Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
brojcol  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 30, 2007 11:07:06 AM(UTC)
brojcol

Groups: Registered

How difficult is the Postal Exam and can someone give me an example of some of the questions on it? I have a brother who is very interested in becoming a rural carrier. He does not have a high school diploma.
postalwiz  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 30, 2007 11:28:21 PM(UTC)
postalwiz

Well some people consider the Postal Exam
very difficult and usually feel the memory part
of the exam is the worse. The Rural Carrier exam
also has a math portion attached to it and they
have added certain things to the exam to determine if you are good working with people. Why does your relative want to take the Rural Carrier Exam? if he is called from the register
he will be called to be a sub (no hours guaranteed) no benefits most places carriers have to supply their own car even thou they get an allowance for it and it may take years to become a regular rural carrier with career status
and benefits depending on the office where they are hired. May want to see if they are taking
applications for the other exams and take them.
A sample copy of the exam will be provided to the applicant if they apply for the exam at the
time they are told the exam has been scheduled.
You may also be able to get a copy of it by having your relative call the Personnel Office that covers the District and you can always call
the Diversity Office which cover that District
or you can call Hdqrs. and ask for the Diversity
Office at 202-268-2000
brojcol  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2007 5:38:46 AM(UTC)
brojcol

Thanks postalwiz. Your name suits you.

My brother wa***** by a drunk driver 5 years ago and has had multiple surgeries on his back. As I stated, he is a high school dropout and has only done construction and other jobs that require heavy lifting, etc. which he cannot do anymore. He has talked about driving a truck. However, he likes my "cushy" government job and likes the benefits and pay as well.

Plus a good friend is a rural carrier and has recommended this as a job that my brother could easily do.
postalwiz  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2007 7:27:22 AM(UTC)
postalwiz

Very bad advise. If your brother has a back
problem the last thing he wants to be is a rural
carrier or a carrier of any kind; carriers whether rural or city have to stretch their arms
to open mail boxes; they have to lift up to 70 pounds and in the rural office where I was working the amount of parcels every day were
incredible. He is still going to have to
pass a series of medical questonnaires, he will
have to be seen by the Medical Unit and if he had
an accident 5 years ago they are probably going to ask him to get medical information from the Dr. that treated him. While the general public
seems to think they we are all in cushy government jobs coming from one that worked her
way up from the craft there is no such thing as
a cushy job in the Postal Service unless you decide not to carry your load of the work assigned to the unit but most of the employees that I met over my 30 years of Postal Service are hard dedicated employees and unless you work for the Postal Service you have the foggiest idea as to what we all do, Management or Craft!
All craft positions in the Postal Service are
going to require that you lift at least 50 pounds. Good luck to your relative.
mackim56  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2007 12:04:23 AM(UTC)
mackim56

I was a letter carrier for 23 years and I used to hear it all the time { Man I wish I had a easy job like you.-LOL} Well a few got the chance as a letter carrier and to a person they all commented -- they had NO IDEAL how physical the job was.
Mac
Rss Feed  Atom Feed