Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

General Conversations

Within this forum, you can:

• share experiences as a federal employee
  • ask for some general help from fellow federal employees
  • offer helpful advice
  • make this world a better place (doesn't hurt to try)

Please keep in mind that this is not an opportunity to "step up on a soap box." Let's keep things clean, polite and useful. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mudpie  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2009 10:20:39 PM(UTC)
mudpie

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Does anyone now if there is any government-wide guidance regarding the minimum square footage of an office cubicle?

I understand the need to be efficient, but at some point smaller work areas create health and safety issues. Currently we have 9x6 ft cubicles that are being reduced to 6x6 including desks, two computers, filing cabinets etc.
hopefulfed  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2009 11:03:40 PM(UTC)
hopefulfed

If they are reducing your cubicle space, are they making room for more cubicles thus more employees? It so that sounds like a good things, at least for those looking for employment.

[This message was edited by Hopefulfed on January 29, 2009 at 12:07 AM.]
Knight  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2009 9:45:34 AM(UTC)
Knight

Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I thought that the GSA had a standard but have not yet found it. I found one office the GSA owns with this statement. "Size of cubicles -55% 8x8, 30% 8x10, 15% 9x12"

DOT had this that matched the above some what: http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/legsregs/directives/orders/42302b.htm

"Field offices allocate the space they are assigned to meet program requirements but may adhere to the following guidelines:
SES Employees - 200 square feet
Office Head - 120 square feet
Supervisors - 120 square feet
All other employees - 64 square feet."

I did find a corporate website plan. http://corpfac.com/Spaceneeds.htm
and they have a average partioned open space as being 100 sq ft (10x10)

Yet Wired magazine found the average cube to be 5x6. http://www.wired.com/techbiz/media/news/2000/05/36158

"A few years ago, Fisher recalls, a typical Silicon Valley cube might have measured 8 feet by 8 feet. No more. Now cubes are more likely to be half or two-thirds that size. In some cases, companies are ordering cubicles as small as 5 by 6, or 30 square feet."
nodog  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2009 10:04:10 AM(UTC)
nodog

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I think my cubical is pretty close to that. I don't mind as probably fifty percent of the time, I'm not sitting there anyway. When I am, I'm either writing a report on the computer, reading a report, looking at prints or talking on the phone. The cube space has three other desk in it and they are civilized people so it's all good. I have adequate drawers and storage cabinets so all is good there. I also have two computers with one monitor/keyboard/mouse, good enough for me. I do recall years back seeing what the "required" square footage was, I think it may have been in the JFTR or is it the JTR but maybe not. I'm an equivalent GS-14 and I really could care less about the size of my cube as long as I have a nice chair and good heat and a/c. Don't sweat the small stuff and give it a good laugh when it goes bad and you'll enjoy it a heck of a lot more. Remember, for the most part, you're only there for eight hours, five days a week. Good Luck.
nodog  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2009 10:12:05 AM(UTC)
nodog

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I also had the reduction in space shock, same as you're going through now. I actually had a nice office with a door at another command as a GS-12. Took a promotion (two step increase lateral) at another command and got a (maybe 12X12) cubical to myself. Took another promotion (GS-13) and shared a cubical (16X16) with three military types. Lateraled to my current command (another two step) and my part of the cubical is probably less than 6X6 and also moved up to equivalent GS-14. So it seems the higher my rate, the smaller my office space. I smile all the way to the bank. Big Grin
bmj  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2009 12:01:12 PM(UTC)
bmj

I've been in everything from open bays to cubes of assorted sizes to a private office. I don't really care about the size of the space, but the one thing that sets an office apart is the ability to close the door, shut out the noise, and actually concentrate on work. I guess some people can tune out the noise, but to me, having phones going off all over the place, a dozen conversations around you, a couple of radios, even on low, and my stress level goes up while my ability to concentrate on work goes down exponentially.

One of the current design concepts for research centers is "forced interaction." The idea that open work areas force people to interact and generate synergy. Well between meetings, phone calls, and assorted drop-in "visitors", I get more forced interaction than I can stand already. I don't need more interaction -- I need time to work.
Ruanne  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2009 1:49:59 PM(UTC)
Ruanne

Did any of you see that Dilbert cartoon where their cubicles are downsized so much they are just walking around wearing them?? I mean, they were squeezed into them like they were in a tube. It was hilarious.

But seriously, as long as the space is quiet and I could get away to it occasionally, I could do with a tiny library carrol.
bmj  
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2009 12:05:55 PM(UTC)
bmj

Ruanne,

One office I worked had cubes about the size of a library carrol. They were actually packed so tight that if someone in cubicle 10, for example, wanted in or out, everyone in cubes 1-9 would have to get up, slide their chairs in and either file out of the row or get on their desk for the other person to get by. Heaven help us if there had ever been a fire.
Nuclear-Angel  
#9 Posted : Friday, January 30, 2009 12:31:47 AM(UTC)
Nuclear-Angel

http://www.gsa.gov/gsa/cm_attachments/GSA_DOCUMENT/spaceuse_2002_R2P52_0Z5RDZ-i34K-pR.pdf

“The Federal government also is shifting away from strict space standards based on pay grade. The Code of Federal Regulations has been updated to encourage space planning based on organizational needs. To reflect this modification, GSA replies to inquiries regarding space allocation, “Space assignments based on pay grade are no longer mandated by Federal regulations, stipulated by GSA, or recommended by the OGP Office of Real Property.”1 This is also reflected in GSA’s policy for an “integrated workplace.”2”

1 U.S. General Services Administration, Office of Governmentwide Policy, Office of Real Property, Response to Request for Guidance on GSA or Federal Space Requirements,
August 2002.
2 U.S. General Services Administration, Office of Governmentwide Policy, Office of Real Property, An Overview—The Integrated Workplace: A Comprehensive Approach to
Developing Workspace [online document], [cited November 2002]. Available from http://www.gsa.gov/attachments/GSA_PUBLICATIONS/pub/Completeiwrpt_1.pdf
Warrenlm  
#10 Posted : Friday, January 30, 2009 5:52:36 AM(UTC)
Warrenlm

There must have been an entertaining post from maxketter in this thread. Did something happen to it?
gilgilgil  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2009 8:46:13 AM(UTC)
gilgilgil

Top this:
An employee GS4 being taken out of an office and is being setup in a hallway.
Fonz  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2009 9:19:59 PM(UTC)
Fonz

DOD has space requirements based on rank/GS rating. Of course this is all calculated into a group rating which includes meeting rooms etc. I have found that if you are a supervisor you generally get a room with a door so that you can do personnel stuff in private with your employees.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed