Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Disability Retirement

The federal government allows employees who are unable to work to retire under a disability retirement. It is in the best interest of both employees and the federal government for employees to remain gainfully employed in their current grade or pay level, as long as they can provide useful and efficient service without endangering themselves, others or government property.
Disability retirement should be the very last option and should be used only when attempts have been made to preserve an individual's employment, and those attempts have failed.

Order our Disability Retirement guide to educate yourself on the rules and regulations concerning disability retirement for federal employees.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chrismillan  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2009 6:51:04 AM(UTC)
chrismillan

Groups: Registered

Hello,

I hope someone can answer this question because I've been unable to find an answer for months.

My question is in regards to the Labor Department's Election form (Form CA-1105).

I have approved disability claims with both OWCP and OPM and I was told that I can switch between the two agencies at any time. I was originally with OWCP and switched to OPM about 2 years ago. Now I would like to switch back to OWCP due to a death in the family and financial reasons.

I read on a website that I would be eligible for retroactive pay (backpay) from OWCP for the difference in pay between OPM and OWCP for the 2 years that I have been with OPM. Is this accurate? 

If so, does the retroactive date (when I switched to OPM 2 years ago) go on the "election date" line on Form CA-1105? Is this how I let OWCP know that I want to claim retroactive benefits (e.g. the difference in pay between OWCP and OPM) for the 2 years that I was with OPM?

If anyone can answer this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you for your help.

Chris

leftylouie  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2009 7:26:00 AM(UTC)
leftylouie

I know you can switch from one to the other if they are both approved because you can only collect one at a time- but back pay? You got me on that one - consult a lawyer.  I really never heard of doing that.   I kind of thought the way it worked is once you took disability retirement (usually after OWCP), you were seperated from the employer per say, therfore your retirement is permanant.
Just want to be free....
leftylouie  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2009 7:26:59 AM(UTC)
leftylouie

Unless - you recover from the disability and you are hired back-
Just want to be free....
hondo33  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 06, 2010 5:07:05 AM(UTC)
hondo33

Be careful with OWCP. I returned to work at another Less strenuous job, reapplied for OPM benefits, and then had to resign from the new job because of my OWCP injury. I asked to receive benefits from OWCP again. I was told that because I returned to work (doctor approved), I would have to prove my condition had worsened. After 2 years of hassle from OWCP,submitting all medical records confirming my condition had worsened, with me contacting SSA and OPM to get my records to OWCP (their job), I did get back on OWCP. You will have one heck of a time dealing with these people. The sooner you get started the better. It won't come easy!!!
edalder  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 06, 2010 10:38:17 AM(UTC)
edalder

The answer to your original question is yes as long as the accompanying letter from OWCP states that you can make your election retroactive to that date.

There are reasons that might not be your situation.  Without knowing a good deal more about your OWCP case, it is impossible to comment.  I would put that date in on the form.  If OWCP has an issue with it, I am sure it will tell you so.

Kivi
gonna b broke  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 08, 2012 7:05:31 AM(UTC)
gonna b broke

Cannot find answer to this anywhere. I origionally was making 45000 per year. After HRSSC finished 2 years later they stated my pay should have been due to their error 63000 per year. On my 1105 election form. It states that OWCP will go back to day one and see what is owed me. If OPM pays me then they woud have to be payed back. And if a lump sum payment was payed nothing would be paid until this was payed off although I think this was a CSRS statement. So does OWCP pay back pay when the agency is in error on pay. I had no idea..... But since I went out injured my salary went to protected base and this was supposed to be apparently whaat I should have been paid all along. I elected OPM (note to others even if your case was approved in the beginning stages when you transfer to OPM it still takes along time).
Rss Feed  Atom Feed