Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Retirement Planning

Whether you are close to federal employee retirement or just starting out in your career, this is the place to share ideas with your federal colleagues on creating a secure financial foundation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bagira77  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 26, 2007 10:45:55 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

The main question is in subject - do federal employees get discounts anywhere for any kind of services? I know that they should, but does anybody know where exactly and how does it work? I think you can get discounts even for cell phone services, car insurance etc.

All replies are appreciated. Thanks. Cool
sbek  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 26, 2007 11:02:25 PM(UTC)

Mainly you just have to ask and show you Federal ID - I've received discounts on cars motels and the like.
superdave  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 27, 2007 2:36:13 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
If you join NARFE, they offer plenty of discounts on motels and hotels, moving services, insurance, travel, car rentals, and other perks such as credit union, credit cards, CD and money market accounts. You are also notified of legislative issues and much more. I believe the membership is $35 yearly and well worth it in my opinion.

http://www.narfe.org/departments/hq/guest/home.cfm
starber  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 27, 2007 3:01:25 AM(UTC)

Was unable to get discount in San Diego in the summer, due to the huge demand for rooms especially that time of year. Other seasons they do offer federal governemnt employees discounts.
Warrenlm  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 27, 2007 9:15:15 PM(UTC)

I've found that often a hotel's terms for a "federal employee" rate (which can be less than AAA and AARP, etc.) only require a "federal ID", while othertimes they specify travel orders. I have never been challenged on personal travel when using the rate requiring ID only. Read the rate details.
Sarah  
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 28, 2007 12:14:21 PM(UTC)
saraho

Deals/Discounts for Federal Employees

Computers -

Looking for an IPod for the holidays or for a special occasion? Visit: http://www. apple.com/eppstore/federal or call 1-800-MY-APPLE for discounts geared to federal employees. If you have any further questions, contact Jeff Iden.

Dell Computers also sponsors an employee discount program. Browse products eligible for discounts directly at: Dell Employee Purchase Program (EPP).

Cellular Phones -

T-Mobile – Call (866) 646-4688 or send an email to federalmigrations@t-mobile.com and include account number, name on account, cell phone number(s),
billing address, and federal government affiliation (including the military).

Verizon Wireless/Sprint & Nextel - For Verizon, go to following qualifications page; For Sprint/Nextel, click on the following page.
Type in your work email address to see what you qualify for. According to many YGL members, you can get a discount on your a personal line or
future service contracts.

Insurance -

GEICO sponsors two discounts for federal employees. Go to GEICO's website for qualifications and contact information.
www.geico.com/federal/discounts.htm -

Lodging -

Federal Discount Lodging Directory
www.hotels.idt.net

Fedsave.com is supposed to be a FREE and PRIVATE service that helps Government employees save money. They say that they do this by keeping you informed of all the benefits and savings programs you're entitled to as a Government employee. And as a member, you get special savings on shopping, travel, dining, and more! I've never used it.
dogmom  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2007 1:40:47 AM(UTC)

I dunno - maybe I've been a Fed too long - this just seems WRONG! I have no issues with hotels or others offering discounts for work-related charges (govt. hotel rates can be as much as HALF the public rate!). But somehow it seems like taking advantage of employment status....do these companies expect you to then endorse them or their products?? What would your ethics officer say??
yakers  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2007 3:04:19 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
There is no ethical issue if a company offers a discount to Federal employees voluntarily. My wife was a teacher and got a discount on her car insurance. Lots of companies like marketing to stable employees.
Shark Soup  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2007 3:17:06 AM(UTC)

Site targeted toward govt employees. Has great deals for week-long condo rentals.

http://www.getravelop.com/html/ge_index2.asp

And another that offer more of the same plus cruises etc.

http://www.govarm.com/
hendo  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2007 7:38:49 AM(UTC)

Our ethics folks actually issued a ruling on this. I work for a land management agency and there were lots of outdoor equipment/clothing manufacturers that offered us "Pro-deals" - e.g. Pantagonia clothing at about 40% of the retail price. Why did the companies do this? Perhaps from the goodness of their hearts but more likely they wanted to be able to say that our stuff is favored and used by the employees of whatever federal agency involved.

What our ehics gurus came up with was that it was an ethics issue if the deals/discounts were being offered only to specific agencies - that we were in fact taking advantage of our "public office for private gain". However - if the deals/discounts were offered to any Federal employee, regardless of agency, that it wasn't an ethics issue.
ejm604  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2007 10:01:56 AM(UTC)

These deals are for the benefit of large groups of people within or throughout an agency. If you were the only person or persons within a select few that stand to profit, and your employment is in conflict with the supplier, than paranoia is possible. Remember that federal employees as a group may enjoy a higher level of job security, pay, benefits and credit wothiness than private sector employees. This consumer base can be appealing to marketers.
bob5164  
#12 Posted : Thursday, May 3, 2007 12:56:51 AM(UTC)

There are a number of discount programs available that your agency has to opt into.

Where I work (HUD) we are eligible for discounts with verizon and nextel wireless service.

Another biggie is the Microsoft home use program (HUP). Under this program an active agency employee can get select Microsoft software for a small fee, (around $20.00). I recently got MS Office 2007 enterprise edition for 19.95 $2.00 shipping. Check with your admin office and ask whats available.
Rich Nocis  
#13 Posted : Friday, May 4, 2007 3:59:55 AM(UTC)
drlove

Try this site and links to Oahu etc. Gov employees can stay at the Hale Koa etc...
http://www.greatlifehawaii.com/Activity/listActivity.asp?catid=261&catname=Barking Sands Beach Cottages (PMRF)
Rich Nocis  
#14 Posted : Friday, May 4, 2007 4:16:46 AM(UTC)
drlove

RAFAEL FIGUEROA  
#15 Posted : Monday, November 2, 2009 1:36:44 AM(UTC)
ANDYINCAGUAS

How about Disneyworld tickets how do you go about getting discounts if any?
SouthernLady  
#16 Posted : Monday, December 28, 2009 10:46:47 PM(UTC)

Dell gives discounts to government employees.
DualStatusTech  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, December 29, 2009 8:30:07 AM(UTC)

There are federal associations such as NARFE that offer discounts when you join.
A website is www.fedsave.com is limited but free.
GovExec.com has a Gimme my discount section which is mostly military, but has some federal programs on there.
George  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, December 29, 2009 9:39:17 AM(UTC)
jasartain

You get two hours off at Christmas time.

The cell phone companies will give you a 7% discount on your bill. Saluate.

Fonz  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, December 29, 2009 10:16:47 PM(UTC)

In DoD the cellphone guys give you 15%
jrg2000  
#20 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2013 4:54:38 AM(UTC)

cops eat for free.

Its a courtesy.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed