Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
theworkingman  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 15, 2009 12:03:53 PM(UTC)
theworkingman

Groups: Registered

Anybody knows how to quit the clerks union  (APWU) ?
FlashBack1968  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 15, 2009 12:30:35 PM(UTC)
FlashBack1968

theworkingman wrote:
Anybody knows how to quit the clerks union  (APWU) ?

[TUBE]klYjInqQDgQ[/TUBE]
FlashBack19682009-11-15 22:02:37
<center>Laid up. Laid to rest. Laid out. Suddenly getting laid doesn't sound like fun.</center>
whatever.com  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2009 12:51:48 AM(UTC)
whatever.com

You can only resign from the APWU within a certain time period around the anniversary of your membership date. So if you became a member in May, you can't resign now, for instance. Check with your steward to get your membership date if you don't know it.
miamigringo  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2009 1:34:58 AM(UTC)
miamigringo

I believe you have a ten-day window which opens TWENTY days before your join-date and closes TEN days before that date.  

But to expect a steward to give you the correct info you need to get out is a bit naive, isn't it?  They certainly lied to me when I inquired!  
overpaid  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2009 3:21:12 AM(UTC)
overpaid

Good move the $$ you save invest and when you are done with your career you'll have something rather than a handshake
krb1350  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2009 5:37:14 AM(UTC)
krb1350

When you quit the union, you should also not accept anything that's negotiated by the Union. ie. Pay raise/Benefits Senority, Job security etc. Don't quit half way quit completely. Don't expect other Union members (your co-workers) to pay for your benefits, Pay for yourself.
tippy  
#7 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2009 3:58:10 PM(UTC)
tippy

call shared services to get your anniversary date and they will also mail you the form. it's the same # you use to call in sick, just hit #5 for personnel instead of #4.
theworkingman  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2009 11:19:00 AM(UTC)
theworkingman

Thanks for the info..
I am not going to quit the Union but just want to know....

Bibleman  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, November 18, 2009 6:52:08 AM(UTC)
Bibleman

"When you quit the union, you should also not accept anything that's negotiated by the Union. ie. Pay raise/Benefits Senority, Job security etc. Don't quit half way quit completely. Don't expect other Union members (your co-workers) to pay for your benefits, Pay for yourself".                                                                                       And whatever you do, do it as if you are doing it for the LORD and you will indeed be blessed and able to sleep very well indeed. Do not worry about those who will look down upon you as if you do not deserve your pay. For their actions speak for themselves. Usually.  I left (for various reasons) when I eventually had enough of the irresponsible way my union dues were used. But, you will need to do the best job you can and many times management will learn to respect and trust you more. That is why you will need to trust the LORD like never before, for you will not have the support of sinful man.  God bless - John
FlashBack1968  
#10 Posted : Thursday, November 19, 2009 3:21:38 AM(UTC)
FlashBack1968

Bibleman wrote:
"When you quit the union, you should also not accept anything that's negotiated by the Union. ie. Pay raise/Benefits Senority, Job security etc. Don't quit half way quit completely. Don't expect other Union members (your co-workers) to pay for your benefits, Pay for yourself". And whatever you do, do it as if you are doing it for the LORD and you will indeed be blessed and able to sleep very well indeed. Do not worry about those who will look down upon you as if you do not deserve your pay. For their actions speak for themselves. Usually.  I left (for various reasons) when I eventually had enough of the irresponsible way my union dues were used. But, you will need to do the best job you can and many times management will learn to respect and trust you more. That is why you will need to trust the LORD like never before, for you will not have the support of sinful man.  God bless - John
Okay, let me get this straight. I shouldn't "worry about those who will look down upon you as if you do not deserve your pay" and yet I can look forward to " ...and many times management will learn to respect and trust you more".
Being a union member or not, is not how I will look to my fellow co-workers or to management. It's about moral integrity.
I don't like the way our government is using my money but I don't renounce my citizenship.
If you don't believe the union is handling things properly, that should be the reason that gets you involved in the union to try and change things, not a reason to get out. The union isn't perfect, but it's all we've got to protect our rights and jobs.
<center>Laid up. Laid to rest. Laid out. Suddenly getting laid doesn't sound like fun.</center>
krb1350  
#11 Posted : Thursday, November 19, 2009 6:01:37 AM(UTC)
krb1350

Bibleman,

My lord does not approve of stealing. I guess yours does.
dealmate  
#12 Posted : Thursday, November 19, 2009 6:46:51 AM(UTC)
dealmate

If it wasn't for the UNION label we would be out of a job years ago. Although, I do not agree with the unions  and some shady practices.   It is something we need. So if you need a lousy $500 a year, don't ***** Crywhen you need them!! PRO-UNION ALL THE WAY!!!Clap Think of it as a insurance policy...I hate paying for it, but it is nice to have it.  

Bibleman  
#13 Posted : Thursday, November 19, 2009 7:38:30 AM(UTC)
Bibleman

Thank GOD that we live in the greatest nation in the world. Where we have the option of showing our allegiance to whatever cause we deem necessary. If we do not wish to be part of a union, GOD has given us that option. If we wish to join ranks with the brotherhood of the APWU we can certainly do that and there is no shame. But let each man decide for himself without malice toward each other. Kinda like whether to have an abortion or not. It is an individual decision and one should not be publicly impuned. However we do need to pay "taxes" or insurance money to make sure that our leaders can supply every American with the opportunity to pursue life , liberty , and happiness. That is why I served my country in the Armed forces years ago. If we want to shame people to do what we want them to do then we are not free to make "our own choices ALL THE TIME as we choose. I think we can agree on that.  God blesses the efforts of the Righteous amd does not want us to steal.  See one of the Ten commandments (whoever inferred that not being in the union was comparable to stealing).  GOD bless - John
krb1350  
#14 Posted : Thursday, November 19, 2009 7:46:42 AM(UTC)
krb1350

Bibleman,
You are a religious nut case. You are useing god as your excuse to steal union negotiated benefits from your co-workers. Your excusses are pathetic. Join your union. Stealing is a sin.
tsdlf  
#15 Posted : Thursday, November 19, 2009 10:07:55 AM(UTC)
tsdlf

UnIon  is not perfect but believe me without it you'd be so much worse.  Maybe get yourself involved with it before thinking of dropping out.  Life without the union and working for the post office would be impossible. 
oktoots  
#16 Posted : Thursday, November 19, 2009 10:45:09 AM(UTC)
oktoots

From some management's standpoint, having no union protection would be like shooting fish in a barrell. Can you imagine the atrocities they would be getting away with without the threat of a good fight on their hands. Not that they haven't demonstrated thuggery of their own.
multiple identities to 0%
theworkingman  
#17 Posted : Thursday, November 19, 2009 11:11:37 AM(UTC)
theworkingman

Some of the my co-workers think they are being treated by the union differently....
and they say that the union would take care of the people they like.....much better than others..

Bibleman  
#18 Posted : Thursday, November 19, 2009 11:22:26 AM(UTC)
Bibleman

People in management and the union are still people.  One does not all of a sudden become a bad person hell-bent on destroying perfectly good people that work for them for no good reason. Or do they?? I suspect your fear of atrocities is  greatly exaggerated. Propaganda takes many forms. Most employees get into trouble for "not" doing reasonable service. Ever get a warning for being "on time"?
TwistedPrincess  
#19 Posted : Sunday, February 28, 2010 4:18:04 AM(UTC)
TwistedPrincess

the postal union is open shop policy. the union is required to represent members and non members equally. for 24 years i have supported the union and my dues have helped pay for many grievances made by those who are to cheap to join and pay dues. the funny thing is, the facility which i work at, it is those who seem to have the most posssessions - homes, rental properties, large tsp accounts, etc - that don't pay dues. anyway, i am for the union but the clowns that represent me in the union do NOT represent me. just last week our union showed us that despite every thing else happening with the post office that they have nothing better to do than piss off another tour. there were no complaints as to a certain issue. mangement and craft on tour 3 had no problems whatsoever with the way one used their vacation leave. tour 3 has done it this way for years and it has always been accepted. a tour 1 union rep found out about this and now is making tour 3 all abide by the locals rules (not national mind you) as to how we can and can not use our annual leave.i have yet to hear one person on tour 3 who is happy about this. even the tour 3 union reps aren't happy about it. when ones union starts trouble where there was none to begin with, it is time to leave. also i do not believe it is legal to withhold items such as pay increases, cola etc that the union got for us just because we quit. if someone who has never been a union member receives all these benefits, they sure as well not be kept from me if i quit after paying dues for 24 years.
krb1350  
#20 Posted : Sunday, February 28, 2010 5:55:20 AM(UTC)
krb1350

So you don't get your way and you just quit? That'll show them. How pathetic.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed