Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
vetrookie  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 07, 2008 9:28:52 AM(UTC)
vetrookie

Groups: Registered

I just checked the status of my online app for the Sales, Service/Distribution Associate in the Arkansas district. The status had been 'Pre-Screening.' When I checked it this afternoon, it now says 'Hiring List'.

I think this is good...don't know if it means that they intend to make an offer, or if I'm simply on the candidate slate, guess I'll learn soon.

No one has interviewed me yet, but I did score well on my 473, and I have the 10-point 30 percent vet preference.

I was scheduled to take my other 473 for the Northeast Texas district on 7/18; today, I got a call asking me to take it THIS FRIDAY. If I understood correctly, they're trying to fast-track the hiring process here to beat an August 1 deadline when something is going to change.

AT any rate, I'm excited and hopeful of an offer soon. I hope I'm not getting to excited for nothing, though. My doctor is undoubtedly going to want a couple of minor restrictions on heavy lifting, standing, the question is if they'll accomodate me.

If the Arkansas position is offered, I won't turn it down, but it is about 25 miles each way; so, I'd love to stay right here in town, but 'Que Sera, Sera'.
gonepostalnc  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 07, 2008 9:47:59 AM(UTC)
gonepostalnc

Congratulations! :-)
mnmnm  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2008 10:14:19 AM(UTC)
mnmnm

Hi Vetrookie. I checked my status today on a sal/dis associate job in Baltimore and it said hiring list. Did you get a job offer soon after?

mnm Smile
vetrookie  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2008 10:42:43 AM(UTC)
vetrookie

Hi mnm,

Shortly after my status went to 'Hiring List', I got an email 'Invitation to Interview' or something along those lines.

As soon as I got home after the interview, I got another email requesting some personal info for a background check, done by a security outfit called GIS.

I was top on the slate, and two or three days later I was offered the job, but I turned it down, because:
1. it was PTF
2. it was two hours a day, from 6 a.m. to 8 a.m., Monday thru Saturday, with only a rare need for any more hours
3. There is virtually no chance of it ever being more hours, and zero chance of it turning into a 'regular' position. (It was in a tiny Arkansas town, they have 600 PO Boxes in the office, a few RCAs to cover three rural routes, and one full-time Postmaster.)

Since you're on the Hiring List, I think you have a fair shot at it. Best of Luck, let us know what happens.

[This message was edited by vetrookie on August 25, 2008 at 09:58 PM.]
NECArrier  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2008 11:13:06 AM(UTC)
NECArrier

well, you have to make whatever decision is best for you, but if you wanted to get hired, I might have taken that job. You could have also worked a second job that started later in the day. Once you have one year in with the post office, you can transfer to another district.
PTF is the entry level CAREER postion. Everyone who is working now as a full time craft employee started as a PTF.
Hope your other opportunity works out better for you!
vetrookie  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2008 1:24:22 PM(UTC)
vetrookie

NECarrier,
I will consider taking a PTF job, but not a dead-end one that requires a 44 mile round trip commute for 2 hours of work x 6 days a week.
I would take a job here in Texarkana that will offer more hours, and will become regular at some point.
However, I'm thinking I'll hold out for a maintenance job, the HR folks tell me that it will be regular from the get-go. I made really good scores on the 933/934 exams, so I'll be on or near the top of the register in 15 maintenance classifications, besides also probably being top of the list for my 473 scores.
wannabee  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2008 1:59:17 AM(UTC)
wannabee

If the post office offered you a job, you need ot take it. Right now, they are excessing people for miles around. Any open job will be taken by someone already employed. That will include maintenance jobs which are the cream jobs. Postal employees transfering craft normally take the maintenance openings.

Do what you think best, but experience will tell that a bird in the hand is like two in the bush.
mom2cole  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2008 10:10:59 AM(UTC)
mom2cole

I would have taken the job too, I know I work at a small rural office, only 6 routes and a couple of the clerks are only scheduled a few hours but seem to always be there when I arrive and when I leave to go home. I got hired as an RCA was given the "you are only working every other saturday" speech but that has yet to happen. I work every saturday and then some. Who knows might change since the summer is over, might not.
NECArrier  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2008 11:04:41 AM(UTC)
NECArrier

Vetrookie- make sure you don't turn down too many jobs. It used ot be you could turn down two job offers, but the third refusal would remove you from the list!
There are many folks going to be excessed, so getting an offer is a pretty big deal.
Good luck!
vetrookie  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2008 11:07:48 AM(UTC)
vetrookie

I have a pretty reliable source in HR who advised me that when all the smoke settles on this VERA and FSS stuff, there will soon be opportunities here.
Also, my source explained that if I don't want PTF, it will only be a matter of time before I'm contacted for a maintenance technician position, which means full time. I don't get the impression that there will be tons of clerks, mail handlers, and other excessed folks clamoring for (or qualified for) skilled maintenance positions in my town or elsewhere, though I do hope that nobody is forced from their ob anywhere or anytime.
And, if I take a PTF in this area, it won't be for two hours a day, the PTF folks seem to get all the work they want here.
If I was in need, I would have taken the permanent part time job. I'm actually in a pretty good position right now, guess you could say I'm in 'the catbird seat'.
I do feel like it was a great job for someone who wanted and maybe needed it more than I do. It makes me feel good to know that I was offered it, but also that someone else will benefit from my decision to turn it down.
Twelve hours spread over 6 days, minus time and expenses of the commute, for at least a year, is not the job I want.
I do believe every one of you is offering sincerely good advice, and I do appreciate it. I won't be making a habit of turning down good jobs, I promise!

[This message was edited by vetrookie on August 26, 2008 at 10:44 PM.]
wannabee  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 1:50:21 AM(UTC)
wannabee

HR is a dept that will be excessed int the future. They have already done that around here.
erickamae  
#12 Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:07:39 AM(UTC)
erickamae

how long did you apply for a job online did they put you on the hiring list and did you have to take the 473 c exam online or did you use your old score
vetrookie  
#13 Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2008 7:05:15 AM(UTC)
vetrookie

The job was posted in late May, with a closing date of 6/11. On 6/12, I received an invitation to take the 473 exam. I actually took the 'Part D' (personality evaluation) online from home.

For the balance of the 473, I then got email telling me to go to another site to schedule it, giving me a choice of times/dates thru 6/25.
I picked one, got instructions to go to a 'proctored' exam at a local college.

I took it, then by time I got home, I had an email link to check my score.

A couple days after the exam time limit of 6/25 had passed, I got a couple of emails from Little Rock with requests for more personal info.

On July 7, my status changed to 'Hiring List'. A few days later, I got the 'Invitation to Interview' email

JUst a hunch, but I think if I had accepted the job, I'd have been put on hold for this 'hiring pause'. No biggie, when it ends, I will get offers.

Good luck!
tammijl1986  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, November 05, 2013 7:47:02 AM(UTC)
tammijl1986

i wanted to know i went through most of the process exam drug test two invites after the last one i got a condtional job offer but had no dates it stated i was schedule for a medical assessment but no dates inserted then i looked on the website to see the extended job offer i was happy but then days later i was put back on the hiring list then today i look and see i was put on the hiring list in my area for a position in which i wanted what does all this mean im so very confused when will i ever be hired in im really needing this job since my land lord has let the home im renting go in to foreclosure and i will have to move out as soon as march    im just a mess
bearclaw99  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, November 05, 2013 8:24:52 AM(UTC)
bearclaw99

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Yes PTFs are never short of hours. As one carrier at my office told me it stands for Person To F***
Rss Feed  Atom Feed