Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

General Conversations

Within this forum, you can:

• share experiences as a federal employee
  • ask for some general help from fellow federal employees
  • offer helpful advice
  • make this world a better place (doesn't hurt to try)

Please keep in mind that this is not an opportunity to "step up on a soap box." Let's keep things clean, polite and useful. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
beachbum74  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 04, 2008 2:52:07 AM(UTC)
beachbum74

Groups: Registered

I am seeking feed back about the idea that it might be a good idea to switch to 10 hour work days and go in 4 days a week vice 5 days a week/8 hours a day. The basic premise is that energy/money could be saved for both individuals (less driving to work) and commands (run electricity less). The state of Utah apparently just went to this model and if anyone has some keen insight (ie it won't work because of this or its a great idea because of that) I would greatly appreciate it....
The HalfBreed  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 04, 2008 1:46:36 PM(UTC)
The HalfBreed

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Depends on your situation.

Some with children don't like it because they're away from them for 10 hrs (not including commute), but OTOH, you can be there for 3 days instead of 2. Shopping etc on a weekeday without crowds can be a good thing. Less gas expenditures, same time in the car, more time with family. You still use 40 hrs/week for leave, but, coupled with a holiday, you use 30 instead of 32. Not a real issue there. You can do Mon-Thurs then Tue-Fri for a 4 day and a 2 day break every pay period. I work 7 days a week, so, I can cram Wed-Sat, then Sun-Wed and get a 5 or even a 6 day break, but you pay for it somewhere along the line.

Wintertimes, you go to work in the dark, come home in the dark....not great, but....

Try it....you can always go back if you don't care for it.
RETIRED 12/19/2012 !!! Good Bye Tension !!! Hello Pension !!!
Sharl  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 04, 2008 9:02:21 PM(UTC)
Sharl

Except that it does make a rather long day, I really liked it when I worked it a few years ago. I liked having a three day weekend every week. I can't think of any cons except the long day part.
Fonz  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 04, 2008 9:11:16 PM(UTC)
Fonz

The negatives have to do with scheduling workers so that the office is covered at all times. There are also some offices that deal mostly with walk-in customers. In those situations it may not be feasible to have the staff go to the 4/10 work day since customers may not be serviced as required.
Comp time  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 04, 2008 10:01:16 PM(UTC)
Comp time

The problem with federal employees going to this, as far as with non exempt employees, under OPM 551.501 overtime is paid after 8 hrs of work, not on the 40 hr. week. Under OPM 551.513 it states we get the better of the two. If they take the overtime after 8 hours away, we will never get it back. Be careful. They might try to introduce 80 hr. work schedules. 50 hrs. one week and 30 the next. Personally I hope it doesn't change. Goodluck
ICED OUT  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 04, 2008 10:02:22 PM(UTC)
ICED OUT

I drive an hour each way because my husband and I work in different cities so we live in between the two cities. My gas bill has doubled.

I would be wonderful it an Agency looked at the coverage they would have and if there was ammple coverage, offer the 10/4 to those employees interested. But an agnecy actually caring what burden the doubling in the price of gas is having on their employees? GET REAL! At my Agency the ones that would make that decision are driving government cars to and from work and making over $100,000 so what do they care, they would get nothing from it!
FLA_bound  
#7 Posted : Monday, August 04, 2008 10:29:13 PM(UTC)
FLA_bound

I just started on the 4 - 10 shift yesterday. The longer days aren't so bad. I'm gonna like the long weekends and the gas savings. But as I understand it, every holiday I'll have to use 2 hours of leave. Is that true? What happens when a holiday falls on my day off? Anybody??
SharonL  
#8 Posted : Monday, August 04, 2008 11:40:10 PM(UTC)
SharonL

Our former agency head reluctantly agreed to a 9 hour schedule where you work 9 hour days for 8 days in a pay period, one 8 hour day and have one day off. He was adamant that studies show productivity drops once you go past the 9 hour mark and repeatedly stated that he would not agree to 10 hour days. I don't know what studies he was citing but this may be a factor for some.
eagle918  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 05, 2008 12:25:17 AM(UTC)
eagle918

FLA-BOUND; I believe that is true- you only get 8 hours credit for a holiday. You have to make up the other 2 hours with leave. If the holiday falls on one of your regularly scheduled off days-you get an in-lieu of holiday- you take it on a scheduled work day.
New14  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 05, 2008 4:34:41 AM(UTC)
New14

Does anyone here actually quote facts instead of: I think, or I heard? FACT: If you are on a compressed workschedule the overtime provisions under the FLSA do not apply. FACT: if you are on a 4 ten schedule, your holidays are 10 hours in length.
dreamn900  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 05, 2008 11:04:56 AM(UTC)
dreamn900

I can't imagine 10. I do 9 with no problem, but hit a wall going into the last hour. I do love my days off, I just cant see being away from home for nearly 12 hours (including commute for me) Eek
The HalfBreed  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, August 05, 2008 1:23:07 PM(UTC)
The HalfBreed

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I'm FLSA NON-Exempt.

Working 10 hr shifts, I get either 10 hours holiday pay, or, if I prefer to observe the holiday, I get the 10 hours off.

If I'm OFF on the holiday, I get 10 hours of "In-Lieu" holiday pay.
RETIRED 12/19/2012 !!! Good Bye Tension !!! Hello Pension !!!
wiljuco  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, August 05, 2008 1:43:11 PM(UTC)
wiljuco

FACT: if you are on a 4 ten schedule, your holidays are 10 hours in length.

Correct. Days of annual leave, sick leave etc count 10 hours. Also, a Monday holiday for example, counts as 10 hours, so you work 3 more days then your 40 is completed for that week.

beachbum74  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, August 06, 2008 4:32:49 AM(UTC)
beachbum74

quote:
Originally posted by New14:
Does anyone here actually quote facts instead of: I think, or I heard? FACT: If you are on a compressed workschedule the overtime provisions under the FLSA do not apply. FACT: if you are on a 4 ten schedule, your holidays are 10 hours in length.

Do you have a reference for this, I would like to look this up.
eagle918  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, August 06, 2008 4:53:28 AM(UTC)
eagle918

I stand corrected- if you are on a fixed compressed schedule you are entitled to holiday hours equal to your scheduled tour of duty for the day. I got your situation confused with maxi-flex which is treated differently.

Two references for you: OPM web site- Alternative Work Schedules Handbook

5CFR610.406(a)
FLA_bound  
#16 Posted : Thursday, August 07, 2008 4:51:11 AM(UTC)
FLA_bound

After some research it seems my agency (SSA) has 2 ways to participate in the 4/10 schedule. You can go in under the fixed compressed work schedule where your holidays are 10 hours, OR, you can take part in the flexible work schedule where your holidays are just 8 hours long and you have to 'make up' the other 2 hours using some kind of leave. Difference is the CWS is a fixed shift (no flextime and no credit hours) whereas the FWS lets you participate in flextime (to a degree) and earn credit hours. Not sure which is best for me...
Rss Feed  Atom Feed