Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

FBI

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is an agency of the United States Department of Justice that serves as both a federal criminal investigative body and an internal intelligence agency. The FBI has investigative jurisdiction over violations of more than 200 categories of federal crime.

Headquartered in Washington, DC, the FBI has over 55 field offices located throughout the USA as well as smaller units throughout the world.

Perhaps you are working for the FBI or interested in working for the FBI. Here is a forum to share your experience with the FBI.

12 Pages«<89101112>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
1995JeepCherokee  
#181 Posted : Saturday, February 27, 2021 9:18:34 AM(UTC)
1995JeepCherokee

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FeistyFrog Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: 1995JeepCherokee Go to Quoted Post
I think you're getting WFO and HQ mixed up. They're two different things. Also the Huntsville campus isn't a field office just like the CJIS building in Clarkesburg, WV isn't a field office.

Yes, I am aware they are different. I'm talking about the construction that is planned on HQ to either rebuild it on-site or move it to the suburbs. Huntsville has been serving as an HQ2 and they have been moving many people from the DC HQ location to Huntsville. I'm wondering if new agents and IAs will be sent to Huntsville as well or if it's more for people who've been around longer.

Oh, okay. Well Huntsville aside, I guess you've heard of agents being sent to HQ straight out of Quantico? That's interesting.

Edited by user Saturday, February 27, 2021 9:19:07 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ThatGuy  
#182 Posted : Saturday, February 27, 2021 7:27:55 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 18 post(s)
There is zero chance a new agent will be assigned to HQ, which includes Huntsville. There are SAs at HQ, but those are specialized positions. You rank all the FOs at Quantico and HQ is not lart of that.. Also, right now only specific divisions are moving to Huntsville. That won't affect new agents either.
FBIHopeful23  
#183 Posted : Saturday, March 13, 2021 8:00:45 AM(UTC)
FBIHopeful23

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Do you need to swim at Q? I hate pools so jw.
TexasBoy1989  
#184 Posted : Saturday, March 13, 2021 11:39:29 AM(UTC)
TexasBoy1989

Man
United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FBIHopeful23 Go to Quoted Post

No but you can use the pool on the weekends for exercise if you want
thanks 1 user thanked TexasBoy1989 for this useful post.
S. Florida Chick on 7/20/2021(UTC)
FBIHopeful23  
#185 Posted : Saturday, March 13, 2021 12:36:35 PM(UTC)
FBIHopeful23

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TexasBoy1989 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: FBIHopeful23 Go to Quoted Post

No but you can use the pool on the weekends for exercise if you want

Hate pools lol but I heard you have to jump into the pool during the academy, is that true?
thanks 1 user thanked FBIHopeful23 for this useful post.
DEPTOSA on 3/26/2021(UTC)
FBI21  
#186 Posted : Friday, March 26, 2021 6:15:14 PM(UTC)
FBI21

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TxShortie88 Go to Quoted Post
Nope. HR rep told me that DC is used strictly for pay scale reasons. Week 1 of the academy we will have to rank our FO preference list. Said by week 4 we will have our final, official duty station. While we are in Quantico, we will be receiving DC pay scale (so whatever they told you on your CJO...unless that GS pay band/step changes before final offer). Once we get out of Quantico, we will report back to our CURRENT local FO. We have 90 days to get our affairs in order in our CURRENT location and get to our assigned duty station. But once we leave Q, we will be on the pay scale/locality pay of our assigned FO.
So if you live in Jackson MS now, once you leave Q you will return to Jackson for up to 90 days. You will get your house packed, train temporarily in Jackson, and get moved. Then you will have to report to lets just say Denver. But you will be on Denver pay as soon as you leave Q.

Originally Posted by: TheSecDev Go to Quoted Post
I spoke with the HR representative and asked the same question. DC is used for the pay scale until a final duty location is assigned and you start there. received my e-Qip stuff yesterday and got it returned back to the local FO. Hopefully this train gets a movin'... I'm sure ready!

Originally Posted by: IAdreamin Go to Quoted Post
You don't not actually get your assignment until week 4 or 5. So definitely don't try to secure housing now. Unless you put DC as your #1, which should pretty much guarantee that's where you're going.

I believe the CJOs use Washington since that is HQ and where apps are processed. I'm fairly certain everyone's says that. Not sure why they can't just leave it blank or TBD. Must be something to do with whatever system they use to issue CJOs.

I don't think I was able to pick anything but Washington under my preferences, what about you?

This is inaccurate as far as timing. If you are a new fbi employee, you get one week between graduation and the time you must report to your new office. There is no 90 day thing unless extremely special circumstance I’m assuming. You can use annual leave if you’d like to add on to that week off, but you won’t accrue much. So, most people have to move rather quickly. Onboard employees get more time/benefits
FBI21  
#187 Posted : Friday, March 26, 2021 6:17:35 PM(UTC)
FBI21

Originally Posted by: Blues19 Go to Quoted Post
Nope. HR rep told me that DC is used strictly for pay scale reasons. Week 1 of the academy we will have to rank our FO preference list. Said by week 4 we will have our final, official duty station. While we are in Quantico, we will be receiving DC pay scale (so whatever they told you on your CJO...unless that GS pay band/step changes before final offer). Once we get out of Quantico, we will report back to our CURRENT local FO. We have 90 days to get our affairs in order in our CURRENT location and get to our assigned duty station. But once we leave Q, we will be on the pay scale/locality pay of our assigned FO.
So if you live in Jackson MS now, once you leave Q you will return to Jackson for up to 90 days. You will get your house packed, train temporarily in Jackson, and get moved. Then you will have to report to lets just say Denver. But you will be on Denver pay as soon as you leave Q.

Originally Posted by: TheSecDev Go to Quoted Post
I spoke with the HR representative and asked the same question. DC is used for the pay scale until a final duty location is assigned and you start there. received my e-Qip stuff yesterday and got it returned back to the local FO. Hopefully this train gets a movin'... I'm sure ready!

Originally Posted by: IAdreamin Go to Quoted Post
You don't not actually get your assignment until week 4 or 5. So definitely don't try to secure housing now. Unless you put DC as your #1, which should pretty much guarantee that's where you're going.

I believe the CJOs use Washington since that is HQ and where apps are processed. I'm fairly certain everyone's says that. Not sure why they can't just leave it blank or TBD. Must be something to do with whatever system they use to issue CJOs.

I don't think I was able to pick anything but Washington under my preferences, what about you?

This is inaccurate as far as timing. If you are a new fbi employee, you get one week between graduation and the time you must report to your new office. There is no 90 day thing unless extremely special circumstance I’m assuming. You can use annual leave if you’d like to add on to that week off, but you won’t accrue much. So, most people have to move rather quickly. Onboard employees get more time/benefits

I meant to add, on order snight, you find out your REGION, not your official orders/ city. For example, orders night you may be told Minneapolis, but your official orders will come between the next 2-6 weeks and you could be assigned an RA in one of the Dakotas. Look at the RA map. It’s important when ranking your cities
eastwest  
#188 Posted : Saturday, March 27, 2021 1:58:35 AM(UTC)
eastwest

United States

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 25 post(s)
1 week? That means you need to have your housing/moving in order a couple months out from graduation. Phew.
FBI21  
#189 Posted : Saturday, March 27, 2021 6:54:30 AM(UTC)
FBI21

Originally Posted by: eastwest Go to Quoted Post
1 week? That means you need to have your housing/moving in order a couple months out from graduation. Phew.

Yes. You get 40 admin hours that you can use how you choose. If you drive to Q, they will also allowance you X amount of travel days to get home, and then X amount of travel days to the new city ( I use X bc the number of days varies upon the miles). However, say I’m allowed three travel days, but I get home in one, I lose those other two travel days. Make sense? So you get travel days, plus 40 hours. If you want to use AL you can as well. Nee employees pretty much need to find housing while at Q. Onboard employees have a lot more time/benefits
thanks 1 user thanked FBI21 for this useful post.
1995JeepCherokee on 3/28/2021(UTC)
1995JeepCherokee  
#190 Posted : Saturday, March 27, 2021 7:21:23 AM(UTC)
1995JeepCherokee

United States

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 42 post(s)

Yes. You get 40 admin hours that you can use how you choose. If you drive to Q, they will also allowance you X amount of travel days to get home, and then X amount of travel days to the new city ( I use X bc the number of days varies upon the miles). However, say I’m allowed three travel days, but I get home in one, I lose those other two travel days. Make sense? So you get travel days, plus 40 hours. If you want to use AL you can as well. Nee employees pretty much need to find housing while at Q. Onboard employees have a lot more time/benefits

Do you not get temporary housing? I was told, at least at some point in the past, you would get put up in temporary quarters like a long term stay hotel for a month or two at your new office and all your stuff would be put in storage while you had time to do in-person house hunting and get a place
eastwest  
#191 Posted : Saturday, March 27, 2021 7:55:57 AM(UTC)
eastwest

United States

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 25 post(s)
In that case I'd like the suite at the Hyatt.

These days realtors do a lot of virtual tours so it's not as bad finding a home remotely. Google maps does wonders as well.
Heyguys222  
#192 Posted : Sunday, March 28, 2021 12:13:01 PM(UTC)
Heyguys222

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I want to clarify some things about ranking the FOs since I’m hearing mixed things. I’ve heard listing a major FO such as NY, LA, SF as your #1 means you’re almost guaranteed to go there. I’ve also heard there is a one time payment they’ll give you if you put one of the major FOs in your top spot. Also is DC not on that list? I’ve seen some say DC is a place you’ll go if you list it high others saying DC is really hard to get. I live in Maryland so ideally I’d want to be in the DC area but I’m fine if that isn’t going to happen.

Once you find out where you’re going will they help you at all finding housing? I’d love to live in LA but driving in every day in that traffic would be rough so I would want a place not too far away. I know nothing about the area so it would be hard for me to figure out what places are within a decent distance but affordable. Do they put you in contact with a local agent who can suggest locations to look at or are you on your own?
FBI21  
#193 Posted : Sunday, March 28, 2021 12:18:15 PM(UTC)
FBI21

Originally Posted by: 1995JeepCherokee Go to Quoted Post

Do you not get temporary housing? I was told, at least at some point in the past, you would get put up in temporary quarters like a long term stay hotel for a month or two at your new office and all your stuff would be put in storage while you had time to do in-person house hunting and get a place

No they don’t do that. Onboard employees get house hunting trips, but not people new to the bureau.
thanks 1 user thanked FBI21 for this useful post.
1995JeepCherokee on 3/28/2021(UTC)
FBI21  
#194 Posted : Sunday, March 28, 2021 12:22:22 PM(UTC)
FBI21

Originally Posted by: Heyguys222 Go to Quoted Post
I want to clarify some things about ranking the FOs since I’m hearing mixed things. I’ve heard listing a major FO such as NY, LA, SF as your #1 means you’re almost guaranteed to go there. I’ve also heard there is a one time payment they’ll give you if you put one of the major FOs in your top spot. Also is DC not on that list? I’ve seen some say DC is a place you’ll go if you list it high others saying DC is really hard to get. I live in Maryland so ideally I’d want to be in the DC area but I’m fine if that isn’t going to happen.

Once you find out where you’re going will they help you at all finding housing? I’d love to live in LA but driving in every day in that traffic would be rough so I would want a place not too far away. I know nothing about the area so it would be hard for me to figure out what places are within a decent distance but affordable. Do they put you in contact with a local agent who can suggest locations to look at or are you on your own?

You are guaranteed those three cities if you put them number one. I’ve seen tons of people get sent to DC so I don’t think it’s that hard as long as you ranked it very high. Also, per covid, we were told that if family/friends could help travel to find a place for us to live, that’s our best bet. Other than that, we are on our own. I’m sure some agents can assist with resources if you reach out and ask but it’s a solo mission mostly. We mostly utilized each other if some of our classmates were from the areas we are going to.
sunshinegirl  
#195 Posted : Sunday, July 18, 2021 7:17:51 AM(UTC)
sunshinegirl

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Regarding laundry detergent for the washers and dryers at Q: I know it has to be HE, but does anyone know if we can use pods or is it best to just use a liquid? I’m trying to decide if I can take what I have or if I need to buy something new.

Thanks!
S. Florida Chick  
#196 Posted : Tuesday, July 20, 2021 7:40:18 AM(UTC)
S. Florida Chick

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
When you are looking for housing, everyone is buying houses while being on probation for two years?

Curious to know. I was more so looking at rental options.
FuzzyWuzzy  
#197 Posted : Tuesday, July 20, 2021 10:08:36 AM(UTC)
FuzzyWuzzy

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I read somewhere about "suitability notations" during the Academy. Word is that once you have enough of these, you get called to a review board and can get dropped from the Academy.

Do you get them from normal infractions like being late to class, not bringing your books to class, or failing at a training event? It sounds like demerits you can get in some military schools such as not packing the correct packing lists or being out of uniform.

Any insight that can be shared will be appreciated. If you are on time to all of your classes and events and a decent student, do you need to worry about this?

Honorthecode  
#198 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2021 2:29:17 PM(UTC)
Honorthecode

United States

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jcam85 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: jreff22 Go to Quoted Post
Make sure you have business attire and business casual attire with you.

How often are you in business casual attire? I plan on taking 2 suits and 4 dress shirts for business attire, but wondering if 1 pair of khaki pants and 1 or 2 polos would be enough for business casual...

Also, I'm certain I'll have to wear long-sleeved undershirts because I have tattoos, are there any restrictions on what kind of fabric/brand it has to be?

Anybody have an answer to the long sleeves question? I have tattoos as well and am expecting to have to cover them during the academy.

Thanks!
CriminalIA  
#199 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2021 4:12:04 PM(UTC)
CriminalIA

United States

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Honorthecode Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: jcam85 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: jreff22 Go to Quoted Post
Make sure you have business attire and business casual attire with you.

How often are you in business casual attire? I plan on taking 2 suits and 4 dress shirts for business attire, but wondering if 1 pair of khaki pants and 1 or 2 polos would be enough for business casual...

Also, I'm certain I'll have to wear long-sleeved undershirts because I have tattoos, are there any restrictions on what kind of fabric/brand it has to be?

Anybody have an answer to the long sleeves question? I have tattoos as well and am expecting to have to cover them during the academy.

Thanks!

From the IASP info packet page 38 (https://www.fbijobs.gov/career-paths/intelligence-analysts ... [Link near the bottom of that page] the special agent booklet should have the same info - I'm just more familiar with this one since I'm an IA candidate): "If a tattoo is determined to be disruptive to the learning environment, the trainee will be required to cover the tattoo(s) by acquiring similarly colored long sleeves or a long-sleeved shirt to wear under his or her polo."

This page (https://www.fbijobs.gov/working-at-FBI/academy) says: "Candidates with visible tattoos must wear dark blue or black long-sleeved T-shirts."

The suggested NAT packing list (https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/suggested-packing-list-for-new-agent-trainees/view) says navy short and long sleeved undershirts.

The suggested NIAT packing list (https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/suggested-packing-list-for-new-intelligence-analysts.pdf/view) days the same.

I would imagine navy would be a good option.

thanks 1 user thanked CriminalIA for this useful post.
cmar on 8/19/2021(UTC)
Honorthecode  
#200 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2021 4:16:26 PM(UTC)
Honorthecode

United States

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 20 post(s)
They just aren’t very clear on the material. Obviously some sort of wicking undershirt would be better but not sure if they want it to be cotton (and thank you).
Rss Feed  Atom Feed