Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lulu74  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 27, 2009 2:35:08 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I resigned from civil service after 16yrs in 1996. I worked in the private sector a few years. I had to go on SS disability in 2003. I am now at a point where I want to return to work. My disability, has improved greatly and will not prevent me from performing my former duties or duties of another job. I have a "ticket" for the "ticket to work" program with SS. I have not contacted SS as of yet. I am reinstatement eligible with the Federal Govt. Does anyone know about the ticket to work program, if they can assist with possibly getting back into civil service, or, is trying to do it on my own going to get about the same results? Is being on disability going to be "the kiss of death" for me, as far as returning to work??? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Mickey12  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 27, 2009 9:06:51 AM(UTC)

Start with voc rehab, your local state agency. You may be eligible for many benefits, to jump start your work search, if not education, maybe some clothes to look for work, assistance with resume, whatever you might need. I worked with one person who requested internet service, printer cartridges, a new printer, postage re-imbursement...just a start on things you may want financial assistance with for your job search. Those can be included in your IPE (individualized plan for employment). Don't forget about any adaptive equipment you may need when you start working.

You may have a head start, because many jobs on OPM are for people with disabilities (status). Good luck on your job search.
lulu74  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 27, 2009 11:23:48 PM(UTC)

Thank you Mickey12 for your input, it's exactly what I'm looking for. I need assistance with just about all you mentioned, and more, I'm just not aware or sure of, what I can try and stipulate as my needs and wants in an IPE, it's not spelled out in the paperwork. This is all new to me, and I'm hesitant, as my disability is the only income I have. I want to work and would like to use my prior qualifications and work experience with the government to my advantage, if possible. I know reinstatement eligible does not entitle or guarantee me anything and job searching is my responsibility. I feel my 16 1/2 yrs should mean something, so that is where I want to begin.
Mickey12  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 28, 2009 12:11:14 PM(UTC)

You would write down the things that you want, and make sure you itemize it with the cost of each item prior to the IPE meeting. Then, the cost of the items would be put into the IPE and listed as "maintenance" which would mean cash for those items, or a purchase order, depending on the agency.

Depending on your state, you may be able to choose to work with a private contractor who would work with the ticket to work. Some states have this available, some do not.

Depending on your disability, you should ask for transportation costs, for all appointments, with voc rehab, and interviews. Document everything, ask for a day planner to document your expenses and work search contacts that you have made, and your appointment schedule. Keep reciepts for EVERYTHING.

Do you need to start with a work hardening program? Have a vocational evaluation prior to the IPE to determine adaptive equipment and if work hardening program is appropriate for you.

I could go on forever about this subject. Good luck on your job search.
lulu74  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 3, 2009 11:16:06 PM(UTC)

Mickey12, thank you for the info & suggestions. I've gotten a list together for an IPE. I realize this is not the first step, but I will need it. I won't need a work hardening program or any special equipment for employment. I will need some funding assistance to facilitate my job search. You provided some very good advice; any time you want to "go on" about this subject, please do, your input is very knowledgeable, needed and appreciated, so thank you. :-P
Rss Feed  Atom Feed