Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
newbiejeepers  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 18, 2008 6:39:40 AM(UTC)
newbiejeepers

Groups: Registered

What do you think has a better change going regular first a rca or a city carrier (transitional employee)? I want to get to be a regual but wonder which one advances or what usually has openings faster? Thank you!
DoItTheRightWay  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 18, 2008 6:52:49 AM(UTC)
DoItTheRightWay

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Eventually you'll make regular as an rca, never as a te.
5.FederalSoup.com assumes no liability for the accuracy or reliability of any information posted on this Web site. The information is not checked, verified, or edited, and is used at your own risk.
hot_burrito_1  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 18, 2008 11:58:41 AM(UTC)
hot_burrito_1

Most growth and new territory is awarded to rural delivery. You will eventually go regular as an RCA. I went regular in January as the result of growth. I changed routes one month ago after two routes were vacant due to very rare transfers. I took the route nobody wanted because I wanted to be out in the country again. I felt like a caged animal in town. And yes, RCA's in most parts of the U.S. have to use their own vehicles just like regular rural carriers in most parts of the U.S. have to use their own vehicles.
DoItTheRightWay  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 18, 2008 7:02:07 PM(UTC)
DoItTheRightWay

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
hot_burrito_1 wrote: "Most growth and new territory is awarded to rural delivery. You will eventually go regular as an RCA."
That answers the question. The rest is alot of I's and nothing pertaining to the subject. It's gotten to where I cringe whenever I see another post by hot_burrito_1...
5.FederalSoup.com assumes no liability for the accuracy or reliability of any information posted on this Web site. The information is not checked, verified, or edited, and is used at your own risk.
hot_burrito_1  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 19, 2008 11:46:57 AM(UTC)
hot_burrito_1

There is a freeze on city carriers going regular from my understanding. There is even a hiring freeze on city carriers from what I have read on this forum. Rural carriers are not subject to hiring freezes at this time or layoffs.

TE's (transitional employees) are non-career employees who have not been hired off of a register by a test score. Part-time flexible (PTF) city carriers are career employees. City carriers are required to wear uniforms and may even be required to walk several miles a day door to door. They are given a uniform allowance. TE's can't go regular, but PTF's can become full time regular employees.

Regular rural carriers are full-time career employees. RCA's are part time non-career employees and serve as a leave replacement carrier while the regular is off. Some RCA's serve as regular carriers on regular routes and aux routes. Most of the rural carriers in my office have government vehicles assigned to their routes because the routes are in a high density city type of setting. There are 15 routes without government vehicles assigned to them in my office. We have 5 non-L (less than 12 deliveries per mile) routes. All of those carriers use their own vehicles.

Most RCA's work only 1 or 2 days a week. Depending on the amount of growth (number of routes added) and the retirement rate determines how fast RCA's go regular. In some offices RCA's work 60 hours a week. In other offices, they may get 1 day a week or 1 day a pay period.

The upside for being a city carrier is not having to use your own vehicle. Downside is being paid by the hour. The upside for rural carriers is being on an evaluated system in which the carrier is given an incentive to finish early and is on a salary. The downside is having to use your own vehicle because unless you have a new vehicle, repairs can become quite costly.
rjackson000  
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 20, 2008 10:10:25 AM(UTC)
rjackson000

To be honest with you, if you are not a regular now there is a good chance you are not going regular anytime soon as far as being a Rural Carrier goes.

A MOU was signed in July that pretty much says that if a route comes open, regulars will have the right to bid but residual route will be left open for FSS implementation.

I know a lot of places are not scheduled for FSS for sometime, if at all, so this may not include everyone.

As far as using your own vehicle, most routes if under 40 miles, are getting LLVs. If they do not have them now they will eventually. At my office we have 52 full routes and 6 aux and all but 3 full route have gotten LLVs. That includes auxies. The 3 left will not get one, as they are over 50 miles.
hot_burrito_1  
#7 Posted : Friday, November 21, 2008 10:35:34 AM(UTC)
hot_burrito_1

People are still going regular in Texas. We are not even scheduled (at this point) to get FSS until after 2012. Some routes won't get it at all.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed