Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Chill  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 21, 2009 12:35:17 AM(UTC)
Chill

Groups: Registered

Has anyone taken the NEW BULK MAIL Entry Exam?<Dated November 2009> The old test gave you a study guide with the question and answers in the booklet, just study the questions and answers and you are good to go. But the New Bulk Mail Exam yeah you study and yeah it has question and answers IN WHICH NONE are on the exam. This is from the test Question "a mailer is doing a mailing on Friday in which it takes more then one day to mail out which days will the clerks work over time? Choices Thursday and Friday, Monday and Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday? Are you freakin kidding me I took the test and failed but I must say the post office is the worst company to try to move up unless you are a kiss up or a freak.
penelope1440  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 21, 2009 12:45:15 AM(UTC)
penelope1440

Interesting enough, we just had a bid up for a Bulk Mail Tech and you have to pass the 427 Business Mail Academy Exam.  My understanding is that you go out to Oklahoma for 1 or 2 weeks of training and then you take the exam.  That being said, I think there may be a pretest to see of you have an aptitude to pass the test.  The reason I say this is that I remember a few years ago for a Mailing Requiremenst Clerk test, you had to be able to pass a pretest in order to take the training and several people failed that until one passed and then went to Norman OK to take the class. 
mikedee  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 21, 2009 2:19:36 PM(UTC)
mikedee

so what are you saying?

you need to be able to read above a 5th grade level to get hired?

Chill  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 22, 2009 8:48:59 AM(UTC)
Chill

Really well from the sounds of your reply sounds like you never made it pass the 5th grade yourself. You never start a sentence with a small letter. What I was trying to say in my orginal post is that the test is so unfair. I never said it was impossible to pass.

The Post Office makes it so hard for the lower level people to move up.  What company in america would give you a 80 mins exam, oh wait it use to be 90 they change it to 80 and gave you more questions. That you have no way of studying for them, getting back to the person that posted several people had take it and several had fail, I bet the one person that did pass it some one hook them up with some of the questions.

Someone need to file on this UNFAIR test, if you are going to give a test like that, unlease give you the booklet that is well over 80 pages and let you study before giving you the test and telling you just study for a minutes and you have to take the test and you only get one  time and if you don't pass it that is it. Only in the Post office...
BrendainSC  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:11:10 PM(UTC)
BrendainSC

I was a BMEU tech until early this year.  The test question you quoted is really pretty funny, a good example of an irrelevant question, which I have seen on other exams.  If a mailer presents a mailing so large that it has to be staggered over more than one business day, it would require a separate mailing statement for each mailing presented, therefore the question is nonsensical.  Mailing dates are crucial in the BMEU, to keep our scores up & to forestall cust complaints - every mailing presented is date stamped.   I have had large mailers with small trucks call & ask for more than one run on the same mailing ON THE SAME DAY. This is an occasional courtesy for large customers, because it involves holding their mail until the entire mailing can be verified (dock space, etc).  Not an everyday occurence, and besides, it has nothing to do with who works OT or not.  Didn't they have a "none of the above" on the test?  They are just trying to see if you are using common sense.  If you bring it in on the following day, bring a new mailing statement - it is a new mailing.  A lot of BMEU stuff is just protecting revenue, keeping an eye on big customers who will clog up the works if you don't make them follow our requirements for the reduced rates they receive.  And they WILL try to get over on you.  BMEU jobs require you to keep an eye on that.
BrendainSC  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:24:09 PM(UTC)
BrendainSC

Chill I did not mean to sound condescending, just rely on your own intelligence & use common sense when you take these tests, and you will do fine.  But not everyone is cut out to be a BMEU tech, it can be stressful at times.
Chill  
#7 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2009 5:28:11 AM(UTC)
Chill

Thanks for you reply BrendainSC  to answer your question there was no none for the answer, just days.
Another nonsense question that was on this NEW NOVEMBER 2009 Bulk mail exam, " True or false? There are two type of mail classes regular and irregular.. Which the correct answer was true, but that is WRONG because their are several classes of mail.

But I did get an answer from the Manager of PEDC she told me that the reason why they change the test
was base of the number of people that took the test ver the number of people that passed it, they felt
THAT TOO MANY PEOPLE WERE PASSING THE TEST AND IT WAS TO EASY.. GET REAL only in the Post Office.
So in other words they made the test as crazy as they could.....
robb79ie  
#8 Posted : Saturday, November 28, 2009 10:58:45 AM(UTC)
robb79ie

How times have changed.  Before I retired, I was a bulk mail tech for 20 years and in my unit, NOBODY ever wanted to take the training for it.  Before Norman, OK, the training for AO's in this area took place at the main BMEU downtown.  We spent three weeks in a combination of formal training and OJT.  We even had a person who was sent down for this training and failed intentionally so as to avoid working bulk mail.  

When I made my retirement plans known, this situation caused my postmaster to request that the district manager disestablish bulk mail acceptance at my office.  Not only did nobody want to take the training, by that time the PM didn't want to spend the training hours in Norman to get anyone trained.   I was the last BME tech in my office, and I can't deny it was a pleasure to take my records over to the "gaining office" of my accounts and deposit it all there. 

I worked for about three months after bulk mail went away and my remnant position was like a part-time job that I was getting paid eight hours to do.  I did install a new kitchen in the break room that my PM had been wanting, however, and hung a few doors in the building. 

In some sense, the employees of my old office had a hand in causing the loss of a position there.  My other duties were divvied up and spread around among the remaining employees so they still got some stuff they wanted to avoid aside from bulk mail work. 

robb79ie2009-11-28 19:06:45
nyanya02  
#9 Posted : Friday, May 21, 2010 11:15:03 AM(UTC)
nyanya02

Took the bulk mail exam on 20 may 2010 and could not believe the result-ineligible-. The 2hr. self-study was horrible and the computer exam was worst. I could not believe the amount of math on the test. My bid is in a small office that only accepts bulk mail does not perform most of the duties of the larger offices. Also, the administering training personnel could not provide any information regarding the scoring of the exam. She could not let us know what areas we failed.
macid  
#10 Posted : Friday, August 13, 2010 2:19:51 PM(UTC)
macid

Confused...Is the "Bulk Mail Entry Exam" and the "427 Exam" the same test, or is one of them the pre-test?

gcgo  
#11 Posted : Thursday, July 25, 2013 2:20:02 AM(UTC)
gcgo

i just took the 427 test. They send you to okc for 2 weeks.the accomodations are great. the test is very reasonable. you have to know your basic math and you will pass. 95% or more pass. teachers are great.enjoy the pool, gym (2) whirlpool, sauna,racketball , tennis, golf, biking, basketball,ping pong,fitness assesment, exercise classes,bar, and all the good food.its an experience. first class.
Paycutter1  
#12 Posted : Thursday, July 25, 2013 6:41:12 AM(UTC)
Paycutter1

gcgo wrote:
i just took the 427 test. They send you to okc for 2 weeks.the accomodations are great. the test is very reasonable. you have to know your basic math and you will pass. 95% or more pass. teachers are great.enjoy the pool, gym (2) whirlpool, sauna,racketball , tennis, golf, biking, basketball,ping pong,fitness assesment, exercise classes,bar, and all the good food.its an experience. first class.

MUST BE IN MANAGEMENT!!!
Niatron  
#13 Posted : Thursday, July 25, 2013 7:50:35 AM(UTC)
Niatron

gcgo wrote:

What is going on here? This response is to a post on a thread with the last comment coming THREE YEARS AGO! By a guy that joined yesterday! I really don't care about the subject, but i am interested in why this issue is even on the radar. Curious.
boober wrote:<br />"If that is true as you suggest 27%..." <br /><br />Paycutter1 replied: "Awww, you used my old name, not heard that in a while..Thanks for the trip down memory lane"<br /><br />(27% was suspended. Chec
Texayers  
#14 Posted : Thursday, July 25, 2013 8:08:45 AM(UTC)
Texayers

Because clerks are the new hot job at the PO, everybody wants a bulk mail job at a plant, preferably in small town America...
It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
deleted  
#15 Posted : Thursday, July 25, 2013 4:50:12 PM(UTC)
deleted

ive seen a couple retirements in the bmeu in the last two years. with consolidation, reshuffling of the work its going to come up.
Guts  
#16 Posted : Friday, July 26, 2013 1:37:27 AM(UTC)
Guts

Paycutter1 wrote:
gcgo wrote:

MUST BE IN MANAGEMENT!!!

No, it is the training center in Norman, OK, for career employees when advanced training is required, and is not available locally.

If interested in more information about the NCED (National Center for Employee Development), here is their website....

USPS NCED

A body of men holding themselves accountable to nobody ought not to be trusted by anybody." --Thomas Paine<br /><br />
postalvet  
#17 Posted : Friday, July 26, 2013 7:40:49 AM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Paycutter1 wrote:

MUST BE IN MANAGEMENT!!!

that statement is why you are a troll.
Retired postal worker of 38 years who is willing to help even though some do not want to hear the truth.
Paycutter1  
#18 Posted : Friday, July 26, 2013 3:19:26 PM(UTC)
Paycutter1

postalvet wrote:
Paycutter1 wrote:

MUST BE IN MANAGEMENT!!!

Paycutter1 wrote:
gcgo wrote:

MUST BE IN MANAGEMENT!!!

postalvet wrote:

That statement is a joking reference to the luxury accommadations described in original text,(which you left out), because when anyone talks about saunas, or golfing, it is usually about management doing some type of meeting or retreat paid for by the post office...Just Sayin'...

Sorry you can't take a joke...Paycutter12013-07-26 23:27:49
deleted  
#19 Posted : Friday, July 26, 2013 6:42:49 PM(UTC)
deleted

ive known a few people who went there for clerk, et & supervisor training. it sounded nice but i wouldnt say it sounded luxury.
couple people said theres a good buffet nearby.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed