Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 01, 2009 1:57:43 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I have heard rumours that if you get fired from a federal job that you can never work for the federal government ever again in your life. That seems pretty outrageous to me and unfounded. I also heard that it may be tough finding a new job as well. That last statement I can believe. Could anyone point me to the website where it says "You can never work for the federal gov't again if you get fired from a federal job."? I don't see hard facts based upon this and I have been searching everywhere for this.
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 01, 2009 8:14:18 PM(UTC)

Generally- and there are exceptions- it is very difficult to get hired by the Federal government after you have been fired from the Federal government. It shouldn't be to hard to figure out why if you think about it. Most supervisors do not want someone who did not perform sucessfully at their last job. Depending on why you were fired, you may not be able to pass the necessary background or security clearances.

I have seen people hired who did not make it pass their probationary period- the hiring official realized they just weren't a good fit for that particular job.
I am sorry, but I do not have the time to respond to private messages. I will not respond to them.
#3 Posted : Monday, November 02, 2009 4:12:28 AM(UTC)

Flip side of that, you may get back with the federal govenment, especially if you were discharged during probation. "did not meet probationary requirements". Maybe you were not a good job fit, or whatever. The key element though, is non-fault termination.

Get another job for a few years, have a good reference. Re-apply with federal gov, if you get an interview, be open about what happened, IF ASKED about previous termination, discuss why you did not meet probation requirements, IE...I had overwhelming family issues at the time, health problems, did not have knowledge to perform that job, whatever the issue was...(don't say boss was a jerk).

Sometimes things just don't work out, but that does not mean that you can't be hired for a different agency, or same agency, with a different boss. But, it does mean that you will have to overcome that issue during the interview, if you get an interview.
#4 Posted : Monday, November 02, 2009 5:33:31 AM(UTC)

The trick is to resign before termination because the "bad paper" in the personnel records disappears after one year.

I had a worthless slug at a previous assignment who was about to get fired. The rule at this Air Force base was 3 reprimands were required to fire a civilian employee. He had 2 solid reprimands and had just committed the offense (insubordination) that would get him the magic third reprimand. But before that could be served, he resigned. As soon as the paperwork cleared his folder, he found another civil service job at a different Air Force base, where I'm sure they are so happy to have him.
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 05, 2009 5:19:34 AM(UTC)

Think about it. It's takes more to get fired from a federal job than other, so if you did get fired, you must have done something really bad, therefore it SHOULD be nearly impossible, or impossible to get rehired.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed