Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Security Clearance

A security clearance is a status granted to individuals allowing them access to classified information. Those trying to get a clearance may have questions such as how does one go about attaining a clearance? And, what are the different levels? As well as other questions. This area will allow those that have clearances offer advice and suggestions to those inquiring about clearances or upgrading their clearances.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nycwind  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 06, 2010 7:59:10 AM(UTC)
nycwind

Groups: Registered

For a level 5 position of public trust needing a LBI or MBI, how do the background investigators verify if you were fired or not? As far as I know employers are supposed to only confirm your employment, give out your dates of employment and maybe salary. So how can they verify if you were fired versus laid off from a job or not?

former-fed  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 06, 2010 8:22:48 AM(UTC)
former-fed

They can/will talk to your former employer.  You're supposed to answer the question truthfully about if you've ever been fired.  If you lie, they'll find out, and you won't be considered for the job.  I was terminated from a job last January, and have the documentation to prove that I didn't do anything wrong.
nycwind  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 06, 2010 8:27:18 AM(UTC)
nycwind

I filled and sumbmitted my form OF306 and listed that I was fired from a small company and explained the reason (performance). However I did not list another job I was let go from recently because I firmly believe it was because of the poor economic conditions and the fact that the firm had lost a bunch of clients. They let go a bunch of people along with me claiming it was performance while it was a disguised layoff. My termination letter does not specify a reason. Even my supervisor (whom I use as a reference) is willing to substantiate that I was laid off.

What should I do?
Pinablo  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 06, 2010 9:47:22 AM(UTC)
Pinablo

You might want to check out this recent online chat with Derrick T. Dortch, the federal job coach who writes for the Washington Post. The fifth question is from someone who wants to know how being fired will affect their security clearance.
Basically it boils down to how serious the issue was when you were terminated, but it is better to be honest.

jhennessey  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 06, 2010 10:35:25 AM(UTC)
jhennessey

Dear Nycwind,

as asked in both OF-306, question 12 and in SF-85P, for Public Trust, question 12,  you must list if you had been fired from any job during those time-lines.

Follow the instructions to provide any pertinent information related to what happened. 

Most people who have been fired (if no great causes are involved), and who are up front and candid about it, will get cleared.

Those who are attempt to leave out information (deceive, lie, "forget" falsify, etc)  information that is required to be listed will find themselves in hot soup.  When, if they had been candid from the get-go would have been cleared.

You can forget about what supervisors and co-workers claim they will say. That also applies to the HR Dept. Once an Investigator visits these very same folks (who told you they got your back covered) usually tell a different story.

I have found (been a field agent for 25 years) that most problems are personality-related. Filed agents can usually sift through the garbage of what happened & why people left a job.

I advise folks to be candid and honest about what ocurred, to tell their side.

Hope this helps.

Jim Hennessey
Rockville, MD
(retired Federal Background Investigator)
Admin2010-01-07 11:59:01
Jim Hennessey<br />Leesburg, VA<br />Federal Background Investigator (Ret.)<br />Security Clearance Consultant
nycwind  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 06, 2010 10:55:23 AM(UTC)
nycwind

Jhennesey,

So what do you suggest I do since I already submitted the form electronically? Can I amend the form and resubmit? I am supposed to print, sign an take it to orientation.

nycwind  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 06, 2010 11:18:15 AM(UTC)
nycwind

Jhennesey,

So what do you suggest I do since I already submitted the form electronically? Can I amend the form and resubmit? I am supposed to print, sign an take it to orientation.
jhennessey  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 06, 2010 11:53:43 PM(UTC)
jhennessey

Dear Nycwind,

what do I "suggest" you do.

First, I suggest that you begin by thanking the folks on this forum for any advice or assitance.

You mention that "as far as I know" employers are only supposed to confirm your employment, dates, maybe salary.
These are Gov't investigations, not quickie verifications. Everything (good & derogatory) will be looked into and you will have an oportunity to agree, refute, etc.  

Not sure why you didn't list that job you were "let go" from, you beleive it was related to "poor economic conditions". But you still failed to list this job. That will raise a red-flag.

I cannot tell you what to do at this point, perhaps visit your security dept (person processing your paperwork) and ask them.

Jim Hennessey
Rockville, MD
(retired Federal Background Investigator)

Jim Hennessey<br />Leesburg, VA<br />Federal Background Investigator (Ret.)<br />Security Clearance Consultant
former-fed  
#9 Posted : Thursday, January 07, 2010 12:53:18 AM(UTC)
former-fed

This is why I made up a "packet" of information regarding my termination for the BI when my time comes.  I was also evicted from my last residence, but the eviction was retaliatory because I reported the owner for substandard living condition to the city and county.  I also have the paperwork to prove that I did nothing wrong, and have made copies of it for the BI.

It's much better to be honest if you want the job, because lying will reflect on your adjudication.
PacificStar  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2012 2:37:29 PM(UTC)
PacificStar

What if there was a Mutual Agreement involved (stating that you resigned instead), and HR advised to say you were never fired (if asked), because it would breach the settlement agreement and make things worst(for the prospective applicant). 

Stating you were fired, but your SF50 says "resignation for personal reasons". Is that not a contradiction of what your SF50 states? The dilhemma is how to answer such questions to a BI if ever it should arise. SF50 says one thing, but you say something else entire different. 

Is it being untruthful if you say something that contradicts what the SF50 states? 

Thanks

Scout0315  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2012 5:37:01 PM(UTC)
Scout0315

The truth is the truth. Look up 18 1001, a material , mistatement can get you up to year in jail.

The truth will never get you in trouble in the long run.Scout03152012-06-21 01:43:24
"From now until the end of the world, we and it shall be remembered. We few, we Band of Brothers. For he who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare ("King Henry V")
Rss Feed  Atom Feed