Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Retirees

For those approaching retirement as well as the currently already retired, here is a forum to share ideas and thoughts and exchange questions and answers.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

To maximize your retirement, we also suggest you read "Retired Federal Employees Almanac".

(Reminder: soliciting of services is not allowed on this site.)

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ahnold  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2009 12:00:59 AM(UTC)
Ahnold

Groups: Registered

Hello All,
If this has not yet been posted, then rejoice.
OPM has authorized the issuance of a CAC-type ID for civilian retirees of DoD agencies.

https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/smartcard/owa/ShowPage?p=CIV_RET.html

It does not convey any privileges, but IMO should make many MWR resources available to civilian retirees at the discretion of installation commanders - e.g. golf course, theater, all-hands clubs, beaches, etc.
Warrenlm  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2009 8:04:56 AM(UTC)
Warrenlm

quote:
Originally posted by Ahnold:
Hello All,
If this has not yet been posted, then rejoice.
OPM has authorized the issuance of a CAC-type ID for civilian retirees of DoD agencies.

https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/smartcard/owa/ShowPage?p=CIV_RET.html

It does not convey any privileges, but IMO should make many MWR resources available to civilian retirees at the discretion of installation commanders - e.g. golf course, theater, all-hands clubs, beaches, etc.

This link parses over to a login page. Without logging in, one cannot view it. Would you cut and paste the relevant parts? This is really great news.
dcec  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2009 8:14:30 AM(UTC)
dcec

Yes! Very good news. But the link wouldn't work for me either. Do you need a sponsor to get the card?
Ahnold  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2009 11:20:18 AM(UTC)
Ahnold

Sorry for the secure link.
I have cut and pasted most all of the text available, sorry no pics:

Information Paper
Civilian Retiree Card Communications Plan

The Defense Manpower Data Center (DMDC) is the Department of Defense (DoD) enterprise human resource information source that provides secure solutions for the issuance and use of identity credentials to support the Department’s mission. It supports over 1,500 Real-time Automated Personnel Identification System (RAPIDS) sites with over 2,250 workstations worldwide that issue identification cards.

On December 30, 2005, USD (P&R) policy authorized retired DoD civilian employees to receive an identification card that will be produced by RAPIDS ID card facilities. This card will be a trusted credential used to establish identity and affiliation to the Department of Defense and will provide retired DoD civilians with a uniform DoD identification card that can be easily recognized at any DoD base or facility within the United States and its territories or possessions. Those eligible for the card are civilians who retire from any DoD Service Component or Agency. When civilians are in receipt of their DoD retirement pay, they may contact their local RAPIDS site for issuance.
The following key messages and themes will be part of all communications efforts related to the Civilian Retiree card:

This card does not guarantee civilian retirees access to DoD bases or facilities within the United States nor its territories or possessions.
The installation commander retains the authority to restrict access to MWR facilities for reasons such as local demand, facility capacity, and security concerns.
Pay Grade status is an optional field that may be displayed on the card. Retirees must show proof of their pay grade at retirement, if they want that information displayed on their card.
In order to fulfill this requirement, modifications to business processes, cardstock management, and RAPIDS software must occur that will allow civilian retirees to be issued a chipless, plastic ID card. Specific guidelines and procedures for retiree status verification, card topology, and policy constraints are being coordinated with the PIPS division and DHRA.
DMDC has developed a Civilian Retiree Card Communications Plan that conveys the availability of the card to the retiree populations most apt to reap its limited benefit, yet not overwhelm the RAPIDS sites. The issuance of Civilian Retiree cards is scheduled to begin by the end of calendar year 2008.

The key challenge for DMDC is to manage the expectations of the use of this new ID. Since there is no benefit with the card, only an established affiliation to the Department of Defense, not every DoD civilian retiree will benefit from having the card.
Questions about the plan should be emailed to CACsupport@osd.pentagon.mil.

The Department of Defense has authorized retired DoD civilian employees an identification card. This card is a trusted credential used to establish identity and affiliation with the Department of Defense and will provide retired DoD civilians with a uniform DoD identification card that can be easily recognized at any DoD base or facility within the United States and its territories or possessions. Those eligible for the card are civilians who retire from any DoD Service Component or Agency. A sample DoD civilian retiree card is displayed below:

In accordance with DoD Morale, Welfare, and Recreation (MWR) policy, limited use of military MWR activities are permitted at the discretion of the installation commander. The installation commander retains the authority to restrict access to MWR facilities for reasons such as local demand, facility capacity, and security concerns. Service civilian retiree IDs remain valid.

DoD Civilian Retiree Card
Frequently Asked Questions

What is the purpose of the card?

Since many retired DoD civilians have no way
of identifying their association with the
Department of Defense, this card provides
them with a trusted credential to establish
their identity and affiliation. Some, but not all,
military installations allow retired civilians
access to MWR facilities with proper
identification.

Who is eligible to receive the card?

Civilians who have retired from any DoD
Service Component or Agency. Civilian
retirees from other Federal agencies are
not eligible.

When can I get this card?

When you are in receipt of your DoD
retirement pay.

Where can I go to get the card?

Contact your nearest RAPIDS site
(www.dmdc.osd.mil/rsl/owa/home).

Customer service hours vary.

What do I need to bring with me?
Two forms of ID from the OMB I-9 document
list. One must be a federal or state issued
picture ID. Visit www.formi9.com for more
information. Also bring proof of pay grade
at retirement.

www.dmdc.osd.mil/smartcard

Does the card expire?
Yes. It is renewable every four years.

If I already have a retiree card
from my DoD Service Component or
Agency, do I need this card?

No. It does not convey any additional
privileges.

Is this card optional?

Yes. This is an optional card that can be
issued for civilian retirees that use base
MWR facilities.

The installation commander retains the
authority to restrict access to MWR facilities
for reasons such as local demand, facility
capacity, and security concerns.

Who may I contact if my retirement
record does not show in DEERS?

You may contact the Civilian Benefits
Information Line by email at
benefits@cpms.osd.mil
or by phone at (703) 696-6301.

Downloadable Products
The following marketing products can be downloaded and printed:

* Communications Plan Information Paper - contains key messages and background information

* Civilian Retiree Card FAQs (Tri-fold) - contains detailed questions and answers regarding eligibility and issuance of the card

Questions about these products should be should be emailed to CACsupport@osd.pentagon.mil.

Questions about retirement records should be should be emailed to benefits@cpms.osd.mil.
Ahnold  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2009 11:25:04 AM(UTC)
Ahnold

Also an update.
Today, I contacted our Joint Reception Center (JRC), (basically Pass and ID) for MCB Camp Pendleton, and they acknowleged that they are issuing these cards now. WOOT!
government1956  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 06, 2009 12:52:15 AM(UTC)
government1956

We’re pleased to report that the civilian retiree ID card project has finally moved ahead. For individuals to be eligible for the ID card, the Defense Data Manpower Center (DMDC) must have a record that they are a civilian Coast Guard retiree. For eligible civilians, they receive a Combined Access Card (CAC) like identification, but without the microchip. The Coast Guard was able to get a one-time ten (10) years of civilian retiree data (January 1999 to January 2009) into the DMDC database that drives the issuance of the cards. The Coast Guard has yet to work out an effective on-going process to get data into DMDC from the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) as OPM maintains all civilian retiree records, not the respective agencies. For individuals retiring after January 2009, for now they can bring a copy of their SF-50 to their respective DEERS/RAPIDS site to get a card issued. For those retired before Janaury1999, it appears that this issue will not be resolved in the immediate future.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed