Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jacquelon  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2007 3:10:24 PM(UTC)
Jacquelon

Groups: Registered

Could you guys fill me in on RCA's benefits?I want to know what kind of benefits(I know the full time benefits are different than part time) do RCA'RCA'ss get,and when(I haven't been to orientation yet)they start? I do know from a reliable source that we can earn a little leave time, but aren't sure how the calculation of time works and what else is entitle to RCA's.
cathycnyrs  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2007 12:22:24 PM(UTC)
cathycnyrs

RCA's basically don't get benefits. If the regular sub is out and you work at least 5 days a week on the same route, you will start earning vacation and sick leave AFTER 12 weeks on the same route. After the full 12 weeks you get 3 days of each and start receiving 1/2 a day of each per pay period. I was eligible to receive this last Feb. and didn't get it til July. If the regular comes back before you get it... it freezes up until you get back in the same situation of opening up the vac & s/l again. If that doesn't happen before you become regular you get paid for the annual when you go regular and the sick leave carries over. You can get health insurance by paying both the postal part and your part. I looked into it and it was over 400.00 a pay period. You don't get holidays. I always had to forfeit an off day to get a full weeks pay, if available.
NEVERTHOUGHTIDBEAMAILMAN  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 31, 2007 2:04:05 PM(UTC)
NEVERTHOUGHTIDBEAMAILMAN

INSURANCE IS AVAILABLE THROUGH THE UNION. THE SUB ON MY LAST ROUTE TOOK ADVANTAGE OF THE DISCOUNT. YOU CAN FIND OUT A LOT OF INFORMATION AT www.nrlca.org. IF YOU ARE NOT A UNION MEMBER, PLEASE ASK ONE OF THE REGULARS IN YOUR OFFICE. DUES ARE CHEAPER FOR RCAs.
cathycnyrs  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 01, 2008 12:10:18 AM(UTC)
cathycnyrs

The insurance through the union is 160 a month I think. You have to pay out of pocket not payroll deduction. I checked this a couple of years ago, and you get a discount on doctors visits, like 50.00 copay and you only get 5 doctors visits a year and I want to say it has a 5,000 limit a year. I found it was a discount plan at best and my doctor only charges 58.00 a visit, so it did not make sense.
Jacquelon  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 03, 2008 2:58:31 PM(UTC)
Jacquelon

I'm not working at this time at all, I've just got hired at the PO for a RCA. My question is, do you all think that being a RCA is worth going for. I really need and want to work.
NEVERTHOUGHTIDBEAMAILMAN  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 03, 2008 7:14:41 PM(UTC)
NEVERTHOUGHTIDBEAMAILMAN

BEING AN RCA IS THE WORST PLACE TO START WITH THE POST OFFICE IF YOU WANT A LOT OF WORK, BUT IF YOU STICK IT OUT YOU WILL END UP WITH THE BEST JOB IN THE POSTAL SERVICE. I WOULDN'T WANT TO BE ANYTHING BUT A RURAL CARRIER. IT TOOK ME OVER 5 YEARS TO MAKE REGULAR AND THAT AVERAGE HAS RISEN IN MOST OFFICES. IF YOU ARE IN AN OFFICE WITH A LOT OF ROUTES AND YOU ARE WILLING TO LEARN, YOU CAN GET PLENTY OF WORK, BUT BE READY TO TAKE ON SOME PART-TIME JOBS. I RECOMMEND THE SACRIFICE, BUT YOU NEED TO TRY IT FOR YOURSELF.
cathycnyrs  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 04, 2008 9:15:18 AM(UTC)
cathycnyrs

It took me 4 1/2 years to make regular in a very large growing city. My first 9 months I worked one or two days a week. I started in May and when Christma***** I went five and six days a week all the way to going regular. A year ago we were so short of subs I worked six days a week, sometimes 12 hour days for about 8 months straight. Most days running a route and a half. Great paychecks but I was worn out. I'm a single mother and two years ago I bought a house on my own. I made over 40,000 the last three years. The first six months I never thought I'd make it and went home in tears quite a few times. The stress of the job, plus a supervisor that was on my case constantly. I'm thankful that I didn't quit that first year. I'm planning on retiring with the post office. I don't think I would have ever made the kind of money I make at another job without a college degree.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed