Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Inside the News


Post your thoughts and opinions here about current federal employee related news topics. This forum is for U.S. federal government news topics only -- specifically, news that directly affects federal employees, their jobs, pay, benefits or other workplace issues.

Please refrain from posting topics on general current events, U.S. or world politics, etc. FederalSoup is a FREE forum site dedicated to serving the needs of federal employees, so keeping forum topics focused to those readers and members here is what makes this community valuable. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Frank  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2008 1:51:53 PM(UTC)

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/17/2008(UTC)
Posts: 2

I retired two years ago from government where I had a secret clearance. I had already applied to a federal government contractor to conduct National Security Background Investigations. I received a "Top Secret Adjudication" but was told clearances were only granted on an "as needed" basis. I currently hold credentials as a special investigator with the contractor but am considered a subcontractor.

I would like to register on a website that handles clearances, but they admonish that you MUST have a clearance. I have a letter from OPM who did the investigation that I am good as long as I am connected in some way to the contractor. Does the adjudication prohibit me by law to not register on this website since the word "clearance" is not used but rather "adjudication"?
edzoboston  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2008 6:07:21 PM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/16/2008(UTC)
Posts: 212

quote:
Originally posted by Frank:
I retired two years ago from government where I had a secret clearance. I had already applied to a federal government contractor to conduct National Security Background Investigations. I received a "Top Secret Adjudication" but was told clearances were only granted on an "as needed" basis. I currently hold credentials as a special investigator with the contractor but am considered a subcontractor.

I would like to register on a website that handles clearances, but they admonish that you MUST have a clearance. I have a letter from OPM who did the investigation that I am good as long as I am connected in some way to the contractor. Does the adjudication prohibit me by law to not register on this website since the word "clearance" is not used but rather "adjudication"?




Maybe I'm confused, but I am guessing that what you are talking about is an "interim clearance." As for registering on the website, if you have an active Secret you still have a clearance. Which website are you talking about? clearancejobs?
Frank  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2008 4:22:01 AM(UTC)

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/17/2008(UTC)
Posts: 2

Yes, that is the one. When I retired, my PRI was due (you know...the every five year update for my secret). But as I said OPM did a Top Secret but my contractor says I don't need a "clearance" until I have to go somewhere like a military base etc. I've since done National Security Backgrounds (SSCIs, BI, etc) but it has been in the civilian sector.

Thanks. What do you know about the website on clearances?
edzoboston  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2008 3:25:01 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/16/2008(UTC)
Posts: 212

Well all I know is that it's a clearing house of sorts for jobs requiring clearances. Most of it high-tech, some personnel security type positions. You do need an adjudicated clearance of some sorts. Your interim TS might qualify you. You should contact the people who run the site and maybe they can advise you. They might be able to tell you if you have any level of clearance since it doesn't sound like you know what your status is.
mrfrig105  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2008 1:52:10 AM(UTC)

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/18/2008(UTC)
Posts: 4

Frank: I worked in this business. Hopefully I can help clarify. Clearance is an old terminology. Approximately four years ago the DoD mandated the Joint Personnel Adjudication System (JPAS) for personnel security clearance information within the DoD (Military, Contractor and Government personnel).

In the JPAS “world” there is no clearance. JPAS is utilizes the terms “eligibility” and “access”. Eligibility is based upon an adjudicated investigation. In your case if OPM did an investigation that was favorably adjudicated, you now have an eligibility that is based upon the favorably adjudicated investigation.

Utilizing that eligibility, a contractor can grant you access. If your favorably adjudicated investigation was an SSBI (basis for TS) you can be granted access up to TS.

As for your question about seeking employment; if you had an SSBI done two years ago, you do have an active clearance eligibility. You are good to go!
Joanne Norvell  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 3:02:34 AM(UTC)
jonorvell

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/20/2009(UTC)
Posts: 1

Based on responses, "clearance not adjudicated" means a clearance status is 'not eligible', hence 'not active', correct?

To become "eligible" means (in my case) the investigation would need to be completed and an adjudication of "eligible" would need to be made, correct?

I'm applying for 'clearance' jobs and was under the impression that b/c I left my previous clearance job within 1 year, my clearance was most likely still active. Based on the info I was told today (the HR person looked me up in JPAS), my clearance was never active as it had not been adjudicated.

Am I understanding the process correctly?

Thanks...
Susan Schmitz  
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 04, 2010 5:15:18 AM(UTC)
smsks

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/28/2010(UTC)
Posts: 8

I worked as a background investigator for a company for two years and was working on cases up until I resigned from the company.  I waited about 3 months to apply for another job in another state because we were moving out of state and got everything good to go and was offered a job and they came back and told me I was denied to work on the OPM contract.  Does anyone know why this would be because I worked for a contractor for OPM before and now all of a sudden I am denied.  Any information will help or if anyone has had this happen and knows what to do that would be greatly appreciated.
 
Thank you.
CMEBARK  
#8 Posted : Friday, September 17, 2010 7:17:50 AM(UTC)

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/9/2001(UTC)
Posts: 23

 The government just loves to classify things. It has an aura about it. About half the time it is done for purely political purposes. I flew "top secret" bombing missions in Laos. The enemy certainly knew we were bombing there, but Johnson and Nixon did not want the American People to know it.
 There are still documents from WWII which have and probably never will be revealed because of the family name, viz. Joe Kennedy, was recalled as ambassador to Great Britain because of his Nazi leanings at the behest of Churchill.
 It's all smoke and mirrors.
dtmd  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 12:33:48 AM(UTC)

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/25/2010(UTC)
Posts: 20

I'm currently an Army Employee... I had a TS over 10 years ago, and a secret was granted 3 years ago, but has been inactive because it is not needed for my current position.  I have been offered a position that requires a TS.... Any ideas on estimating how long it will take to get A.) Interim TS in place and B.) Final TS after interim?
swimchick7  
#10 Posted : Friday, July 07, 2017 7:46:13 AM(UTC)
swimchick7

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/16/2016(UTC)
Posts: 7
United States
Location: Virginia

Originally Posted by: mrfrig105 Go to Quoted Post
Frank: I worked in this business. Hopefully I can help clarify. Clearance is an old terminology. Approximately four years ago the DoD mandated the Joint Personnel Adjudication System (JPAS) for personnel security clearance information within the DoD (Military, Contractor and Government personnel).In the JPAS “world” there is no clearance. JPAS is utilizes the terms “eligibility” and “access”. Eligibility is based upon an adjudicated investigation. In your case if OPM did an investigation that was favorably adjudicated, you now have an eligibility that is based upon the favorably adjudicated investigation.Utilizing that eligibility, a contractor can grant you access. If your favorably adjudicated investigation was an SSBI (basis for TS) you can be granted access up to TS. As for your question about seeking employment; if you had an SSBI done two years ago, you do have an active clearance eligibility. You are good to go!


I have a similar concern!
I received a job offer from the FBI last June, so over a year ago, and I accepted it! My clearance came through at the beginning of April, or I was adjudicated favorably and told that I have TS/SCI eligibility, but apparently it came through too late, all the training classes for the FY 2017 were full! I was then told that they would let me know if and when I was selected for the Basic Field Training Classes for the FY 2018, so starting this Fall! Therefore, since I wasn't sure if or when I would be going to training...I went ahead and applied for other jobs and received a contingent offer from this one company but I need a clearance for it, which I have eligibility for...I just need to be given the forms to sign! Anyway this other company, Sotera Defense, needs to confirm my clearance status, and take over the sponsorship, before they can give me a final offer and get me started! The FBI took forever to get back to them and then proceeded to say that they have no clearance information on file for me...umm which I find hard to believe as I have in writing, in an email, that I am "cleared for hire" and was favorably adjudicated, help!
FatHappyCat  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, July 12, 2017 8:14:03 PM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/9/2011(UTC)
Posts: 406

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 31 post(s)
You may be out of luck. FBI conducts their own investigation in house while 99.9% of the other agencies utilize OPM hence why they weren't able to find out about your past investigations.

As for the FBI saying that you had nothing, you're facing two problems. #1 - The FBI paid for the investigation and they are not under any obligation to share that work with anyone. #2 - your adjudicated clearance doesn't mean you have a clearance. The actual point of having a clearance is when you are sitting in a billeted position requiring it and you've signed your NDA. As neither has happened you don't have a clearance even though you are eligible for one.

Exit7A  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, November 15, 2017 3:35:29 PM(UTC)
Exit7A

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/27/2015(UTC)
Posts: 290
United States
Location: Area 51

Thanks: 5 times
Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 64 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FatHappyCat Go to Quoted Post
You may be out of luck. FBI conducts their own investigation in house while 99.9% of the other agencies utilize OPM hence why they weren't able to find out about your past investigations.

As for the FBI saying that you had nothing, you're facing two problems. #1 - The FBI paid for the investigation and they are not under any obligation to share that work with anyone. #2 - your adjudicated clearance doesn't mean you have a clearance. The actual point of having a clearance is when you are sitting in a billeted position requiring it and you've signed your NDA. As neither has happened you don't have a clearance even though you are eligible for one.



Not entirely true. There are other agencies that conduct their own investigation you your 99.9% statistic is incorrect. The issue that the person is experiencing is this:

The clearance was adjudicated favorably but if you do not sign onto a contract (ie activate) the clearance, no one can see it. I had a similar experience with a different agency that conducted their own investigation. I was told that if I didn't sign onto a contract within 6 months, my clearance would disappear.
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." - Arthur Ashe
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.


This page was generated in 1.329 seconds.