Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Inside the News

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current federal employee related news topics. This forum is for U.S. federal government news topics only -- specifically, news that directly affects federal employees, their jobs, pay, benefits or other workplace issues.

Please refrain from posting topics on general current events, U.S. or world politics, etc. FederalSoup is a FREE forum site dedicated to serving the needs of federal employees, so keeping forum topics focused to those readers and members here is what makes this community valuable. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
FedFlyin'  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 04, 2006 10:56:40 PM(UTC)
FedFlyin'

Groups: Registered

The TSA barely funds within-grade increases for its employees (2% of the workforce last year). ALL other increases above the annual COLA (I'm talking all of them, performance pay, bonuses, etc.) are paid out in a lump sum and do not apply towards retirement or TSP savings. In essence, the vast majority of employees are not receiving any raises beyond the COLA that apply towards retirement, no matter how well they are performing. This saves the agency money in the long run. Slick accounting, to the employees' detriment.

I have 3 points: 1) Is this legal from an OPM standpoint? 2) Is anybody from OPM aware of/addressing this issue? 3) All of you converting to pay for performance systems, be ready for the same, unless it is only a TSA "funding" policy.

Thanks for any comments.
elgallo2  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 05, 2006 1:11:59 AM(UTC)
elgallo2

"""I have 3 points: 1) Is this legal from an OPM standpoint? 2) Is anybody from OPM aware of/addressing this issue? 3) All of you converting to pay for performance systems, be ready for the same, unless it is only a TSA "funding" policy."""

1. As far as Rummy is concerned OPM is just the vehicle for all of this and will do what they are told.

2. NO see 1 above.

3. Talking with those in the DOD who participated in the pilot programs say the same thing. So it won't be unique only to the TSA.

This whole thing has never really been about improving performance because to be honest I believe the DOD and the govt as a whole is just too far gone for that to happen.

It all been about capping your hi three going forward by the means you just mentioned. Being able to get rid of anyone they feel deserves it with little or no due process as was the case in the past.

This system will have a huge negative effect on some good folks who would otherwise stayed with government longer. I am one. I retire in 3 years.

I have no problem with the concept of pay for performance and have in fact been employed in the private sector where that was the case and did quite well.

My concern about what I read about this system lies with the knowledge I have of my local agency, and how the HRO "works around here".

I am extremely doubtful that all of us will receive a fair and objective evaluation of our contributions, which is all I am asking for.

This then set the stage for further full blown contracting out of the jobs we were doing.
bettyveronica  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 06, 2006 1:07:44 PM(UTC)
bettyveronica

I work for DoD and I will be "spiraling down" into the pay system in a few months. Were you aware of the fact that OPM, like Gallo says, had nothing to do with this new pay system? Rummy paid a DoD contractor millions and millions of dollars to develop it. At my DoD agency, I expect contracting out within 18 months - I'll be fine - but I worry too about unsuspecting and naive younger employees but have been through this downsizing before so am preparing myself by taking every computer class that is available and signing up for more college classes to take advantage of the tuition reimbursement. I received my last ingrade increase under the old pay system last month. So much for the good ol' days!
Hazstrike  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 15, 2006 1:08:08 AM(UTC)
Hazstrike

Having been stuck in this system for several years, I can attest to the fact that most will never see an increase in their base pay. I've been given thousands in bonuses, but my complaints about this not adding to my retirement always get the same answer: not this year, no budget money.
The fact that the unions always cheer about Congress taking back the money earmarked for our pay for performance raises only adds to our woes.
EWGuy  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 20, 2006 1:03:38 AM(UTC)
EWGuy

I retired last year under a "Demonstration Pay" system at a NAVSEA (U.S. Navy) laboratory that was implemented 7 1/2 years earlier. When I bought into the system I received my last pay raise. The buy-in placed me at the 90% point of ND-4 grade(GS-13, step 9). When I inquired, I was told I could not get that final 3% of the pay band. It was organization policy to not award that last 3% pay raise to workers, regardless of performance. I later discovered the final 3% was reserved for group leaders and management's favored workers who worked on branch staff.

I received a bonus awards every year, and the yearly COLA raise in January. Not being awarded any of that last 3% impacted my whole attitude about work. I determined I was going to do the minimal effort necessary, and just coast until retirement. The younger workers at the low and middle areas of the pay band did receive yearly pay raises based upon performance.

I retired the first chance I got, and never looked back at the organization and pay system that discriminates against the older workers who fall at the top end of a pay band.

My retirement annuity is 3.25% less today because of organization policy. Over a retirement lifetime this will be tens of thousands dollars. Under the reliable, and fair Civil Service system I would have been GS-13, step 10 the final three years before retirement

I understand the proposed NSPS will even put the yearly COLA funds under management's control to dispense to its favored workers. This would be a dreadful mistake if true. There should be congressional oversight on the pay scales of NSPS so that all pay is adjusted yearly for COLA and locality pay.
elgallo2  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 20, 2006 2:51:47 AM(UTC)
elgallo2

""""I retired the first chance I got, and never looked back at the organization and pay system that discriminates against the older workers who fall at the top end of a pay band."""

It's a fact Jack! It's not legal (check title 5 of the USC), but what do they care about that. It appears now a day that the government can break any laws it wants in the name of "NATIONAL SECURITY".

This is what it's been about all along. NSPS won't "improve anything" in fact the Government is so far gone that nothing will or could begin to "improve" it.

They have benn wee-weeing on our heads all along, and been telling us it's raining!!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed