Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

NSPS - National Security Personnel System

NSPS is the Department of Defense's (DoD) flexible and responsive civilian management system that: (1) values performance and contribution, (2) encourages communication, (3) supports broader skill development, and (4) promotes excellence in the workplace

NSPS modernizes a 50-year-old civil service system, allowing DoD to better attract, recruit, retain, compensate, reward and manage employees. The system focuses on people, performance, and employment decisions that are cost-effective and best for business practice.

(source: Defense Civilian Personnel Advisory Service)

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
OIGguy  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 04, 2009 2:51:57 PM(UTC)
OIGguy

Groups: Registered

Question:

Me: YA-2 (Virtual GS-10 based on adjusted salary)

Goal: Compete for GS-13 position.

Facts:
- Current YA-2 position and the position I want (the GS-13 in another agency) are identical (exact same position description).

Would the gaining pay system (the GS) prohibit me jumping from a "virtual" GS-10 pay to a GS-13 pay???
HR Spec 5613  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 04, 2009 4:24:16 PM(UTC)
HR Spec 5613

If the gaining agency equates your experience as equal to the next lower level GS-12 or higher, you should be considered qualified. Your virtual grade is not to be used for qualification purposes; it is only used to allow GS pay setting rules to be applied if selected.

As an example, I know a YA-2 whose virtual GS grade would equate to GS-9 based on salary, although his position is the equivalent of a GS-12. He is currently on more than one referral list for GS-12 and GS-13 positions.
OIGguy  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 06, 2009 12:26:07 PM(UTC)
OIGguy

HR Spec, thanks for your answer. It's very much appreciated.

My only other question is what would happen to a YA-2 (me) with a "virtual" GS-10 if we get rid of NSPS and I'm doing the exact same job as another YA-2 who is a virtual GS-13? How could they reconcile the disparity in pay between persons doing the same job?
HR Spec 5613  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 06, 2009 12:53:35 PM(UTC)
HR Spec 5613

That's the question we all want answered. I have not heard of any provision for officially converting a position from NSPS back to GS. There are going to be a lot of problems if they base the whole thing solely on salary.

The GS system is based on official position descriptions, which state the duties, knowledges, scope, etc. are involved in order to determine the grade. It seems to me that any rules established must follow GS rules, so I think they should officially classify the NSPS position according to GS grading rules, then see how the salary is affected. Provisions should be in place for those individuals whose salary falls outside the rate range for the GS position, such as pay retention or automatic placement at step one.
jddoc8  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 13, 2009 11:27:30 PM(UTC)
jddoc8

What are all the GS equivalents to the NSPS government YA and YC pay system.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed