Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Security Clearance

A security clearance is a status granted to individuals allowing them access to classified information. Those trying to get a clearance may have questions such as how does one go about attaining a clearance? And, what are the different levels? As well as other questions. This area will allow those that have clearances offer advice and suggestions to those inquiring about clearances or upgrading their clearances.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nycwind  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 05, 2010 8:05:00 AM(UTC)
nycwind

Groups: Registered

I plan on submitting my SF85p over the weekend. It is a MBI. How long does the process typically take on an average?
nycwind2010-02-05 16:10:54
Godlives  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 05, 2010 8:15:51 AM(UTC)
Godlives

I got mine in 7 days. I think it varies from individual to individual.

Advice:

1. Fill the form completely and accurately
2. Pray to God before you submit

Good Luck!!

Godlives
jhennessey  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 05, 2010 9:02:12 AM(UTC)
jhennessey

Dear nycwind,

a MBI (Minimum Background Investigation) basically consist of a NACLC (National Agency Checks, Credit Checks, Law) , a PRSI (Subject Interview), written inquiries to current & past employers, schools, references covering the past 5 years of signing the SF-85P.

So depending on how fast (or slow) responses take, checks and such are done determines how long this process takes.

Schools, employers and (yes) your own references do drag the process down, by not responding in a timely matter or ignoring the inquiries.

I am very happy to hear that Poster (Godlives) had his/her MBI completed in 7 days.

I always urge folks to fill out the SF-86/85P/85 accurately & completly,and honestly.

Take those forms serious.
Jim Hennessey<br />Leesburg, VA<br />Federal Background Investigator (Ret.)<br />Security Clearance Consultant
nycwind  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 05, 2010 9:14:04 AM(UTC)
nycwind

Mr. Jhennesey: Are written inquiries send to all or just select current & past employers, schools, references? If it is all, what if some ignore or refuse to respond (some places have policies not to divulge more than basic information) ? Do they have to wait to get responses from everyone or do they just go with whatever they have after a certain period of time has elapsed? Just curious what the average time frame is in months for an non Defense/ Intelligence related agency.

BackGdInvestigator  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 05, 2010 9:49:35 AM(UTC)
BackGdInvestigator

You can help your cause by ensuring you list the correct address and phone numbers for your references and verifiers when you submit your questionnaire. Then call each of the people you listed and let them know what is going on. Please list a different name for every residence, education, and employer. You only hurt your own timeline when you don't. Listing the same one or two friends for everything is a very common error.

One person not responding or one bad zip code will delay your case to the final date of the investigation... and may not provide the adjudicator with enough sources to make a decision.

The length of time for adjudication is based on many factors, not whether the BI is for a non Defense or Intelligence related agency.
*DISCLAIMER*Correctly filling out your security forms will not guarantee you a clearance in 3 months BUT be sloppy and your case will be in the field a heck of a lot longer, guaranteed.
nycwind  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 05, 2010 9:54:21 AM(UTC)
nycwind

BackGdInvestigator wrote:

You can help your cause by ensuring you list the correct address and phone numbers for your references and verifiers when you submit your questionnaire. Then call each of the people you listed and let them know what is going on. Please list a different name for every residence, education, and employer. You only hurt your own timeline when you don't. Listing the same one or two friends for everything is a very common error.

One person not responding or one bad zip code will delay your case to the final date of the investigation... and may not provide the adjudicator with enough sources to make a decision.

The length of time for adjudication is based on many factors, not whether the BI is for a non Defense or Intelligence related agency.

If it is one person out of 15, why is that not enough sources to make a decision? Also for employers are the writtien inquiries sent to the HR, supervisors or both?
nycwind2010-02-05 18:13:30
nycwind  
#7 Posted : Saturday, February 06, 2010 3:52:06 AM(UTC)
nycwind

nycwind wrote:

If it is one person out of 15, why is that not enough sources to make a decision? Also for employers are the writtien inquiries sent to the HR, supervisors or both?

Mr. Jhennesssey?
jhennessey  
#8 Posted : Saturday, February 06, 2010 5:05:14 AM(UTC)
jhennessey

Dear nycwind,

written inquiries are sent to all (employers, schools, references) within the scope of the investigation.
Jim Hennessey<br />Leesburg, VA<br />Federal Background Investigator (Ret.)<br />Security Clearance Consultant
nycwind  
#9 Posted : Saturday, February 06, 2010 5:12:47 AM(UTC)
nycwind

One more question Mr. Hennessey...on the SF85p it asks for all employers within last 7 years, but I've heard the scope is last 5 years. So do they why ask for past 7 years? Also if not all of them get back, do they just go with whatever responses they get after a certain time has elapsed?
jhennessey  
#10 Posted : Sunday, February 07, 2010 12:03:40 AM(UTC)
jhennessey

Dear nycwind,

I was a field Investigator.

The written inquiries sent out are from another dept, not sent by the field agents.

So who exactly (HR or supervisors or both) gets these written inquiries, I cannot address.
nycwind  
#11 Posted : Sunday, February 07, 2010 1:03:34 AM(UTC)
nycwind

Mr. Hennessey; one more question - do they go back 7 or 5 years?
nycwind2010-02-07 09:08:50
jhennessey  
#12 Posted : Sunday, February 07, 2010 2:46:40 AM(UTC)
jhennessey

Dear nycwind,

you have to list 7 years, but coverage is 5 years (I don't know why).
tamam  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, February 09, 2010 7:33:30 AM(UTC)
tamam

Does anyone know if in general cases  they contact former employers in foreign countries? tamam2010-02-09 15:39:21
computerscott2  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, February 09, 2010 9:27:35 PM(UTC)
computerscott2

nycwind wrote:

If the one person who does not respond is the one person you listed as your point of reference for the place you lived the longest, then they may have some vital information to share about you. It just depends on how key that one person is when compared to your overall BI.
edemployee  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, September 14, 2010 2:24:03 AM(UTC)
edemployee

jhennessey--
So do all 5c Moderate Risk investigations require an interview with the employee? I recently started a new job that requires a 5c clearance, along with a couple of other employees and I was contacted by a Field Investigator to setup my interview, but the others havent been contacted. One person started 3 prior to me starting and the other person started the same day.

I'm trying to figure out if the interview between the investigator and myself is standard or if the is something adverse that they want to discuss with me. Thanks in advance for your answer(s).
mortey  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, February 09, 2011 8:32:56 AM(UTC)
mortey

Hi guys, 

new to the forums but a troll for a little while pertaining to DEA background investigations.

My deal is that I got offered a job with the DEA through a contractor and am now in the background investigation phase. I just found out today that the level of access I am obtaining is a Minimum  Background Investigation. 

My completed packed was forwarded to DEA hq on January 3rd and I am still waiting to hear anything back. None of the employers (some of whom I know the supervisors as personal friends) nor my personal references have been contacted. Neither has my contacts with the contractors been contacted. 

I read in the beginning of this threat that one individual's MBI took on 7 days! That's amazing. Wondering how long on average this is going to take me. I have heard from several people that it takes 1-4 months. I have never lived outside the country, I am 24 years old, and have only left my hometown for 4 years to go to college.

I would appreciate any and all help!
hjajck  
#17 Posted : Thursday, February 10, 2011 4:28:22 AM(UTC)
hjajck

I am undergoing the process, and have been waiting for 6 months since the investigation started.  This doesn't include applying for the job, and the interview.  Several investigations were outside the scope (10 years back).  I think it depends on your investigator and your circumstances.  Unfortunately for me, it confused things very much and is dragging them on as well.

Good luck to you!
contractor  
#18 Posted : Thursday, February 10, 2011 5:49:46 AM(UTC)
contractor

It really all depends on the agency conducting your investigation.  Some agencies (the ones who do their own investigations) may be screening for suitability issues as well so the type of access or clearance really won't matter (everyone will be asked the same questions during the interview regardless of level) and those "in your lifetime" questions may be called into play.  There may be no "scope" for the intel agencies and federal law enforcement agencies that do their own investigations. 

Additionally, there are many budget issues facing a lot of the government agencies right now.  These issues most likely will have an impact on the investigations and may add to delays. 
sarge_nick  
#19 Posted : Thursday, February 10, 2011 8:42:15 AM(UTC)
sarge_nick

Silly question...how do you know when the MBI is done?  So far I've had two jobs with the same Federal agency - submitted the SF-85P (and they asked for the SF-86 also), but I never heard back...ever, and it's been two years.

My RSO told me all was well when I got my new badge - and even when I transfered physical locations to a new office and had to go through all the security stuff again...never had a subject interview or anything.

People hired after me for temporary positions (I'm a PFT) have had subject interviews, in some cases they've been interviewed twice.
AFG365  
#20 Posted : Saturday, March 26, 2011 1:51:22 AM(UTC)
AFG365

For a SF85-P, do they wait until they received your FP cards to send you packet down the line for processing.  My SF85 is in, but the cards are being sent from Afghanistan and that could be 10+ days.

Thanks,
Rss Feed  Atom Feed