Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Hackstar18  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 05, 2009 12:52:31 PM(UTC)
Hackstar18

Groups: Registered

I didn't see a thread for any KC hopefuls so I thought I'd start one for any that are out there.

Also I've got a question for anybody out there who's knowledgeable about how the hiring process is supposed to proceed. I had my processing session on 11/17 and we were told we would hear something within 1-3 weeks. What I've seen from reading the other threads is that after processing usually a phone call would come asking if to accept the position, then the email to complete the E-QIP, etc. Well I haven't received a phone call of any sort, but yesterday I got my E-QIP invitation. Anybody know if it's normal to get the E-QIP email without hearing from HR first?

spence  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 05, 2009 4:07:53 PM(UTC)
spence

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Everywhere does things a little differently.  I don't know anything about E-QIP because when I was hired 2 years ago in Austin, they were still just using paper forms for background investigation.  But we filled those paper forms out before we got any offers.  So that would suggest they don't have to call you and offer you anything first.

It's still probably a good sign you got that email link though!  Maybe they are planning to call you next week.  And it wouldn't hurt to call them to ask what's going on, although they may not call back.   Hopefully someone else on here applied for Kansas City and can share their experience too so you can see if it was the same.  Good luck! 
spence2009-12-06 03:01:02
Hackstar18  
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 06, 2009 4:04:06 AM(UTC)
Hackstar18

Thanks for the info spence, now I've got my fingers crossed extra tight that everything will go through smoothly
bja999  
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 06, 2009 7:07:58 AM(UTC)
bja999

I'll tell you the timeline for me here in Austin... I was processed on 11-12 and I got the phone call offering me a job yesterday, 12-5... so hang in there, you will get the call! 

The job they offered starts 1-18... so that's another 6 weeks to wait !! 

Everything takes 6 weeks, ha,ha,ha!  
michellekcmo  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2009 2:19:28 AM(UTC)
michellekcmo

I have been waiting anxiously to hear back about the Tax Examining Technician position I applied for.  I applied the very first day the position was posted back in August.  I received a rating of nearly 98.  I attended a processing session on October 9th.  For some reason, the position was being filled through the Austin Recruitment Office instead of the KC office.  All of the paperwork, fingerprints, etc. had to be sent to Austin.  I emailed them twice to inquire.  My application status changed to Eligible-Referred To Selecting Official on November 6th.

I just received an email this morning (2 min. after I received my activation email from this site). 

The email said: 

Seasonal Tax Examining Technician GS-0592-05
09AU2-WIX0035-0592-05-KC

Thank
you for your interest in employment with the Internal Revenue Service
(IRS).  This letter is to inform you that external recruitment for the
Seasonal Tax Examiner  position you applied for, announcement number 09AU2-WIX0035-0592-05-KC, for Kansas City  has been filled.  

I am so disappointed!  It is difficult for me to believe that my score was not reached, especially since I've seen the same position posted several times since August.  Ugh!

Has anyone else had this happen?

Thanks,
Michelle

Hackstar18  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2009 6:55:25 AM(UTC)
Hackstar18

michellekcmo wrote:
I have been waiting anxiously to hear back about the Tax Examining Technician position I applied for.  I applied the very first day the position was posted back in August.  I received a rating of nearly 98.  I attended a processing session on October 9th.  For some reason, the position was being filled through the Austin Recruitment Office instead of the KC office.  All of the paperwork, fingerprints, etc. had to be sent to Austin.  I emailed them twice to inquire.  My application status changed to Eligible-Referred To Selecting Official on November 6th.

I just received an email this morning (2 min. after I received my activation email from this site). 

The email said: 

09AU2-WIX0035-0592-05-KC

Thank
Seasonal Tax Examiner  position you applied for, announcement number 09AU2-WIX0035-0592-05-KC, for Kansas City  has been filled.  

I am so disappointed!  It is difficult for me to believe that my score was not reached, especially since I've seen the same position posted several times since August.  Ugh!

Thanks,
Michelle

It's unfortunate, but not exactly unheard of. In this case, more than likely most (if not all) of the people hired under this particular announcement were probably internal candidates so once they reached their quota, they cut it off to everyone that was left. And if there were additional vacancies left for external candidates, veteran preference points probably boosted a fair number of people over 100 so they would have had first crack at the position until they were all full. All you can really do is keep trying and hope for the best.

Personally though, seeing the that hiring was done through a completely different recruitment office would have raised a red flag. I don't think I've ever seen a position listed like that (at least through the IRS, can't be certain about other agencies).
spence  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2009 11:34:53 AM(UTC)
spence

Aww, michellekcmo!  Did you apply to any other announcements?  It's a good idea to apply to as many announcements you can, even if they have the same job title.

Looks like your score may have been reached - with the status change to "Eligible - Referred to Selecting Official - but they don't necessarily have to hire everyone who is referred.  You might want to still follow up with HR to find out if they can explain why you weren't offered anything.  Hackstar is right about internal candidates and vets being possibilities.

Hackstar, you're welcome, did you get a call?  Good luck to both of you!
spence2009-12-09 19:46:10
bja999  
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 10, 2009 1:24:52 AM(UTC)
bja999

michellekcmo wrote:

The email said: 

09AU2-WIX0035-0592-05-KC

Thank

Thanks,
Michelle

Well, believe it !!  I applied for 3 job posts, my score is 99.2.  The first was open for 1 week in August, it was for 36 people to start in Dec and they filled it with people having scores over 100.  The 2nd was for 19 people to start Jan 11th, still did not get down to me.  Last one, my 3rd choice is what I was offered and I start Jan 18th. 

There are hundreds of people applying for jobs and there are not that many jobs available.  There was over 100 people processed for that first job that only needed 36 people.  If I had not applied for other jobs, I'd have never been called for anything.
Hackstar18  
#9 Posted : Thursday, December 10, 2009 12:33:10 PM(UTC)
Hackstar18

spence wrote:

Aww, michellekcmo!  Did you apply to any other announcements?  It's a good idea to apply to as many announcements you can, even if they have the same job title.

Looks like your score may have been reached - with the status change to "Eligible - Referred to Selecting Official - but they don't necessarily have to hire everyone who is referred.  You might want to still follow up with HR to find out if they can explain why you weren't offered anything.  Hackstar is right about internal candidates and vets being possibilities.

Hackstar, you're welcome, did you get a call?  Good luck to both of you!

No word yet, but I did just send in my authorization forms to start the EQIP so hopefully that'll get the ball rolling. If I don't hear anything tomorrow I'll see if I can find the point of contact and call them Monday to find out what's going on (and to make sure they got the authorization forms, can't be too careful especially this close to success).
Hackstar18  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 15, 2009 2:29:16 AM(UTC)
Hackstar18

Just a quick update for anyone out there in need of a little inspiration, I just received my phone call   asking if I was willing to accept the position! Unfortunately the only shift they had available when they got to my score was Sun-Thur 7PM-3:30AM but beggars can't be choosers so I took it (at least I can swap further down the line so it's not a big deal to me). And for those that don't think their score will ever be high enough, the lady told me my score was only an 81.5 so it is possible to get the call at anytime with any score. Just stay hopeful!
spence  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, December 15, 2009 4:51:36 AM(UTC)
spence

Congrats, Hackstar18!
bja999  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, December 16, 2009 12:31:33 AM(UTC)
bja999

Glad you got the call and job offer !  and you'll be making 10% more because you will be working after 6pm !!   
Hackstar18  
#13 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2009 4:30:46 AM(UTC)
Hackstar18

Thank you both! I just got commitment email so it's really official. Starting Jan. 31 at 7 PM (with an additional 25% per hour bonus for Sunday work on top the 10% night differential). Now I've just gotta make arrangements to move and haul my stuff all 800 miles. Piece of cake by comparison to the application process am I right?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed