Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Military

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current military-related news topics.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CCCQUICK  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 16, 2008 1:18:06 AM(UTC)
CCCQUICK

Groups: Registered

I am in the process of completing my SF-813. I am retired Navy with 20 yrs active. Retirement Date 31 Jan 2008.

1. I understand the section if the 813 listing the campaigns by name but the dates------
Is it the dates I was there or the dates of the campaign?
2. What is a good link to find out the ships actual deployment dates? I have checked the Navy History website...My ship is not listed...I have also emailed the ship..
This is covering Operations Desert Shield and Storm. (I have the Kuwait Liberation Medals (2) and Southwest Asia Service Medals (3)...
3. Operation Enduring Freedom (I have the NATO Medal and GWOT Expeditionary and Service Medals)
What are the dates covered for Operation Enduring Freedom...9/11/01 to present?

[This message was edited by CCCQUICK on July 16, 2008 at 12:44 PM.]
Brothaman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 16, 2008 12:25:30 PM(UTC)
Brothaman

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
CCC,

It's the To and from dates that you were there
for each campaign. Your 214 will have some information as well.
sodak14  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 26, 2008 11:19:28 AM(UTC)
sodak14

Can the Korean Service Defense Medal be used to improve your SCD? I retired in 2005 and realize the GWOT is cannot be used to improve my SCD but I served in Korea in 94-95 I believe I am eligible, which will increase my SCD by 12 months. Thanks, in advance, for any help.
Brothaman  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 26, 2008 1:16:00 PM(UTC)
Brothaman

Nope, I was there from 86 to 87 on the DMZ....it didn't change a thing. Dates on your 214 is what counts.
HR Spec 5613  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 26, 2008 6:35:17 PM(UTC)
HR Spec 5613

Other Campaign and Service Medals Qualifying for Preference:

Korea Defense Service Medal, July 28, 1954 to (date to be determined)

Service Credit for Leave Rate Accrual and Retirement:

For leave accrual, retirees receive credit only for:

1. Actual service during a war declared by Congress (includes World War II covering the period December 7, 1941, to April 28, 1952) or while participating in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge is authorized; or

2. All active duty when retirement was based on a disability received as a direct result of armed conflict or caused by an instrumentality of war and incurred in the line of duty during a period of war as defined in 38 U.S.C. 101(11). "Period of war" includes World War II, the Korean conflict, Vietnam era, the Persian Gulf War, or the period beginning on the date of any future declaration of war by the Congress and ending on the date prescribed by Presidential proclamation or concurrent resolution of the Congress.

For retirement:

An employee must waive military retired pay to receive any credit for military service unless the retired pay is awarded based on a service-connected disability incurred in combat with an enemy of the United States or caused by an instrumentality of war and incurred in the line of duty during a period of war as defined by 38 U.S.C. 301, or awarded under 10 U.S.C. chapter 1223 (previously chapter 67).

In addition, the GWOT service medal doesn't count, but the GWOT expeditionary medal does.
bigjohn1  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 26, 2008 7:29:46 PM(UTC)
bigjohn1

quote:
Originally posted by Brothaman:
Nope, I was there from 86 to 87 on the DMZ....it didn't change a thing. Dates on your 214 is what counts.

Hold on, what you say is only half correct. The KDSM is a campaign medal and will indeed count for leave accrual. I understand what you are saying about the 214 being the authoritative document but we have to consider a few things.

First you were on-peninsula from 86-87 but this award never came out until around 2003 or 2004. If it is not on your 214, you should send in the cert paperwork and get a DD215 correction listing the award and inclusive dates (1986-1987 in your case). If it’s already on your 214 and you did not get leave accrual credit, this needs to be brought to the attention of your HRO.

I received this medal shortly after it came out for service in Korea totaling 18 months and it allowed me to begin getting 6 hours of annual leave several months quicker than if I never had the award.
sodak14  
#7 Posted : Sunday, December 28, 2008 7:47:56 AM(UTC)
sodak14

quote:
Originally posted by bigjohn1:
quote:
Originally posted by Brothaman:

Hold on, what you say is only half correct. The KDSM is a campaign medal and will indeed count for leave accrual. I understand what you are saying about the 214 being the authoritative document but we have to consider a few things.

First you were on-peninsula from 86-87 but this award never came out until around 2003 or 2004. If it is not on your 214, you should send in the cert paperwork and get a DD215 correction listing the award and inclusive dates (1986-1987 in your case). If it’s already on your 214 and you did not get leave accrual credit, this needs to be brought to the attention of your HRO.

I received this medal shortly after it came out for service in Korea totaling 18 months and it allowed me to begin getting 6 hours of annual leave several months quicker than if I never had the award.

bigjohn1, What you said tripped my brain! Originally I was awarded whatever medal they were giving out while serving in Korea in 94-95. I just checked my DD 214 and sure enough it was converted to the KDSM before I retired at the end of 2005. Thank you and everyone else who posted here! Big Grin
geohusky  
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 10, 2009 5:05:25 AM(UTC)
geohusky

How long does it take to get a reply from the services? My HR has submitted the form 3 times to one Navy address, once to one other, and then again once to another. HR is telling me they have no where to turn to even get an answer and no phone or email they can submit questions to. I'd like to think this could be determined before I get my annual evaluation.
mudpie  
#9 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2009 9:39:09 PM(UTC)
mudpie

If you retired from the military, your SCD will not be retroactive, but rather the date you started as a fed civilian. All leave computations are based on that date...so you will start with 4 hours per pay period. The new guy, no tenure. (Remember you are already collecting a retirement check)

The SF-813 is used to verify campaign time, which "could be" applied towards leave accrual. Emphasis "could be" It's an agency decision. Good luck.

If you did not retire with 20 years and just separated, you can buy into FERS with the Post-56 Military Retirement program and your SCD would be retroactive as well as leave computations; most likely 8 hours per pay period.

Did you know that leave accrual time (4,6,8 hours)is negotiable during the job offer phase?
geohusky  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2009 12:57:19 AM(UTC)
geohusky

Thanks. I did not know it was negotiable. That will be useful as I change positions. I do have several campaigns though that could be creditable.
jimkat  
#11 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2009 5:45:23 AM(UTC)
jimkat

Here's a link that will throw everyone off. If it's correct, those folks that are retired and are only getting 4 hours per pay period should get 6 hours if you have any time in the military that directly pertains to the job you now have as a civil servant. Here's the link:

http://www.opm.gov/oca/compmemo/2005/2005-07.asp

Click on the appropriate stuff and you will see on page three what I'm talking about. In fact here is an excerpt:
Previously, an employee who is a retired member of a uniformed service under 5 U.S.C. 3501 could be granted credit only for periods of active duty served during a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge was issued. The new regulations at 5 CFR 630.205(b) provide that an employee who is a retired member of a uniformed service may be granted credit for any period of active military service during which he or she performed duties directly related to the position to which he or she is being appointed.
tucker515  
#12 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2009 7:38:35 AM(UTC)
tucker515

It's a good link- but the key word is MAY. It is discretionary with the agency.
I am sorry, but I do not have the time to respond to private messages. I will not respond to them.
bllbllrd  
#13 Posted : Sunday, February 20, 2011 9:53:46 AM(UTC)
bllbllrd

Does anyone know whether the Army of Occupation Medal counts towards SCD? (Berlin 84-91). What about the NATO Medal? (Serbia/Bosnia 94-97). Thanks.
Ish Kabibble  
#14 Posted : Monday, February 21, 2011 12:06:01 AM(UTC)
Ish Kabibble

bllbllrd wrote:
Does anyone know whether the Army of Occupation Medal counts towards SCD? (Berlin 84-91). What about the NATO Medal? (Serbia/Bosnia 94-97). Thanks.

Go here for a listing of all eligible campaigns/medals:

bllbllrd  
#15 Posted : Monday, February 21, 2011 12:30:16 AM(UTC)
bllbllrd

Thanks! Exactly what I needed.
Tony D  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, February 22, 2011 12:12:18 AM(UTC)
Tony D

Submitted my SF-813 over a year ago... still no reply from HRC. Ouch  They picked-up my old WG time pretty quick, but military time?  :shrug:  Not yet!
"A new start with potential is better than stagnating in a culture of corruption."
RU_serious  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2011 11:02:28 AM(UTC)
RU_serious

What if the Korea Defense Service Medal is already on your DD-214?  Can't you just provide the DD-214 as the documentation to get credit for the 12-month tour in Korea?  That link (http://www.opm.gov/staffingportal/vgmedal2.asp) doesn't say anything about having to submit an SF-813, but it does say the DD-214 is required for verification.

My understanding is that the SF-813 is for "non-wartime campaigns or expeditions."  The KDSM does not fall under that definition.

Anyone?  Thanks.

RU_serious  
#18 Posted : Sunday, March 27, 2011 12:15:32 AM(UTC)
RU_serious

Tony D wrote:
Submitted my SF-813 over a year ago... still no reply from HRC. Ouch  They picked-up my old WG time pretty quick, but military time?  :shrug:  Not yet!

That's pretty crazy...  No one seems to know anything about my question
above so I went ahead and faxed my SF-813 to the Air Force Personnel
Center about a week and half ago.  The person who handled my request verified the information and actually mailed the completed SF-813 the same day he got it to the Army CPAC office that would process the credit for my campaign time.

I'm still waiting for that last part but this turn around time from the Air Force amazed me, especially since I was told when I in-processed with the Army that it could take up to a year.
brosenau  
#19 Posted : Friday, May 20, 2011 2:18:15 AM(UTC)
brosenau

I can really appreciate those of you who are researching your Service Comutation Date and the awards that affect it.  I too fit into this category; however, I am finding it very difficult to establish a list of difinitive medals (campaign, service, or otherwise) that affect the SCD. The instructions on for the SF-813 are a bit outdated and do not specifically reference anything new.  From appearances sake, the form itself appears to be designed for non-combat related activities...reference Block 7: Nonwartime Campaigns and Expeditions.  Just to be on the safe side, I'd place all medals and awards on the sheet...leave nothing to chance.

Bottom Line - Is there a published list of service medals and/or awards that affect the Service Computation Date??? 

Bueller?  Bueller?
TRW  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, November 23, 2011 2:52:32 AM(UTC)
TRW

Appendix A of the VetGuide on the OPM website lists the Campaign ribbons that are acceptable to establish your veterans preference.  In another part of the website it also says that verified service in any of these same campaigns can be used to adjust your SCD-LV date.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed