Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
whippa  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 21, 2006 12:16:59 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I don't know if this is a new tactic for the USPS but they are now trying to make people go for a second medical opinion for recertification. The FMLA law states " An employer cannot ask for a second or third opinion on a recertification". They CAN ask for one only on a new certification.
cait43  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 21, 2006 5:24:50 AM(UTC)

Case Law Update – USPS Cannot Rely on its Own FMLA Return-to-work Regulations, Seventh Circuit Rules

The USPS, as an employer, could not rely on its own return-to-work regulations, as incorporated into a valid collective bargaining agreement, to impose requirements on federal employees that were more burdensome than what was required by the return-to-work provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), the Seventh Circuit ruled recently...........

To view court case go to:
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data2/circs/7th/034204p.pdf

Entire regulations concerning FMLA
29 CFR Part 825--the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993
http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_05/29cfr825_05.html
Mark the Mailman  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 1, 2006 12:06:26 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
So, my only question is why does the PO continually try to impose its own rules, or regulations regarding FMLA guidlines to suit its own agenda? Even after court rulings, arbitrations, investigations, and medical professionals have balked at, or questioned how the Postal Service came up with their own set of rules or guidelines.
Apparently, in my opinion the PO thinks all of its craft employees are only employed to bilk the service out of millions...The reality is, that even though a small minority of employees are looking for that "free ride" there are still hundreds of thousands of employees in the majority who just want this program to be administered under the federal guidelines as it was established.
It's a sad state of affairs when an employee has to spend extra money, resources, and time, just to prove the point that the existing laws on this subject directly conflict with how the PO is administering it!
Who will help US...I would like to learn of names, addresses, websites, or even a real live person to talk to about this issue.
brac srvivr  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 1, 2006 9:47:55 PM(UTC)

Most managers try to do a good job at accomplishing the mission. The Post Office is no exception. As a ratepayer, I can be reasonably assured that if I send a letter to my friend in Washington from Florida, it will get there. If I have written a return address upon it and they can't deliver it, I'll get it back. The two "bad" experiences I have had in 40 years were both my fault. The USPS does a great job at a difficult task.
Having said that, the reason managers go off on a tangent sometimes is that the job is just plain difficult. The management has been tasked with coaxing the maximum effort for he minimum cost from each employee with literally thousands of laws, rulings, and regulations and each employee has a unique personality. Making it all work is like trying to juggle a sword, a running chain saw, two grenades, and your great great grandmother's favorite tea cup.
The problem is that when a manager abuses his position by providing his own definition of policy, there is no personal retribution. Even if it goes to court, the manager is not personally held liable. The system takes much corrective action toward its employees but I have never seen a manager disciplined publicly for abuse.
I worked at a different kind of industrial facility where we used to have read to us weekly "The Beach Bulletin". (The word "Beach" being defined as putting a person on leave without pay as a disciplinary tool.)When a second level manager was found guilty of sexual harassment my literally fondling an employee's anatomy, she was transferred to a promotion and we never heard anything else about him. A fifth level manager was caught in a terribly compromising position in his office with his secretary and again, she was promoted and he went back to his desk with nary a public word.
A fourth level manager fired a temp employee to make a point. 18 months later after a court fight, the employee was reinstated with back pay and benefits, a promotion and a transfer to a better job. No action was taken against the manager.
Another fourth level manager tried to fire an employee for drinking on the job because a liquor bottle showed up at the worksite. The fingerprints of the party who moved it showed up and the employee was fired. He was reinstated but took a large cash settlement instead. No retribution.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed