Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rcaJUdy  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2009 12:30:26 AM(UTC)
rcaJUdy

Groups: Registered

i am an rca i work about 7 weeks out of the year. last week subbing i found an investors business daily in a mailbox. these people used to get it through the post office. now an independent contractor is putting in the mailbox. my regular carrier knew about this and did not report it. yesterday i found one and took it back to the post office along with a bill for lawn treatment they had left in the box. my postmaster is absent my regular carrier told me it took him a half hour to smooth things over with the clerk in charge about the paper. the bill the clerk said was probably a one time thing. Right. for every lawn they ever do.
Pivotman  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2009 12:46:45 AM(UTC)
Pivotman

Last week I found a Fed-x delivery in the mailbox. I called in and was told to bring it back to the office.

The time is near folks. If other companies get access to these boxes, we're done.
rcaJUdy  
#3 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2009 12:53:57 AM(UTC)
rcaJUdy

i am very upset about this I own a business. I can't use the mailbox to promote my business without postage. Why should my post office pick and choose
NECArrier  
#4 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2009 3:54:30 AM(UTC)
NECArrier

They shouldn't: its called revenue protection.
dcsci  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2009 5:43:59 AM(UTC)
dcsci

Well, as a customer, I'd be pretty pissed if my letter carrier took a Fedex delivery out of my mailbox and took it back to the post office. I realize the problem it presents, but doesn't that seem a bit extreme?
staciejor  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2009 6:05:53 AM(UTC)
staciejor

A year ago the local Dominos pizza had an employee service 1/2 my route with their ads in mailboxes. My supervisor called Dominos and told them to expect a bill. Here lately the local paper has been puting papers inside the mail boxes. I have also seen dog lost ads, lawn care ads, and even a square dance event flyer put in mailboxes. Not only will this eventually cause job loss for us, it comprimises the security of mailboxes if just anyone is allowed into them. Soon mail carriers will be accused of stealing mail from the boxes when it very well could be whom ever is working for Dominos.

I once found $700 in cash in a mail box. Some idiot left their rent payment to their landlord in there. If that had come up missing the mail carrier would be the first to be blamed.
Pivotman  
#7 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2009 6:56:37 AM(UTC)
Pivotman

rcaJudy-
Don't know what kind of business you own, but how would you like it if I showed up and wanted a free piece of it.
KingJaffe  
#8 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2009 7:22:02 AM(UTC)
KingJaffe

usps dosent know about carriers putting fedex/ups stuff in the mailbox...

USPS has a contract with fedex tho...i forgot the details,but u will see fedex stuff
CCA but not 4 long..lol
Rosey  
#9 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2009 7:42:14 AM(UTC)
Rosey

Please don't be "pissed" at the United States Postal Service employee that removed the unauthorized item from your USPS mailbox. Be "pissed off" at FedEx. Whoever chooses to send something via FedEx pays dearly for that item. Most likely, more than they would have paid had they of sent the piece through the USPS. FedEx failed to delivery properly, not the Postal Service. Federal law still grants a monopoly of the use of mailboxes to the Postal Service. Until that law is changed it is a Federal crime, with a few exceptions, to place any item in a mailbox without properly paid for and applied US Postage.
Cdog911  
#10 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2009 11:09:02 AM(UTC)
Cdog911

Rosie, correct me if I am wrong, but the way it was explained to me is that the stringent security of mailboxes is our way of ensuring the privacy and security of the mail. The only people legally accessible to the interior of that receptacle is the letter carrier and the homeowner. Anyone else who opens that box has violated the owner's right to privacy with their mail.

I don't want anyone else looking at my business except for the letter carrier and I hope that he or she takes their oath to not divulge what I get in the mail to anyone seriously.

As an aside, security of the mail and privacy is one more thing we guarantee that the others do not. I have a home business that occasionally involves shipping large objects. It is not unheard of for others in my line of work to have those shipments opened, the contents cut apart, and repacked in several smaller boxes, effectively destroying the contents of the original package, and at the very least, decreasing its value and causing the recipient more time and labor to reassemble it before it can be used.
kingsmen1  
#11 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2009 12:20:44 PM(UTC)
kingsmen1

United States Code 1725 Postage unpaid on deposited mail matter

Whoever knowingly and willfully deposits any mailable matter such as statements of accounts, circulars, sale bills, or other like matter, on which no postage has been paid, in any letter box established, approved, or accepted by the Postal Service for the receipt or delivery of mail matter on any mail route with intent to avoid payment of lawful postage thereon, shall for each such offense be fined under this title.

AMENDMENTS
1994 - Pub. L. 103-322 substituted "fined under this title" for "fined not more than $300". 1970 - Pub. L. 91-375 substituted "Postal Service" for "Postmaster General".

EFFECTIVE DATE OF 1970 AMENDMENT
Amendment by Pub. L. 91-375 effective within 1 year after Aug. 12, 1970, on date established therefor by Board of Governors of United States Postal Service and published by it in Federal Register, see section 15(a) of Pub. L. 91-375, set out as an Effective Date note preceding section 101 of Title 39, Postal Service.

Also,

DMM 508
3.1.3 Use for Mail

Except under 3.2.11, Newspaper Receptacle, the receptacles described in 3.1.1 may be used only for matter bearing postage. Other than as permitted by 3.2.10, Delivery of Unstamped Newspapers, or 3.2.11, no part of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing postage, including items or matter placed upon, supported by, attached to, hung from, or inserted into a mail receptacle. Any mailable matter not bearing postage and found as described above is subject to the same postage as would be paid if it were carried by mail.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
DMM says, in a nut shell, items should be brought back, given to a clerk to determine postage, then redelivered as postage due.

And above all of this, if anyone could put anything in anyone else's' mailbox, there would not be the need for the USPS. Which means we would all be out of a job.

Should the regular bring these items back? Absolutely. Is he/she going to get in trouble for not doing so? Probably not. My rule of thumb is this; if something shows up in a mailbox once in a blue moon, so be it, I leave it. If the guy mowing the lawn puts something in the mailbox every week, I bring it back. If the homeowners association is going to send out a news letter, drive backwards though the subdivision, and put every single one of the news letters into the every mailbox, I am going to bring these back as well. First off, they should be paying postage. Secondly, I want to ensure that my customers mail is as safe and secure as I can make it. If the lawn guy does it, the homeowners association does it, the newspaper guy, and the fertilizer guy, etc.... at some point it has to stop or everybody will do it.

[This message was edited by kingsmen1 on September 18, 2009 at 11:34 PM.]
mailbags921  
#12 Posted : Saturday, September 19, 2009 10:27:33 AM(UTC)
mailbags921

I found fliers on my route this week, then actually ran into the guy putting them in boxes, turned around and informed him it was a federal offense and if he would like to put postage on them I would gladly deliver them for him. My OIC took all the pieces and returned them to the company postage due with a warning about Federal fines. If the regular doesn't care he is cutting his own throat, revenue protection is important to all of us who would like to retain our jobs!!!
wannabee  
#13 Posted : Saturday, September 19, 2009 10:49:00 AM(UTC)
wannabee

I've had FedEx and UPS prepaid/online labels on packages that have been left in the drops. I usually mark them as Postage Due and send them on.
NEVERTHOUGHTIDBEAMAILMAN  
#14 Posted : Sunday, September 20, 2009 5:31:20 AM(UTC)
NEVERTHOUGHTIDBEAMAILMAN

I don't usually bother with lost animal fliers or neighborhood picnic notices, but most other items not legally in boxes, get brought in and handed to the finance clerk. If it's specific to a certain box, I supply the address to assist in his processing. I think he sends a letter of warning the first time, but bills follow if it persists.
mikedee  
#15 Posted : Sunday, September 20, 2009 10:14:18 PM(UTC)
mikedee

You guys should walk the route i'm on.

On a daily basis, of the 879 deliveries, there is a flier for something hanging out of the mail slot.

Is it wrong if I say I couldnt be bothered with bringing all this back?

I did find it odd, one time i found Dominos circulars distributed, with the std mail marking, but obviously not distributed by me.
dcsci  
#16 Posted : Sunday, September 20, 2009 10:46:48 PM(UTC)
dcsci

quote:
Originally posted by Rosey:
Please don't be "pissed" at the United States Postal Service employee that removed the unauthorized item from your USPS mailbox. Be "pissed off" at FedEx. Whoever chooses to send something via FedEx pays dearly for that item. Most likely, more than they would have paid had they of sent the piece through the USPS. FedEx failed to delivery properly, not the Postal Service. Federal law still grants a monopoly of the use of mailboxes to the Postal Service. Until that law is changed it is a Federal crime, with a few exceptions, to place any item in a mailbox without properly paid for and applied US Postage.

I agree - and I'm not arguing this. But my point is this: can't a solution be found that would enforce this law without punishing the recipient of the mail by delaying delivery? I'm sure USPS can think of a way to document the infraction and fine/bill the shipper without actually taking my delivery away from me.
Rosey  
#17 Posted : Monday, September 21, 2009 7:48:05 AM(UTC)
Rosey

What I have always done in my offices is this: I have the carrier bring 1 (one) of the items back to the office. I have them write the total number that was illegally placed in the mailboxes and the date on the piece. I then contact the 'potential' customer and inform them of the illegality of improperly placing items without postage in mailboxes. This usually takes care of the situation, because in most instances, the 'potential' customer claims to be unaware of the regulation.

If it happens again, I bill them at the first class rate.
#18 Posted : Monday, September 21, 2009 2:34:35 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

by all means. if that person bought the mail box isnt that persons mail box.

If i tell my mom to leave some paper work in my mail box so she doesnt have to get out , whats wrong with that?

plus. some mail boxes are up 2 sets of stairs through a screened in porch. i dont see how that is breaking the law. tresspassing maybe
stssnssdv1  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, September 23, 2009 10:29:49 PM(UTC)
stssnssdv1

Hey....YOUR mailbox in front of my house is kinda leaning over. Please fix it for me ASAP.
NEVERTHOUGHTIDBEAMAILMAN  
#20 Posted : Thursday, September 24, 2009 4:55:47 AM(UTC)
NEVERTHOUGHTIDBEAMAILMAN

quote:
I agree - and I'm not arguing this. But my point is this: can't a solution be found that would enforce this law without punishing the recipient of the mail by delaying delivery? I'm sure USPS can think of a way to document the infraction and fine/bill the shipper without actually taking my delivery away from me.

The other company's carrier that put it in your box knows the possible consequences and doesn't care. However, you want us to give up revenue for the Postal Service (and possibly risk our jobs by not following policy) to cover for the other guy who is not doing his job properly? If you want the job done right then demand that mailers use us in the first place.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed