Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Disability Retirement

The federal government allows employees who are unable to work to retire under a disability retirement. It is in the best interest of both employees and the federal government for employees to remain gainfully employed in their current grade or pay level, as long as they can provide useful and efficient service without endangering themselves, others or government property.
Disability retirement should be the very last option and should be used only when attempts have been made to preserve an individual's employment, and those attempts have failed.

Order our Disability Retirement guide to educate yourself on the rules and regulations concerning disability retirement for federal employees.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
frankfooter32  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 21, 2008 11:22:46 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I just received an e-mail from HR stating they need me to "quickly" return forms 3107, FedMER, W-4P, 1152, 3102, 2817. According to the union they normally dont have you fill out these forms until you have been approved or close to it.

It is my guess that since I have finally gotten word back from Senator Cantwell's and Congressman Reicherts offices, that they have contacted OPM about my complaint of making sure my FERS case is handled correctly given all my EEO cases.

Does anyone recall when they had to complete these follow up forms and if it was immediately after turning in the initial application, or after you were approved.

Love your elected officials Wink

Thanks!
edalder  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 22, 2008 12:32:41 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 191 time(s) in 166 post(s)
SF 3107 (or the 3102) is an application for immediate retirement (nondisability). Do you qualify for an immediate annuity under FERS either as an MRA plus 10 or MRA plus 20? If you do, you might want to file this form as a back up to your disability retirement on the basis that getting some money while the disability application is being reviewed is better than getting none at all.

SF 1152 is a designation of beneficiary form for unpaid compensation. If you keel over before this is all settled and your agency owes you any money, they will pay the person that you listed on this form. Not critical for your retirement, but there is no harm in completing it and it could expedite the separation process, if you disability retirement application is approved. Your agency probably has a checklist of the forms that separating employees need to complete and if this form is missing, it could hold up your separation. OPM won't pay you until your agency notifies OPM that you have been separated.

SF 3102 (or 3107) is a designation of beneficiary/survivor election form for FERS. If you are married, you definitely need to complete this form. If you are not, then it is less critical. If you are married and elect less than a full survivor annuity for your spouse, you likely will need to have your spouse's notarized signature on it.

SF 2817 relates to your FEGLI and what life insurance, if any, you wish to carry into retirement. Completing this form will expedite the determination of your net annuity. There is also a designation of beneficiary aspect that you should review as well.

FedMAR allows OPM to quickly obtain info about the status of your claim for SSA disability benefits. Definitely complete this form ASAP. This one can be a read deal breaker with OPM.

The WP-4 is a tax form similiar to the W-4 form that you complete to determine how many exemptions to claim for tax withholding purposes. If you don't do this one, OPM will initially deduct income taxes as if you are married with three exemptions. That may of may not reflect your actual tax liability. If it does not, you probably want to complete this form and get your tax deductions correct from the beginning.

Most of these forms are one or two pages at best, plus instructions. They are not difficult forms to complete, but there can be some requirements, such as the notarization one or some calculations that you need to make, such as with the WP-4, that could take a little time. I also would go over with your HR person, the various costs associated with any FEGLI elections that you might make. Many new retirees are unpleasantly surprised at how expensive FEGLI can be. Often, it is because they did not take the time to understand the costs associated with the FEGLI decisions that they made on this particular form.

Most of these forms, except FedMAR, can be download from OPM. Go to www.opm.gov/forms and click on the forms in question to get an idea of what actually involved with each form.
Kivi
frankfooter32  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 22, 2008 1:42:33 AM(UTC)

I have completed all the forms already, and trust me I opted out of ALL LIFE INSURANCE including FEGLI! What a rip off!

I just was wondering if because of my congressional inquiries because of my 8 EEO cases against my employer, that perhaps they are moving the process along quickly to get me out soon. Thats the feeling Im getting from the union. Not to mention on the supervisors section of the application they have stated that I have pretty much fallen from grace the past year and am barely scraping by, unable to perform effective service.

I think these are all good signs, no? Smile
postalwiz  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 22, 2008 4:40:57 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
The 3107 is not only to be completed for
immediate retirement but also for disability
retirement and probably someone is inquiring
and they are trying to rush forms thru. As you
appear to be a FERS employee you need to apply
for Social Security Disability Benefits whether
or not they allow you to receive it is immaterial, it is a requirement of FERS disability retirement.
frankfooter32  
#5 Posted : Friday, May 23, 2008 12:07:15 AM(UTC)

I already applied for Social Security and sent in my denial. I am patiently waiting now Frown
edalder  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 23, 2008 1:28:51 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 191 time(s) in 166 post(s)
I don't see why you got an email asking you to complete forms that you already have completed.

At your agency, seems like the left hand does not know what the right is doing.

You eventually may get a response from your elected representatives that you were asked to supply info, etc. and further action is awaiting receipt of that info or you may get a response that "punts" it to OPM.

I wouldn't attach too much significance to it.
Kivi
Rss Feed  Atom Feed