Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

General Conversations

Within this forum, you can:

• share experiences as a federal employee
  • ask for some general help from fellow federal employees
  • offer helpful advice
  • make this world a better place (doesn't hurt to try)

Please keep in mind that this is not an opportunity to "step up on a soap box." Let's keep things clean, polite and useful. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nattycakes  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2009 12:31:48 PM(UTC)
nattycakes

Groups: Registered

Hey everyone, I'm still fairly new (and very confused) by how federal hiring works, so I was wondering if anyone has any good advice.

I've been working for a federal agency for almost 2 years now in a temporary/term position and am currently a GS-9 step 2. I just received a tentative offer from another agency for a permanent GS-9/13 position. So, here are my initial questions:

1) Does leave transfer (sick and annual)? I vaguely remember something about one transferring or being paid out and not the other, but that might be if you move to the private sector.

2) I have been planning a 2-week trip in late July for a while, and have paid nonrefundable deposits (I wasn't expecting to hear back so soon). Is it unreasonable to ask for a start date after this trip? I just feel odd starting a new job and then saying "see ya in 2 weeks", or worse, losing $1500.

3) In my current position, I got a promotion to a GS-9 from GS-7 last August, and am due for another promotion to a GS-11 in August. The tentative offer is for a GS-9, since that's the position I am currently qualified for. Is there any way to negotiate a grade or step promotion? What's the best way of going about this?

Thanks for any advice!
Fonz  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2009 8:11:38 PM(UTC)
Fonz

Your accumulated leave should transfer.

Talk to your new boss as soon as the deal is signed. They are understanding about previously scheduled vacation. If you have leave on the books most agencies have a liberal leave policy unless it is a critical position with national Defense.
jaybones  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2009 12:25:54 AM(UTC)
jaybones

natty,

Be sure to bring along a copy of your latest Earnings and Leave Statement. This can not only be used to show your new manager that you have the leave on the books, but also can facilitate the transfer of the leave balances by your HR Office. When I transfered from one agency to the next, my new HR Office was willing to input my leave balances manually based on my copies of my Earning & Leave Statements for the past 2 years, which I happened to have in my personal Personnel Folder.
nattycakes  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2009 1:43:28 AM(UTC)
nattycakes

Great, thanks so much! I didn't even think about bringing my L&E statements (I've got them all in a folder).
blondie  
#5 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2009 2:40:01 AM(UTC)
blondie

The perm position will be of greater benefit to you down road, as far as benefits. You are not supposed to lose money in a transfer, but may even get a higher step. All leave should transfer and in most cases, they will accommodate your vacation. DO NOT, however, have a break in service but start up the new job as the old one ends, even if it means you are on the books just not working and on annual leave. Bring your latest SF-52, Notice of Personnel Action with you.
nattycakes  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2009 8:08:33 AM(UTC)
nattycakes

"The perm position will be of greater benefit to you down road, as far as benefits. You are not supposed to lose money in a transfer, but may even get a higher step. All leave should transfer and in most cases, they will accommodate your vacation. DO NOT, however, have a break in service but start up the new job as the old one ends, even if it means you are on the books just not working and on annual leave. Bring your latest SF-52, Notice of Personnel Action with you."

Thanks! I spoke with the HR rep today and am working on negotiating a higher step. The position they're offering is a GS-9 step 1, so I explained that it would mean a pay cut for a year (if I stay put, I'll be a GS-11 in August).

Out of curiosity, what happens if there's a break in service? I wasn't planning on it (I figured I'd just start right after leaving the first place), but it'd be good to know.
cjd  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 03, 2009 10:30:18 PM(UTC)
cjd

I believe if there is a break in service of more than three days, they have to cash out your annual leave. That would require you to start over on your leave accrual when you start your new job. I don't think there is discretion on this 3 day break in service rule.
Your sick leave cannot be cashed out, however. No matter how long your break in service is, that will transfer.
nattycakes  
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 04, 2009 12:09:10 AM(UTC)
nattycakes

^^ Ok, good to know, thanks!
computerscott2  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, October 13, 2009 2:10:59 AM(UTC)
computerscott2

I notice that this post is old, but here are some other tips to consider:
You will want to keep your last pay stub from that agency for several reasons.
#1. The afore mentioned leave balances. Sometimes it can take 6 months for your new agency to recieve the appropriate gaining documents and input your leave into the system. Having your last LES shows your supervisor that you do have leave available.
#2. If you are switching agencies your FERS retirement balance (not the TSP - there is a big difference) does not transfer to the new agency. What that means is that your new agency starts over at 0 for your FERS balance. You do not lose your FERS balance, it is just your new agency will not track it from the old agency. OPM will still track it, but you should keep a copy of your last LES from each agency you are at so that if their is a discrepancy when you retire you can prove how much you paid into the system. I currently have started over twice with new agaencies and have been at 3 different agencies. Each time the FERS counter started at 0.
#3 It can help you if you like to do your taxes early and you need proof of your earnings. I once moved from one state to another towards the end of the year, while swithching agencies, and I forgot to go into the old payroll system and change my address, so my W-2 had to go through the postal forwarding process and this slowed down my arrival of the W-2.
Also if you have a break in service it increases your SCD (service Computation date). This could mean that if 2 employees started on Jan 1 of 2000 and one of them had a break in service of 7 days, their SCD would be changed to Jan 8, 2000. If these 2 employees were caught ina Reduction in Force (RIF) the employee with the Jan 8 date would be fired first. Plus having a break in service can cause your life insurance, health insurance to lapse as you are technically not on the federal rolls anymore (unless they have fixed this since I last checked). So try to avoid a break in service at all costs.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed