Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Retirement Planning

Whether you are close to federal employee retirement or just starting out in your career, this is the place to share ideas with your federal colleagues on creating a secure financial foundation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mohnnyjay  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2007 12:56:39 AM(UTC)
Mohnnyjay

Groups: Registered

Can someone elaborate on the definition of "Terminal Leave"? I am requesting annual leave in December just prior to clearing station on Dec. 31st but have been told that our station would not approve "Terminal Leave".

I do understand that leave taken up to clearing station would be considered "Terminal", however, does that mean that taking leave and returning one day before the day that you clear station is not?
drlove  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2007 3:00:33 AM(UTC)
drlove

I can only tell you it is term we used in the military. When you were ready to retire or in the process of discharge and you had leave left over. Not expected to return.
Mark the Mailman  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2007 4:03:40 AM(UTC)
Mark the Mailman

Mohnnyjay....we do need a little more info to answer your questions....

I am retired Postal Service....terminal leave was the last check I received for unused annual on the books, and hours worked in last pay period

For your agency to make a statement that you cannot use terminal leave during your last month puzzles me. They can deny your leave request based on quota full, needs of the service, etc...but your leave is yours to use as you see fit, if approved by the agency.

Terminal payment is based on the hours you had left over on the books the day you walk out the door. More info could get you better answers
Mohnnyjay  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2007 5:15:37 AM(UTC)
Mohnnyjay

Let me see if I can state it more clearly by telling you what has happened.

I advised my service chief this morning that I would be retiring 12/31/07 and would like to take annual leave from 12/3/07 to 12/28/07.

I received two different answers about taking this leave as follows:

The first answer I received was from my service chief who stated that she was unable to approve 4 weeks of leave because the facility would not allow it especially since I had not officially declared that I was retiring ...

So I went to OPM to frickin' declare it ...

I picked up a form SF52 and Application for Retirement. I discussed my intentions of taking leave with the OPM clerk who gave me a second answer by saying that the leave that I am requesting before my retirement is considered "terminal leave" and the facility was not approving "terminal leave".

I filled out the SF52, turned it into my chief and at this point, I wait for some sort of information from someone as to why I cannot take annual leave. It makes even more difficult to understand when my service chief approved three weeks of leave for another employee of this service for November. Perhaps his leave request is not terminal ... I can only quess.
ejm604  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2007 7:12:53 AM(UTC)
ejm604

My guess is that your dept does not allow more than 3 weeks of AL at a time. Also I believe terminal leave is leave that is earned and paid after retirement date. Just some insight.
postalwiz  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 14, 2007 1:11:04 AM(UTC)
postalwiz

Terminal leave is a term used for a.l. leave that is payable to you that you have earned and not used at the time of your retirement or separation, Why was your request for leave turned down? in the Postal Service and in most cases taking 3 weeks of annual leave during our busiest time of the year while the Manager can approve it would be taboo and would have great impact on operations and usually not granted unless it is for an emergency. Do not know about your Agency and why you taking annual leave that you have in the books would be turned down.
mudpie  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 14, 2007 4:52:44 AM(UTC)
mudpie

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The OPM definition of Terminal Leave:

Terminal Leave

Leave taken immediately prior to separation. Terminal leave is generally prohibited except with specific authority.
postalwiz  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 14, 2007 4:55:43 AM(UTC)
postalwiz

In my agency terminal leave is leave you have
in the books that is payable to you if you are separated, terminated or retired and by the way
the word terminal that you may be looking at
may mean something different such as the employee
being terminal; a terminal illness; etc and the
explanation from OPM expressed here is under FEGLI.
hendo  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 14, 2007 12:47:06 PM(UTC)
hendo

In my agency it only applies to the last actual day on the job - your scenario seems fine.
Mohnnyjay  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 15, 2007 9:33:11 PM(UTC)
Mohnnyjay

I have found out that Mudpie is correct ... the OPM definition that leave taken immediately prior to separation is terminal leave and generally prohibited except with specific authority ... I have since worked something out with my supervisor to circumvent this ruling.

Thank you to everyone for their replies ... 73 days and I will be looking forward to a new life stage .... woooooohoooooo!
martyb  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, August 15, 2007 10:28:04 PM(UTC)
martyb

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
When I was on active duty in the Air Force, terminal leave meant when you were nearing the end of your enlistment and you still had leave on the books, you took care of all of the separation paperwork and then just went on leave, even though prior to your actual official separation date, and then you never came back. The paperwork was already complete. Lots of people separated this way, as I recall. I think I even did it with just seven days of leave that I used.
Forum trolls to 0%
Mark the Mailman  
#12 Posted : Thursday, August 16, 2007 1:29:34 PM(UTC)
Mark the Mailman

One other point that I would like to make on this topic, on this thread is this.....

EVERY federal agency has similar, but DIFFERENT explainations for all of their policies...What applies to one, may be totally different for another.

As a Postal Service employee, I really used to chuckle when reading about policy, guidelines, raises, COLAs etc...etc... Always used to be excited, encouraged, and hopeful when these policy statements were issued concerning federal employees.....then, I always was a little disappointed when I read the disclaimer at the end of the whole nine yards that said
EXCLUDING POSTAL EMPLOYEES....

So, in the future, if you are not posting on specific sites, and you want specific information on nomenclature, or policy, please state the federal agency you work for, and it will eliminate a lot of further explanation when someone tries to give you an educated answer.

Just on this subject alone, I learned that terminal leave has at least 3 different definitions based on your agency....Amazing
Rss Feed  Atom Feed