Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ixupdated  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 23, 2008 3:36:53 AM(UTC)
Ixupdated

Groups: Registered

I want one of those cushy federal jobs that pays well, has great benefits, has high job security, and most importantly can be done with minimal work ethic (be a slacker, go slow, not much physical effort required, low stress).

Does the mail carrier position match the description above?
NECArrier  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 23, 2008 3:39:49 AM(UTC)
NECArrier

LOL
necolia lee  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 23, 2008 5:30:48 AM(UTC)
necolia lee

I second that!!!!LOL
hot_burrito_1  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 23, 2008 7:45:15 AM(UTC)
hot_burrito_1

That's funny! There is a lot of physical effort required. I lost weight when I went to work at the post office (160 down to 140).

You can't be a slacker. The two most important things are accuracy and safety. Safety is my biggest priority.

You can't work slow either. As for low stress, the post office is not for you. You have to meet or beat certain time standards on a daily basis.

Those with minimal work ethic also don't belong at the post office. You will never get away with only doing a halfway job on something at the post office.

My advice is to go to college, get a degree, and get a job using your degree. The point is, you definitely have to work in the post office or in any job you take. We're just going to give you fair warning about it on this forum.
mom2cole  
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 23, 2008 11:31:03 AM(UTC)
mom2cole

Sounds like you need to be a polititian or a ceo they don't do much for the big paychecks they get.
ladmo2  
#6 Posted : Sunday, November 23, 2008 11:48:57 AM(UTC)
ladmo2

Postal jobs were all career jobs, now not the case. But back then, most jobs were career jobs. Over the last 25 years, more and more folks jump from job to job. I do believe the USPS would be nuts to hire PTFs with all the future costs to the company.

The downside to this has been through the years a visible decline in the quality of hirees. BACK IN THE DAY (ha funny to be getting old enough to say this) you got probationary employees willing to do whatever it took to secure a federal job. And they became the backbone of the Postal Service.

Now we don't attract the same caliber of employee because we are not offering a lifetime job. It used to be rare for a probationary employee to fail the probationary period. Now we have TEs, casuals and RCAs that don't make it three days of delivering live mail before realizing that it is a very tough physical and mental job, made tougher with all the electronic survellance (scanning, etc) that now goes with the job.
staciejor  
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 23, 2008 6:57:45 PM(UTC)
staciejor

A mail carrier job sounds like the perfect job for you. Why don't you give it a try!
te2b  
#8 Posted : Monday, November 24, 2008 3:16:56 AM(UTC)
te2b

I think someone is trying to get us all riled up. It was pretty funny though! Wink
<strong><em><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><font size="2"><font color=GREEN>"Life's River Shall Rise, And Only The Strong Shall Survive"</strong></em></font></font></font>
jersey  
#9 Posted : Monday, November 24, 2008 5:01:25 AM(UTC)
jersey

then you want to be a 204b
robb79ie  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, November 26, 2008 3:17:06 AM(UTC)
robb79ie

If anyone asks, just tell em all postal employees do is sit around, eat doughnuts, drink coffee, and smoke cigarettes. That's what the public thinks anyway, so why disabuse them of the notion?? Oh, I forgot, and play cards.
maxketter  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, November 26, 2008 8:46:22 AM(UTC)
maxketter

the 1 I see most often is taking a handful of mail and putting it in random mailboxes just to see if the customers can tell the difference. That way they can get back to the barn on time
keeblersdad  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, November 26, 2008 9:38:10 AM(UTC)
keeblersdad

The better you are at this job, the more they give you. Been with U.S.P.S. over 21 yrs and still getting screwed for doing a good job. Not going to make it to my 30 yrs to retire. I Recommend find something else for a career.
hot_burrito_1  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, November 26, 2008 10:42:11 AM(UTC)
hot_burrito_1

quote:
Originally posted by robb79ie:
If anyone asks, just tell em all postal employees do is sit around, eat doughnuts, drink coffee, and smoke cigarettes. That's what the public thinks anyway, so why disabuse them of the notion?? Oh, I forgot, and play cards.

Dude, we're not the cops. My brother is a cop. Talk about a lazy bunch of people. I respect them, but they are lazy. Big Grin

There are people out there that don't know that rural carriers use their own vehicles. The post office ain't going to buy us nice Jeep Cherokees and Jeep Wranglers. Those things cost three or four times as much as a LLV.

They think we go in and pick up the mail (presorted in order without having to sort or pull it down), load our vehicles, and go deliver it. They are all trying to figure out why mail carriers are at the post office before the window opens. Oh, I forgot, we're all drinking coffee, eating doughnuts, smoking cigarettes, and playing cards (for 3 or 4 hours) before we go load our vehicles and deliver the mail. Big Grin
ladmo2  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, November 26, 2008 11:20:14 AM(UTC)
ladmo2

That was in the good old days. Smile
hot_burrito_1  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, November 26, 2008 1:44:01 PM(UTC)
hot_burrito_1

Yeah. I know. I'm glad they make everybody go outside if they want to do that. They never said anything about dipping snuff inside, though. We have guys who dip snuff while they are sorting their mail. It is funny what people think our job is. Big Grin
ladmo2  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, November 26, 2008 2:19:06 PM(UTC)
ladmo2

I was a supervisor from Palm Springs acting as an OIC in a great little town called La Quinta California. This was back in the early 80'a. I remember we ha a boxholder called Frank Capra. Yep that was the big time director dude back in the day.

Anyway, My supervisor buddy came up to help me one day and he had a tobacco habit. He did the spit thing. Chew and spit out the window. Well we went out supervising the area in my nice cherry white66 Mustang and came back to the PO and saw all the chaw spit marks down the side of my car. I went ballistic. Made him clean up every spot of spit off my car.

I shall always cherish that moment as OIC in La Quinta California.
bobmckane  
#17 Posted : Thursday, November 27, 2008 12:06:43 AM(UTC)
bobmckane

consider a management position??
hot_burrito_1  
#18 Posted : Thursday, November 27, 2008 8:43:03 PM(UTC)
hot_burrito_1

That is a funny story, Scuba. I don't allow smoking or tobacco use in any of my cars. Big Grin
robb79ie  
#19 Posted : Friday, November 28, 2008 1:48:44 PM(UTC)
robb79ie

In the mid-1980's when I was a counter clerk at a not-to-be-named associate office in so. Calif., I would occasionally get a celeb. at my window. Once, Buddy Ebsen ("Beverly Hillbillies") came up. We talked for a couple of minutes (that's when we had the time to do so, and even had stools to sit on). He had a young, extremely attractive woman with him, about 20-25, with a very well-turned figure. Ebsen was very old and grizzled looking and was probably about age 75. He introduced her as his "secretary." Yeah, right.
ladmo2  
#20 Posted : Friday, November 28, 2008 2:08:21 PM(UTC)
ladmo2

I once saw Telly Savalas at the movies. He sat in the back of the theater with a nice young blonde thing. The thing that cracked me up was that he was sucking on a tootsie pop! For real! Smile
Rss Feed  Atom Feed