Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Financial Discussion

It is always wise to have a secure financial foundation. Here is a place to ask questions, exchange ideas and share information on how to make the most of your money.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
elg webmaster  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 2, 2009 7:08:30 AM(UTC)
elgwebmaster

Groups: Registered

Don't know much about GS, so can someone help me out..

1) Let's say there's no promotion path to the position you applied to (GS12, nothing stated after that) and they start you off at Step 9 or 10. Once you reach that cap of Step 10, what happens to your salary after that?

2) I'm aware the higher the Step you are, it takes longer for the next Step increase. But every yr, do you at least get a 'bonus' and cost of living adjustment?

(I'm thinking of applying from NSPS to GS.)
PattyPies  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 2, 2009 7:20:41 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
quote:
Originally posted by elg:
Don't know much about GS, so can someone help me out..

1) Let's say there's no promotion path to the position you applied to (GS12, nothing stated after that) and they start you off at Step 9 or 10. Once you reach that cap of Step 10, what happens to your salary after that?

If you're in a job where there is no promotion potential after Step 10 you would just get the annual raise that you get every year. This year Obama wants to give us 2%. So if you're at a Grade 10 you won't notice much of a difference in your weekly paycheck.

2) I'm aware the higher the Step you are, it takes longer for the next Step increase. But every yr, do you at least get a 'bonus' and cost of living adjustment? It's not really called a Cost of Living Adjustment (everyone has a term for it and I just call it a "raise" and you get it in January and it's a certain percentage across the board depending on your locality area. Some agencies give bonuses and some do not. They're based on performance and how high your evaluation is. I work for the IRS and last year my Performance Award (GS-13) was $2,200 or around that (before taxes) but some people never see them so you can't really count on that.

(I'm thinking of applying from NSPS to GS.)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed