Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Retirees

For those approaching retirement as well as the currently already retired, here is a forum to share ideas and thoughts and exchange questions and answers.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

To maximize your retirement, we also suggest you read "Retired Federal Employees Almanac".

(Reminder: soliciting of services is not allowed on this site.)

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
government1956  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2009 10:55:48 PM(UTC)
government1956

Groups: Registered

hello all, just wondering what your thought are on this new proposed bill to rehire former federal retirees. The unions are opposing it because they feel that jobs will be taken from current feds and the retired feds cannot be in the union.

I think it's a good idea, they want retired feds for their government experience and it's only part time.

Love to hear your views on this. Smile
KyKathy  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2009 3:25:25 AM(UTC)
KyKathy

Sounds like a good thing for the PO. Sure beats hiring all the young people who want the check but don't want to do anything for it and/or are stealing the place blind. Hope it works out
The HalfBreed  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2009 3:11:26 PM(UTC)
The HalfBreed

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I say if someone wanted to work, they should have never retired. If all the retired folks came back to work, the young adults would find it even more difficult to get a job. That bill should and will fail.
RETIRED 12/19/2012 !!! Good Bye Tension !!! Hello Pension !!!
robertray  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2009 9:20:09 PM(UTC)
robertray

I will be retiring at the end of next month after 36 years with the IRS. 25 of those years was in Senior Manager positions and I have had the opporutnity to use the re-employed annuitant program for the last 4 years. First, the program is limited in tenure of the person re-employed to about 1040 hours a year with a limit, i.e., you cannot work forever. I used the process to bring in senior, seasoned, folks to mentor and coach new managers and agents. It is unbelievable to me that HalfBreed thinks the bill should fail. It is available now, they are just expanding it. It is a great opporutnity to bridge the gap of "brain drain". If the only REASON someone is coming back just for the pay check, I agree they should not have retired in the first place. The bill will pass and I will participate in 6 months. Cool
ChillinOut  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2009 9:58:14 PM(UTC)
ChillinOut

Here are some myths I've observed about retirees returning to work part-time:

He/she

--doesn't have any hobbies.
--can't stand 24/7 with the spouse.
--has big bills that need to be paid off.

Many people enjoy the mental stimulation and person-to-person contact of working. This does not mean everyone wants to work 40 hours per week & fight heavy traffic for two hours each day. A part-time schedule permits someone to set up a schedule that eliminates commuting during rush hour.

I've observed many retirees come back to work part-time and make a tremendous contribution. A person who has worked hard all his/her life and always been a good employee is not suddenly transformed by an annuity check.

The bill is a good idea because it permits an agency to pay the retiree the market rate.
freeageless  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2009 10:23:54 PM(UTC)
freeageless

I don't think they are myths. I am a retiree, and those alleged myths are the only reason(s), I would ever consider going back to work part-time or full time.

"Here are some myths I've observed about retirees returning to work part-time:

He/she

--doesn't have any hobbies.
--can't stand 24/7 with the spouse.
--has big bills that need to be paid off."
kistari  
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2009 12:32:13 AM(UTC)
kistari

After 22 years of it, I don't think I could go back to the strictures of life with the IRS - even as a trainer.
br549  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 03, 2009 9:57:46 AM(UTC)
br549

Isn't this the same bill that was introduced in Congress last year, and never made it out of committee?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed