Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
fed4life  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 06, 2009 9:36:26 PM(UTC)
fed4life

Groups: Registered

Are there any VSR's that could tell me how is the job from day to day for new hires? Is it stressful and difficult to move up to target GS 11/12 etc? Also, was it hard to get a job as a VSR? ( veterans service rep)

Thanks!
Knight  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 07, 2009 8:23:56 AM(UTC)
Knight

Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I am not a VSR but I know some. It is a paper pushing job of major proportions. You need some experience in medical records, public contact, knowledge of combat zones as far back as WWII, and patience. You will call, write and interview vets in various stages of functionality and you have to remain neutral (some vets are sad stories but you can't let that color your opinion just like you can't let the ones that seem to be working the system cloud your judgment) .

fed4life  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 07, 2009 9:14:34 AM(UTC)
fed4life

Thank you so much for the info!
Knight  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 07, 2009 9:32:25 AM(UTC)
Knight

Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I'm told working for the VA is a rewarding job. Busy, under-loved, sometimes abused by various folk for various reasons, but you are working a mission instead of a job. Making a difference instead of cashing a paycheck.

Wow, I should get in to recruiting ....
RickyVA  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 07, 2009 9:52:57 AM(UTC)
RickyVA

I have worked for the VA as a VSR for about a year now. In your first year, you can expect to spend a lot of time in training (that was the case for my team anyway). I work in the pre-determination side of the house. You are working mostly with paper and communicate with veteran's (and possibly dependents) in writing. There are some instances where phone and face to face contact may be necessary.

I agree that the job is rewarding - and I would agree that it's under appreciated. Many veteran's don't understand the claims process and can be less than friendly in telling you how they feel about the process. I do enjoy the job and look forward to moving on the the rating position when possible.

To get the GS-11 as a VSR you need to pass a certification test. They allow you to take it once you are a GS-10 and some-odd months. I have heard that this test is rather difficult and many people don't pass the first time around, so some extra time may be spent at the GS-10 level.

fed4life  
#6 Posted : Monday, December 07, 2009 8:48:54 PM(UTC)
fed4life

So question....can someone come in as a gs-9/11 rating VSR without the VSR experience? I am a Medical Coding Spec. for the VA now and I have experience with claims etc.
Govthopeful  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 08, 2009 2:11:17 AM(UTC)
Govthopeful

You normally start as a GS-09 as a rating VAR.  If you are a regular VAR, then you start as a 7 with the ladder GS 07/9/10/11 
fed4life  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 08, 2009 2:15:38 AM(UTC)
fed4life

Is it difficult to get a VSR job for current VA employees?
Govthopeful  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 08, 2009 2:25:01 AM(UTC)
Govthopeful

fed4life wrote:
 Is it difficult to get a VSR job for current VA employees?

I've never seen a merit promotion for VSR jobs.  I would believe if you have been doing the same type of work they would like to have you apply.  Remember if it's an open announcement, then you can apply for it even if it's not within your job classification.
RickyVA  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 08, 2009 9:31:08 AM(UTC)
RickyVA

I worked in the National Call Center before becoming a VSR. My transition was not difficult at all.

It is possible to come into the VA as an RVSR (GS-9) without ever being a VSR. I wouldn't want to be an RVSR without having been a VSR though.  A big part of the RVSR job is to insure that the VSR developed correctly and that can be difficult without experience.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed