Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
john19  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 26, 2010 4:19:51 AM(UTC)
john19

Groups: Registered

Anyone ever apply to this and/or know the difficultly of getting noticed and selected?

Intelligence Analysts - ENTRY LEVEL

As an entry-level Intelligence Analyst, you will be part of the
Intelligence Analysis Development Program (IADP), a program comprising
classroom and self-paced training combined with a series of 3-6
operational duty assignments. The program is designed to apply your
specific academic background and/or professional experience, and to
apply this knowledge and experience in a Signals Intelligence (SIGINT)
environment.

In the program, you will learn about the broad spectrum of
information needs of our wide, Executive Branch customer set. You
will work in diverse environments that deal with a range of different
issues of significance. You will be involved in solving difficult
technical problems, applying new techniques to solve intelligence
problems, obtaining knowledge of the communications environment and
technology trends of specific targets, preparing written and oral
assessments of current events, and assessing information that provides
unique insight into target intentions unavailable from other
intelligence disciplines.

You will be assigned to a regional or topical mission
focus based on your academic background and work experience and on the
current mission needs of the Agency. Your operational tour
assignments while in the IADP will prepare you to be a professional
intelligence analyst capable of performing many jobs within your
assigned mission focus.

Upon graduation from the IADP, you will be required to
take a 1-year assignment in support of your assigned mission focus.
The exact assignment will be determined by a number of factors,
including mission needs at the time of graduation and the analytic
strengths you will have discovered and developed during the program.
Concurrently, you will be required to continue to work as an
intelligence analyst for an additional 2 years, either in your
original mission focus or for other ones.
Qualifications
Desired skills for an Intelligence Analyst include target/domain
knowledge, excellent oral and written communications, strong research,
critical thinking, and good interpersonal skills; an innate curiosity;
and a willingness to take on challenges.

An ideal candidate would possess:

* A bachelor¿s or Master¿s degree in International Relations,
Foreign or Regional Studies, Political Science (internationally
focused only), Intelligence/Security Studies, Anthropology, Geography
or topical studies such as counterterrorism, counterproliferation or
other enduring transnational issues.

* A minor in Computer Science, Computer Networks, or
Telecommunications is helpful but not required.

* Foreign language skills related to your area of expertise are
helpful but not required for Intelligence Analysis.

* Relevant internship, foreign study, or military experience is
helpful, but not required.

* Desired GPA of 3.0 or higher.

* 4 years or less of cryptologic experience
How To Apply - External
To apply for this position, please click the 'Apply Now' button
located at the top or bottom of this page.
FedSomeday  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 28, 2011 1:20:02 AM(UTC)
FedSomeday

I applied to an opening this summer (July or August 2010) to a position identical to this one.  The only thing I have heard from them are periodic emails saying that it has been 60 days since I applied and they have still not matched my qualifications to a vacancy, but will continue trying.  I have received 3 or 4 emails, and all have mentioned the "60 days" even though it has been far longer than that now. 

I was pretty bummed that I wasn't selected or even looked at, because I felt very competitive for the position.  So to answer your question john, it has been very difficult for me to get noticed/selected.  Did you apply to that opening?  Any replies since your origianl post?  Have they sent you the strange "60 days since you applied" emails too?

midwest71  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 28, 2011 2:49:47 AM(UTC)
midwest71

FedSomeday-
If you do not mind sharing, what qualifications do you have?  In general, I mean. 
thanks!
FedSomeday  
#4 Posted : Friday, October 28, 2011 4:18:46 AM(UTC)
FedSomeday

BA in History/PoliSci 
Masters Degree in National Security Studies 
2 internships with the Gov
Some hands-on analytic and Mid-East training

I lack the foreign language, computer science, and crypto skills the job announcement mentioned, but as those are "helpful but not required" I hoped my other qualifications would make up for it.  But maybe there are enough folks with degrees in the Social Sciences who have internship and travel experience, so NSA can really emphasize and focus on those applicants with the techie/crypto/language skills

Your thoughts?

FedSomeday2011-11-18 12:40:38
Beagle1AD  
#5 Posted : Friday, October 28, 2011 4:35:14 AM(UTC)
Beagle1AD

NSA Intel Analyst make the same as Analyst from other agencies except it's more competitive (maybe?)

In my agency I have never seen any Analyst hired without any full time experience.  So I would recommend you guys/gals start at the lesser cool agencies and then later on apply for the NSA.  Though I won't since what's the point if you're making the same amount.

Perhap start at CIS and get the immigration side down then a year or so later apply somewhere else and continue to move up.
midwest71  
#6 Posted : Friday, October 28, 2011 4:42:38 AM(UTC)
midwest71

Some pretty impressive bullets. 

Having sat on both sides of the interview table, in both intel and non-intel positions, substance is real important.  For example, I was a GS-09 intern at a federal agency for three months.  As a graduate student, I basically found work for myself there.  I was also real fortunate to have a unit chief who went out of her way to include me and would let me find my work.  At the end of the program I had specific and tangible products that I could reference on my resume and during interviews.  About 80% of the interns that summer had a miserable experience because they did not go into it looking for the same thing. 

Military experience is a big bonus.  No easier way to get into the intel field than to enlist in the intel field.  Or OTS if you are eligible. 

Other than that, the only thing I would advised is to think about your work as a calling.  you will end up where you are supposed to end up (I believe at least).  So at the end of the day a lot of my bullets do not even matter. 

midwest71  
#7 Posted : Friday, October 28, 2011 4:44:12 AM(UTC)
midwest71

NSA analyst pay is banded and thus not excatly equatable to other agencies.  Excepted Service (CIA, DIA, FBI??, HSI?) analytical positions are not even on the GS scale.    Many factors go into the HR computation for salary.  I would assume education, military experience, previous federal experience, private salary.
Beagle1AD  
#8 Posted : Friday, October 28, 2011 5:19:15 AM(UTC)
Beagle1AD

midwest71 wrote:
NSA analyst pay is banded and thus not excatly equatable to other agencies.  Excepted Service (CIA, DIA, FBI??, HSI?) analytical positions are not even on the GS scale.    Many factors go into the HR computation for salary.  I would assume education, military experience, previous federal experience, private salary.

Yeah I know the pay isn't excatly the same but close enough.

From NSA site their pay is:

Salary range: $42,209 to $97,333 looks like it max out close to GS-12 before having to apply again.

So my agency starting salary is $52k to $115k (GS-13 step 1 is $89k) before having to apply again for more advanced Analyst position.

So NSA pay scale is GG and others are GS but otherwise the pay is very similar.  There isn't too much difference between GG and GS.  I put the grades together and the pay is pretty damn close.
midwest71  
#9 Posted : Friday, October 28, 2011 6:51:30 AM(UTC)
midwest71

This is quickly getting off topic.  But just because I believe that we should put the most accurate information out there:
1.  Original post stated the pay was the "same".  From the figures provided, it is clear that it is not.
2.  Even if you compare the min and the max of the bands.  I do not think that the 10,000 and 17,000 difference at the end points is "the same". 
3.  of course this is moot without any knowledge of the average salary between the agencies, which is unknown.
4.  Further, the average salary is dictated by an HR worksheet and negotiation (at one of the agencies listed).  Without knowing the decision rule at the others, it really makes no sense to even speak of saying they are comparable. 

5.  And most important, the statement that "There isn't too much difference between GG and GS" is just wrongheaded.  Read up a bit on excepted service and competitive service.

So, all in all not only are the salaries between the excepted service agencies and competitive service agencies not the same, the assumption that the salaries within the excepted service agencies are the same is untenable.

But then again, I believe in, and was trained in, being accurate with my statements.  I am not sure what passes for  analysis in other places.   "Close enough" gets people killed.

Beagle1AD  
#10 Posted : Friday, October 28, 2011 7:53:16 AM(UTC)
Beagle1AD

midwest71 wrote:
This is quickly getting off topic.  But just because I believe that we should put the most accurate information out there:
1.  Original post stated the pay was the "same".  From the figures provided, it is clear that it is not.
2.  Even if you compare the min and the max of the bands.  I do not think that the 10,000 and 17,000 difference at the end points is "the same". 
3.  of course this is moot without any knowledge of the average salary between the agencies, which is unknown.
4.  Further, the average salary is dictated by an HR worksheet and negotiation (at one of the agencies listed).  Without knowing the decision rule at the others, it really makes no sense to even speak of saying they are comparable. 

5.  And most important, the statement that "There isn't too much difference between GG and GS" is just wrongheaded.  Read up a bit on excepted service and competitive service.

So, all in all not only are the salaries between the excepted service agencies and competitive service agencies not the same, the assumption that the salaries within the excepted service agencies are the same is untenable.

But then again, I believe in, and was trained in, being accurate with my statements.  I am not sure what passes for  analysis in other places.   "Close enough" gets people killed.

Well since they aren't the "same" then I recommend you apply for the other agencies before the NSA since the other agencies make more.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed