Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

20 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
weiyuhr  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 23, 2010 3:22:36 AM(UTC)
weiyuhr

Groups: Registered

Has anyone on here ever applied or worked for OPM as a background investigator? If so, what did you think about the organization in terms of morale, promotional opportunities, workload and hours, etc.

BoundForGlory  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 23, 2010 4:42:39 AM(UTC)
BoundForGlory

This is not quite the answer you're looking for but...I am going through a BI right now and my Investigator is new with OPM so I was asking her about the job. She loves it. There seems to be several months of training involved, you go out for a while on your investigations with a senior investigator to help and monitor you and she told me she worked a lot from home...hope that helps.
jhennessey  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 31, 2010 5:12:18 AM(UTC)
jhennessey

Dear weiyuhr,

I retired as a OPM background investigator last yeare after 25 wonderful years.

Like other career choices, the job isn't for everyone.

You will be dealing a lot with the public (warts & all). Most folks you deal with are good, and some not so. You will be dealing with everyone, from high an dlow, and everyone in between.

Whatever folks get into, you will be exposed to it. I found it a lot of fun.

Feel free to email me if interested in any additional information.

Jim Hennessey<br />Leesburg, VA<br />Federal Background Investigator (Ret.)<br />Security Clearance Consultant
We_llSee  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 31, 2010 6:09:28 AM(UTC)
We_llSee

That sounds awesome.  I'm hoping they open more slots this year.  I've got aps in for two locations.  I'm very happy to see you were able to make it a career for 25 years. 

jhennessey  
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 31, 2010 6:22:20 AM(UTC)
jhennessey

Go to usajobs.gov, under OPM (Office of Personnel Management), they are currently hiring Background Investigators.
Jim Hennessey<br />Leesburg, VA<br />Federal Background Investigator (Ret.)<br />Security Clearance Consultant
We_llSee  
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 31, 2010 6:27:33 AM(UTC)
We_llSee

Yes, I have apps in for two positions with plans on applying for another.  :-)
ecarlsen  
#7 Posted : Friday, February 26, 2010 4:59:55 AM(UTC)
ecarlsen

How would this position differ from say an "1810- Investigator (Reviewer)" slot, I assume such a position is at a different step in the process? I had intially been interested in the background investigation positions as I could get out of the office, was recently referred and soon interviewing for the Reviewer variant. Anyone see such a position before? Oddly I bet this is one of the stare at a computer all day type positions I am attempting to escape from, I hope I am wrong.
officerbill  
#8 Posted : Friday, February 26, 2010 10:33:23 PM(UTC)
officerbill

I remember seeing a reference to it somewhere (don't remember where though). It was described as reviewing the BI's that were contracted out to make sure they were complete and up to standards. There's probably more to it than that though.

Within the past week I've received investigator referals to three locations, keeping my fingers crossed for interviews.

lt1130  
#9 Posted : Monday, March 29, 2010 4:09:51 AM(UTC)
lt1130

Could provide your email I have a few questions
CI_Wannabe  
#10 Posted : Thursday, May 06, 2010 5:52:40 PM(UTC)
CI_Wannabe

I applied for several out of the way positions. I was found EL but no word on interview. 

How long did you wait after you were found EL to interview. I was found EL 4/15/2010

Jhenn:
I have 5 years military service and 8 years working around military with a 10 point preference.
Bachelors degree in criminal justice
and almost a Masters in Law graduate in January 2010
Current Secret clearance

How competititve do you think I am?
Do you get a gov? Or you have to use your own car? if so reimbursements?

jhennessey  
#11 Posted : Friday, May 07, 2010 1:16:18 AM(UTC)
jhennessey

Dear CI_Wannabe,

you appear very well qualified.

If you are a Federal Background Investigator, the Govt supplies the vehicle & everything you need.
 for your duties.
CI_Wannabe  
#12 Posted : Saturday, May 08, 2010 6:19:35 AM(UTC)
CI_Wannabe

jhennessey wrote:
Dear CI_Wannabe,

you appear very well qualified.

If you are a Federal Background Investigator, the Govt supplies the vehicle & everything you need.
 for your duties.

Thank you for your reply. Hopefull the hiring official thinks so as well.

I was refereed 4/15/2010 and not heard anything yet, still have fingers crossed.
jhennessey  
#13 Posted : Sunday, May 09, 2010 12:26:20 AM(UTC)
jhennessey

Dear CI_Wannabe,

the process is much quicker these days.

Back in 1981, I made initial application with the DOD-DIS (Defense Investigative Service) and it took about 1 1/2 years of processing to get onboard, which was very normal (back then).

Best of luck.
choralepearl  
#14 Posted : Saturday, June 05, 2010 1:47:49 PM(UTC)
choralepearl

TongueDoes anyone know how to become a credentialed OPM background investigator?  There are private contractors with jobs available if one is a credentialed OPM BI.  Tongue
thebonekracker  
#15 Posted : Saturday, June 05, 2010 11:12:24 PM(UTC)
thebonekracker

Depending on how things play out (budgets and management decisions), OPM is looking to add 250 - 400 people to its ranks by the end of 2011 with most of those positions being investigators, and the rest as support staff.
JmpMst82  
#16 Posted : Monday, June 07, 2010 11:55:31 AM(UTC)
JmpMst82

choralepearl wrote:
TongueDoes anyone know how to become a credentialed OPM background investigator?  There are private contractors with jobs available if one is a credentialed OPM BI.  Tongue
Although some contractors may require credentials (CACI and Keypoint), others do not (USIS).
sailormoon259  
#17 Posted : Thursday, July 08, 2010 5:15:42 AM(UTC)
sailormoon259

I recently recieved a phone call regarding interviewing for this position and was wondering what does the interview process consists of
tombok  
#18 Posted : Thursday, July 08, 2010 5:19:35 AM(UTC)
tombok

hey i was wondering if someone with an interview can list their qualifications.
i've been getting an nor score of 97 with preference, but have been told it isn't high enough to qualify even in a location with multiple vacancies.  i think i should be scoring higher than a 92 and i want to see where I can tweak my resume to get a higher score.

a quick synopsis of my background that is relevant towards this job.

superior academic achievement, B.S degree
5.5 years military (MOS 97B) 5 pt preference
human intelligence collections background
2.5 years PSI manager while stationed in Korea (Background investigations, but done to defense security service standards... i do realize opm does it now).  I've done many psi's (background investigations), 2.5 years worth in an area where basically everyone needed atleast a SECRET to work.

i thought i'd be competitive, but im not even getting referred.  Is opm only taking USIS/CACI or other active BI investigators?

tombok2010-07-08 13:36:09
Victorious1  
#19 Posted : Thursday, July 08, 2010 6:15:00 AM(UTC)
Victorious1

I just interviewed for this job yesterday, and the job it right up my alley, and I think my interview went well.  the only drawback was that I applied to several different locations, and the only one that called was D.C.  I'd hate to have to move from the Midwest to the expensive DC area, but the job sounds great and I'm already a federal employee.  Someone in a previous post said the job was one where you stare at a compluter all day, this job is EXACTLY TEH OPPOSITE!!!  You are out of the office interviewing people all the time...that what background investigators do...that and write reports. 

With reference to Tombok's question, I'm not/never have been a background investigator, but have tons of investigative experience in the banking field, so I'm sure that helped me get an interview.  I was told that they move pretty fast, and I think it's true because I just applied for the job a couple weeks ago. 
sailormoon259  
#20 Posted : Thursday, July 08, 2010 7:10:50 AM(UTC)
sailormoon259

wow that is fast.  I too applied for the washington dc area. You are right about washington dc being expensive. I was wondering did they tell you how long the probationary period is if you are hired ?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed