Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ronin7  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2009 5:41:15 AM(UTC)
ronin7

Groups: Registered

Hello,

I have recently been offered a high paying civilian job with the Air Force. The strange thing is that I applied for a job, was contacted and told I would be interviewed and then received an offer letter (email actually).

I called the person I talked to the first time and he said I had a "cert" that they needed and they did not need to interview me. I'm not sure whether I should be flattered or scared!

Of course since I did not have an interview I did not get to see the work environment etc. I also currently have a job that I enjoy but does not have the salary or benefits of the AF job. I would like to take the job but the circumstances seem a little strange.

Anyone have any advice?
Katydid_MD  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2009 6:20:22 AM(UTC)
Katydid_MD

If it is at all economically feasible for you to go to the new job site to meet with them, I'd try to arrange it. I once got a job based on a remote phone interview, and it was a nightmare -- all the locals knew it was a bad situation, so no qualified locals had applied.

It turned out well for me, because they paid my moving expenses from a forsaken corner of the country back to civilization, and I got into the government, too. I was there for about 6 months before landing a much better job, and was told in my exit interview that I had lasted longer than any of the previous 7 hires they'd had in the job during the preceding 2 years. (That was a lot of interesting info for me to digest, and all in one casual sentence.)

Ever since, I've taken the view that a job interview works both ways -- you are interviewing them while they interview you. I've turned down a job offer because the prospective boss didn't meet my standards.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide.
ronin7  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2009 6:34:29 AM(UTC)
ronin7

Thanks for the information;

Fortunately it is not a remote interview- I live in the same city as the job- but like you said an interview goes both ways and I am unsure of not having the chance to interview the person offering the job as well.

Just seems a very odd way to conduct business. But I have read that if one person is interviewed all of the prospectives must be and they said they needed to fill the positions before a deadline.
IRSATLInfoSec  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2009 6:47:24 AM(UTC)
IRSATLInfoSec

Ronin,

I'm in exactly the same situation - hired without an interview for an InfoSec position, under Direct Hire Authority, tight deadline, etc. What agency are you talking about?
ronin7  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2009 6:51:08 AM(UTC)
ronin7

I'm a little hesitant to post specifics about the agency- Not sure how it might come back to me. But position is for a YD-02 level.

Not trying to be cagey just don't want to shoot myself in the foot.
Mickey12  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2009 7:02:32 AM(UTC)
Mickey12

Being hired without an interview is common, if you have the skill set that they want, especially if they are impressed with your qualifications. Or if no one else applied, or if they are on a time crunch to fill the job.

Call the supervisor, arrange a meeting, go see the place, then decide if you want the job. When you are hired without an interview, I think that you have more room to ask for a higher step/grade because you already know they want you.
Brothaman  
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2009 11:25:50 AM(UTC)
Brothaman

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
When ever I apply for a job, I go to the extreme about the area. I get on the net, ask co-workers, reach out to friends who may know something about the area/job.

With regards to the interview, be careful, you don't wanna show arrogance but you don't be a punk either.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed