Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Training and Certification

Whether you want to improve your skills, boost your resume or prepare for a new job opportunity, training and certification programs and resources can help you achieve your goals. With the right program and resource, you will be more productive and this will help you climb the career ladder.

Here is a forum to ask questions about a particular program, to exchange insight on which is the right training, to share which certifications are the best to attain, to seek out what to do first, and to offer recommendations to others.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
11 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
prodigy  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 24, 2009 6:57:07 AM(UTC)
prodigy

Groups: Registered

Hi there,

I have been reading lately that online degrees are becoming more respected. Is this true for MBA programs? I have a friend who recommends attending a traditional school for an MBA.
He also mentions that employers do not respect MBA's that are aqcuired through online courses. Any insight to this?
ChillinOut  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 24, 2009 8:51:17 AM(UTC)
ChillinOut

All educational programs are accredited by some organization, but not all of these organizations meet OPM's criteria.

You may want to query OPM's web site and that of the college you are considering in order to verify that their online MBA degree meets OPM standards.

If the college does not meet OPM's criteria, I would not spend my time & money on the degrees it awards. --Just my 2 cents worth.
vinkk  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 24, 2009 12:12:13 PM(UTC)
vinkk

if you are trying to get promoted within your company an online or part-time MBA program would not be bad, but if you are trying to work for a blue chip company or investment bank, you would have to go to a full time program and a top tier program.
kevinv  
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 07, 2009 7:34:27 AM(UTC)
kevinv

Online programs are a joke. Attend a local PT program during evenings and weekends.
achseh  
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 08, 2009 7:00:37 AM(UTC)
achseh

Depends upon the school whether the program is good or not.  My husband got his online from a well recognized school known for working with military (hence its flexibility).  Mine was classroom based from an equally good school known for its quality.  My husband's education is none lower in value than mine and some of his classes were more in depth than mine and vice versa.

Personally, I could not do an online MBA but that's because I prefer face to face classroom experience, while it suited him just fine. 

Bottom line, do your homework, know yourself and choose a school that's accredited and has a good reputation.

achseh2009-11-08 15:06:44
kevinv  
#6 Posted : Sunday, November 08, 2009 7:29:16 AM(UTC)
kevinv

With the government, an MBA is an MBA, no matter where it came from. So if you plan on working for the gov't for the rest of your life then it may not be such a bad idea due to the flexibility of the program.

However, if you leave and enter the private sector, out of 2 candidates with equal experience, who's going to get hired.... Joe Schmo with a Phoenix Online MBA or Joe Blow with the Georgetown MBA?

kevinv2009-11-08 15:34:53
achseh  
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 08, 2009 9:04:48 AM(UTC)
achseh

And how does what you say, Kevin, negate what I've posted?  

You shouldn't make assumptions. We've both worked for the private sector and the government with the same results.   

My suggestion stands, look carefully at the program, at its reputation and at your personality when choosing your school and program.
kevinv  
#8 Posted : Sunday, November 08, 2009 11:04:24 AM(UTC)
kevinv

achseh wrote:
And how does what you say, Kevin, negate what I've posted?  

You shouldn't make assumptions. We've both worked for the private sector and the government with the same results.   

My suggestion stands, look carefully at the program, at its reputation and at your personality when choosing your school and program.

My comment was not directed at yours, simply another response to the original question. I suppose I could have just edited my other post instead of creating a new one.
makana793  
#9 Posted : Monday, November 09, 2009 4:35:32 AM(UTC)
makana793

Hi, I don't mean to chime in but a good way to meet both of these needs is to pursue a MBA from a b&m school via online. There are many well known campus based schools that offer MBA's and MPA's totally online. Some schools include: Central Michigan University, Florida Tech, Penn State, Cal State Dominguez Hills, etc. You can just google and find out many traditional schools that offer online degrees.
kodiakbuyer  
#10 Posted : Thursday, November 12, 2009 10:31:54 AM(UTC)
kodiakbuyer

timterp1  
#11 Posted : Thursday, November 12, 2009 10:24:19 PM(UTC)
timterp1

Great point.  I looked at schools I would want to go to and then looked to see about their online/weekend/distance programs.  I did complete an MBA from a local university via their distance program.  I could go either to a class at night or on weekends, or complete it via the distance/online options. 

I will say this - I am currently taking a couple of online classes through Phoenix to get a couple of required class credits.  I guess it depends how much time and effort you put in, but this is pretty much a joke.  No offense to anyone out there but I have almost completed my first class and I have learned just about nada - and I am getting an A. 

It depends on where you go.

makana793 wrote:
Hi, I don't mean to chime in but a good way to meet both of these needs is to pursue a MBA from a b&m school via online. There are many well known campus based schools that offer MBA's and MPA's totally online. Some schools include: Central Michigan University, Florida Tech, Penn State, Cal State Dominguez Hills, etc. You can just google and find out many traditional schools that offer online degrees.
rcourtne  
#12 Posted : Thursday, November 12, 2009 11:00:06 PM(UTC)
rcourtne

Hello,

I agree, there are many GREAT online programs and degrees offered by traditional "brick and mortar" schools.  In fact, many are ranked nationally, and admissions into these degree programs are not just a "walk in the park." In addition, your transcripts and diploma do not specify whether or not you completed coursework online or not.  Check out these institutions for example: Colorado State, Kansas State, Penn State, University of Maryland, University of Nebraska, University of Southern California, Florida State... 

Good luck!

nenaphillips  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2009 11:26:05 PM(UTC)
nenaphillips

How does one find a college that works with specific groups?  For example, my daughter is Native American and she's working towards an IT certification program but has found that this is extremely expensive and is looking for any college that offers a program for Native Americans that she can afford.  Thanks for any input.
rcourtne  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, November 25, 2009 12:36:34 AM(UTC)
rcourtne

I'm not sure what being Native American or any other race/ethnic group would have to do with it.  Unless, you are referring to a “Native American” specific scholarship or something of that nature.

mallen  
#15 Posted : Friday, December 11, 2009 2:11:52 PM(UTC)
mallen

Perhaps that should read "an acredited MBA'. If you buy your MBA from a diploma mill based on "life experience" thats a different story. There is certainly a difference between real online degrees and the fake degrees that you get for paying a fee and doing no work.

mbagrad  
#16 Posted : Saturday, December 12, 2009 11:36:42 PM(UTC)
mbagrad

I have seen alot of teachers getting their advanced degree so they can get a pay hike but for me I obtained my MBA by going to school at nights for 3 years..For myself, I don't see how one would received a good education by doing an online course compared to my schedule and interaction I had in my program.  But if you just think you can get a pay rate increase of some sort, more power to you..
danaf  
#17 Posted : Sunday, December 13, 2009 8:10:11 AM(UTC)
danaf

Good thread and I agree with rcourtne's response above. 

I prefer a traditional class environment however am in a location where it's not possible.  Online is a good alternative as long as it's accredited.  Transcripts don't identify online or in class although I would think it wouldn't be difficult for an employer to figure out when they review a resume. 

George Washington U & Northern Az State also offer online mba's.  For me it will boil down to school/program reputation & cost.     
rcourtne  
#18 Posted : Sunday, December 13, 2009 11:12:22 PM(UTC)
rcourtne

Hello again,

I go crazy discussing this topic with people that assume distance programs are inferior to campus programs.  Yes, there are many programs that are a huge joke, no doubt about that.  However, not  traditional programs that offer distance learning.  There is too much riding upon school reputations for them to offer fraudulent coursework.  

In addition, I contend that employers do not know if you attended classes on-line (unless the program is offered online only), if you pursue your degree through a traditional “brick and mortar” program.  Many top universities are now offering a host of degrees which contain the very same curriculum as those offered on campus.  In fact, some of these programs have been rated among the best in the country and are designed for the working professional (meaning the courses cut to the chase, extinguishing the frivolous dog-and-pony show that often is exchanged between young inexperienced students and the lifetime academics that crave their attentions). 

If you are serious, professional, and want to learn; there are excellent distance programs out there from some of the best universities in the country.  Many of these schools have really great MBA programs and should not be discounted by those who do not know or that only operate upon hearsay.  I implore everyone interested in distance education to check out the options, many will be very suprised.

Good luck!    
danaf  
#19 Posted : Monday, December 14, 2009 12:35:34 AM(UTC)
danaf

Well - if you are working full-time in California and obtained your MBA from a school that is soley located on the East coast during the same period you were working full-time in California, I don't think it's brain surgery to figure out that it was probably a distance learning or online program.  That being said, as long as it's a good school/program and accredited - I don't think it matters much.
aplcr0331  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, December 15, 2009 3:16:10 AM(UTC)
aplcr0331

kevinv wrote:
Online programs are a joke. Attend a local PT program during evenings and weekends.

"Earn your MBA from anywhere in the world. The Cross Continent program is delivered around the world in short immersive residencies followed by longer distance learning periods that afford you the luxury of living and working anywhere you choose"

Although there are some short residencies, I would hardly call this one a joke.

Now, if you are talking about UofP or AIU or something of that nature, I can see where the joke comes in. Although, by OPM standards (and that standard alone) a UofP degree is the same as a degree from Harvard (both are regionally accredited thus meeting the OPM standard)

We are the 98%, we're totally without any access to the machinery of power and worse, much worse, we plug ourselves into the machinery of media and become a slave.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed