Go to Quoted Post

As Hmmmm wrote on the first page of this thread, it’s 7-9-11-12-13. If you’re talking about a dollar, you’re in the weeds about the GL versus GS scale. You’ll be out of the GL scale after 9 anyway.

Take base pay, adjust for locality, then add 25%. That’s your salary.

If the 40 hrs is that important to you, then perhaps reconsider if the SA job is for you. Have a trial: you’ll be working late. Have a warrant outside of your city: traveling and working late. Have an undercover: you’re at the mercy of everyone else. While it’s not as unpredictable as other 1811 jobs, it still can be. I’ve had a few times I was supposed to be on leave but couldn’t because of some kind of urgent matter.

And just to add to that, working my trial I was at court at 7am and there until 3am during trial. Ive worked 12am-8am shifts several times, and most warrant days I'm out the house by 4am; the earliest Ive been out the house was 1am for a warrant.

These aren't weekly occurrences but they happen. Working exactly 8-430 is a rarity and treat at best. Even when I'm taking leave at times there's some AUSA that calls me at 7pm for something or I need to check something late at night. The only time I truly get paid for exactly 40 hours is when I am on leave and out of the country where I cannot take my work phone or laptop per rules therefore I'm not looking at emails or getting random calls. This is all to say, if you are harping on that 40 hours a week even think you will work exactly 50 hours a week, IRS-CI is not where you are going to find it
Woody87  
#37 Posted : Thursday, August 5, 2021 9:04:57 AM(UTC)
Woody87

United States

Anyone else checking their emails obsessively like me? lol
407N3rd  
#38 Posted : Thursday, August 5, 2021 9:12:29 AM(UTC)
407N3rd

United States

In the event this helps someone: if you initially applied and were found ineligible (ex: you made an incorrect selection on the eligibility questions or have since registered for your missing accounting college credits), you can re-apply in the amended posting (extended to 08/06/2021). The Career Connector website will show "Ineligible based on applicant responses" regardless of your updated responses and regardless of whether you withdraw the application and resubmit it. The Career Connector application status will only be updated when the announcement closes.

Edited by user Thursday, August 5, 2021 9:13:04 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

forensicacc412  
#39 Posted : Thursday, August 5, 2021 1:58:55 PM(UTC)
forensicacc412

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Anyone else checking their emails obsessively like me? lol

It's easier said than done, but try and put it in the back of your mind, you'll go crazy constantly checking (I know, I did it too.) Respond ASAP to anything they tell you to do, but otherwise just wait. "Hurry up and wait" is the motto!
AccountingGrad  
#40 Posted : Monday, August 9, 2021 10:18:31 AM(UTC)
AccountingGrad

United States

So apparently I did not meet the minimum required score for the Job Simulation assessment, which surprised me, considering I did for the Revenue Agent one which is similar in its testing for logic, reasoning and problem solving. This is pretty disappointing, especially since I feel I answered logically and am now barred for a year until I can try again, and am not sure what incorrect answers I had. Oh well, try again next time I guess.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed