Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Retirees

For those approaching retirement as well as the currently already retired, here is a forum to share ideas and thoughts and exchange questions and answers.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

To maximize your retirement, we also suggest you read "Retired Federal Employees Almanac".

(Reminder: soliciting of services is not allowed on this site.)

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rmodica60  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 29, 2008 3:10:34 AM(UTC)
rmodica60

Groups: Registered

I am a retired civil service employee with 27years. I want to go to work for the Census Brueau part time, am I eligable to work without any penalty?
oneball  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 01, 2009 9:43:04 PM(UTC)
oneball

I'm not an expert on the subject but my wife used to work there. I believe the answer is you can work on the 2010 census (or 2020) but not on their "normal" daily operations. For those that don't know, census is interviewing on dozens of surveys every day. The one every 10 years is just the biggest and most famous.
edalder  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 02, 2009 12:22:50 AM(UTC)
edalder

OPM granted a waiver that allowed Federal retirees to work on that Census without docking annuities.

I would imagine that a similar waiver will be available for the 2010 Census. If you apply and are selected, ask about this one.

Please note that these particular jobs are temporary, seldom lasting longer than 180 days. Many of them probably will only last 12 to 16 weeks. Many of the jobs involve visiting the households and addresses that did not return the written Census form that the Census Bureau mails out.
Kivi
Salty  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 10, 2009 8:49:59 PM(UTC)
Salty

= "Reemployed Annuitant" There is a thread in that area on working for 2010 Census ... but, no congressional action as far as I can find out.

I've searched "Thomas" and as far as I can tell, no action so far.

If you have any firm information, either way, please post it ASAP, along with references or URLs to back it up.

Thanks! Razz
nasaengr  
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 11, 2009 11:08:54 PM(UTC)
nasaengr

As a CSRS retiree, I also want to work on the census without penalty. Here is the answer they gave me:
"Thank you for using the US Census Bureau's Question & Answer Center. If you apply and are selected for one of the various census jobs in the field such as Enumerator or Recruiting Assistant, then you may be eligible to receive both your complete annuity and the full pay accorded to the position. During the application process, one of the forms will ask you to indicate that you are an annuitant.

In some cases, the Census Bureau has the authority to waive the regulations that state that your salary be offset in the amount of your federal annuity. If you are selected for the position, a decision will be made by the Regional Director regarding any effect that your pension may have on your salary. If you accept a position but do not receive an exemption from those regulations, then the amount of your annuity will be deducted from your pay if you accept the position.

Please contact if you have further questions."
db1016  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 15, 2009 1:38:32 AM(UTC)
db1016

Another consideration to keep in mind: if you received a VSIP, you cannot work for Census within a 5-year period without paying back the entire VSIP! Sounds unfair to me, since the government is really needing good people to help with this important project, but that is what I was told.
let me out  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2009 8:04:54 AM(UTC)
let me out

Does anyone have any new information regarding CSRS annuitants eligible to work for the 2010 Census without it affecting annuity? I can't seem to get a local (Kansas City) person to say either way.
Salty  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 10, 2009 7:59:46 PM(UTC)
Salty

I have an offer of employment as an address checker starting 30 March.

Just this week I got an answer from Census that wasn't an answer at all. It seems that the REGIONAL Director can grant one, if he/she so chooses.

Also, lots of picky use of terminology. They can't touch our annuities. And they won't. They just won't pay you for the hours worked, _unless_ the Regional Director has determined that they really need our/your hot little bodies.

I am going to report for training, & give them a few days to show me something in writing, over a signature, that convinces me that Census will actually pay me.

Will post what happens, either way ... but, if I really do get to work on Census 2010, my post may be a bit delayed because I'll be working too hard/long for play time on the web.
roskopfm  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2009 10:36:48 AM(UTC)
roskopfm

are current employees allowed to work part time for the 2010 Census. I work four 10 hour days and would love to get a little extra cash on my day off doing the census stuff. I know I need approval from my department, but is allowable to work for two agencies at the same time? Anyone try it.
jaybones  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2009 9:01:46 PM(UTC)
jaybones

First, shouldn't that be Brett Favre WAS the best ever?

Second, you can't work for two agencies at the same time because of the FLSA rules. If you worked or took leave for 40 hours at your regular job and then worked weekends for Census, you would have to be paid overtime by one or both of the agencies because you are over 40 hours in a week for the same employer, Uncle Sam. Uncle doesn't want to get itself into that situation.

You could double check with your Ethics Officer, if you want a definitive answer from your own agency's officials.

Third, either way it's not accurate since Tom Brady came along. ;-)
roskopfm  
#11 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2009 12:54:27 AM(UTC)
roskopfm

Thats not totally true.

1. First Brett IS the best ever, means someone is currently better than him now. He is the best ever to play QB in the NFL.
2. You can work for one agency and be on annual leave while you are active duty for military training/drills etc... You earn two checks in the same pay period from two agencies and dont get overtime.
3. Tom Brady, Hahaha! he had one good year because of his great supporting cast, look at his record before that, he was an average QB before. Then he goes on IR. Brett has never had a stud to through to and has played every game for 17 solid years. Cal Ripkin you got company.
jaybones  
#12 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2009 4:15:37 AM(UTC)
jaybones

Tom Brady, one good year???
Come on, what about 4 trips to the Super Bowl in 7 years with 2 MVPs?

He started every game, once he became the starter until that one horrible injury last year.

What, Favre made it to the Super Bowl once?

I know Favre is great! After all he holds the record for most career interceptions. (sorry, I had to throw that in there)

I think you have to give Tom Terrific more credit than you are.
saratow  
#13 Posted : Sunday, April 19, 2009 12:59:02 AM(UTC)
saratow

Salty - Did you get the waiver? I've worked for Census for a week before I learned there was an issue and now cannot get an answer.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed