Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

General Conversations

Within this forum, you can:

• share experiences as a federal employee
  • ask for some general help from fellow federal employees
  • offer helpful advice
  • make this world a better place (doesn't hurt to try)

Please keep in mind that this is not an opportunity to "step up on a soap box." Let's keep things clean, polite and useful. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jane.kellner  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 04, 2007 12:11:55 AM(UTC)
jane.kellner

Groups: Registered

Has there been any talk about closing or early dismissal on these days ?
eagle918  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 04, 2007 1:02:37 AM(UTC)
eagle918

LOL- lots of talk but not from those who decide the issue! There is some precedent for declaring 12/24 a government wide holiday (it was done in 2001)- but there is no word about this year. I am not aware of 12/31 ever being declared a government holiday.

Early dismissal on either of those two days does not require an executive order- it's up to agency management. You'll find wide variations in early dismissal from several hours to none.
SharonL  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 04, 2007 7:02:48 AM(UTC)
SharonL

Per Government Executive in 2001 (prior to the decision to give feds the day off) "Since 1956 Christmas has fallen on a Tuesday six times" ... in 1956, 1962, 1973, and 1979 federal employees were given the full day off; in 1984 OPM issued a memorandum permitting supervisors to allow workers to leave "up to 3 hours early" and in 1990 we were granted a 1/2 day off. Dates the order were issued ranged from as early as Nov 21 to as late as Dec 17 so at this point, who knows.
treblig  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 04, 2007 7:17:50 AM(UTC)
treblig

With all the talk about sending out furlow chits to 100,000 civilian employees I would hesitate to ask for a day off for Christmas....you may get more than a day off!!Gil in Tex
shiisa  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 04, 2007 10:21:09 AM(UTC)
shiisa

The last time Christmas was on a Thursday, I believe we were given the 26th as a day off also...

I agree though, that with the talk of furloughs, it would be a tough row to call the 24th a holiday... it's a pretty expensive gift!!
jaybones  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 04, 2007 9:18:45 PM(UTC)
jaybones

If I recall correctly, the President's message giving 12/24/2001 off included some reference to all the overtime that Federal employees put in following 9/11. If that was the rationale for 2001, it doesn't exist now. As others have mentioned with possible pink slips going out to our brothers at DOD, there is plenty of reason not to grant the time. We, Federal employees, get more annual leave and holidays than most employees in this country. I think we should count our blessings at this time of year and stop being so greedy. This comment is from someone that usually complains about just about everything connected with this administration.
nwdgov  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 04, 2007 11:21:37 PM(UTC)
nwdgov

Just guessing, I would say that the same administration would do the same thing they did in 2001. But, then again things change and who knows. The only thing that I know is that I have Use/Lose scheduled that day, and I would really like to know so I don't have to do the paperwork regarding restored leave. I travel a lot with my agency, so most of us have use/lose.

I am going to keep a few days open the first week of January just in case they give us off. It's Probably a best practice for people in my position. As for the rest of you with out any U/L, try to remember the vacation you took earlier in the year and try not worry about the freebee.

P.S. Great job SharonL on the history research. Smile I bet you work for the BLS since you know the dates of leave granting...or maybe I'm just to stupid to find it online somewhere.
jaybones  
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2007 4:29:22 AM(UTC)
jaybones

The White House just issued the order giving us 12/24 off.
SharonL  
#9 Posted : Thursday, December 06, 2007 6:37:18 AM(UTC)
SharonL

jaybones beat me to it... just received notice through my chain of command... the reference (if allowed to post) is http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2007/12/20071206-5.html#
Rss Feed  Atom Feed