Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
perplexed  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 13, 2010 5:30:54 AM(UTC)
perplexed

Groups: Registered

I have been applying on USA Jobs for some time now. I finally found a position that meshes quite well with my experience and training. I took the questionnaite and received the NOR (Notice of results) which was a rating of 100 plus I have some specialty code of 01 which is for my PMP certification I was told. I called them and she said there were thousands of people that applied (of course).
So my questions are

1. What does this rating mean exactly - I know it's 70 out of 100 (not including vets) but what does it mean in respect to where I stand vs. other applicants?
2. Does the specialty code boost my rating? I think it does but not sure just how much.
3. The background security investigation - do you have to have good credit? I have been out of work 1.5 years and my credit is probably in the toilet. I barely escaped bankruptcy and was able to sell my home on the last minute so credit is not so good when you have to survive Smileon $275 per week.
4. How long is it between the NOR and a call for interview? The job ad expires 12/2010.
Thanks in advance for any answers anyone can  provide.
Tobin  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 13, 2010 5:54:25 AM(UTC)
Tobin

Yea I would like to really know what the specialty code means I have a code of 001 on one of my NOR
m2talk  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 13, 2010 8:43:12 AM(UTC)
m2talk

1.  A NOR of 100+ for the most part is considered good.  But from what i've seen on this forum it does not guarantee an interview or call back.  Some people with 100+ NOR never here anything back.  But you are ahead of the average at this point.   There are lots of other variables.

2. Not sure of the specialty code of 01.  I've only seen the following Occupations Specialty Codes on NOR letters and Referral Letters: 
001 = All US Citizens
002 = Competitive Merit Promotion
003 = Noncompetitive Merit Promotion

3.  Not sure of credit issues.

4.  There is no overall  timeline between NOR relaease and interview.  All agencies are different.  There may not even be an interview before selection.   Since the job add expiress 12/2010 that seems like one of the ads that are used to collect resumes and use them as needed when a job becomes open vs a specific vacancy for a job right now.
manitoumanitou  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 15, 2010 11:31:02 PM(UTC)
manitoumanitou

The Credit check only matters if you currently have some creditor after you.  For example, if you are delinquent (>180 Days) on a student loan and it's in collections, then you probably won't be able to get certain security clearances.  

Your credit score can be in the toilet provided that you are making a "good faith effort" to pay your debt obligations.  In other words, pay at least the minimum to keep the debt from going to collections.  That's what they actually look for, not the credit score itself.
Fed HR Insider  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2010 1:01:55 AM(UTC)
Fed HR Insider

It's tough to put in the time applying and waiting for that perfect job only to get disappointing news.  How long have you been applying and not getting any results?  Also, have you been applying for some time using the same resume??  If so, you might want to take a look at your resume.  Actually you should be tweaking your resume each time you apply.  There are several books, blogs, and federal resume tips out on the internet that can assist you with your resume.  Let me try to help you with your questions... 1. I need to know more information!  What type of announcement are you applying to??  Is it an standing register, open to the public, open to status candidates, internal announcement, external announcement, etc??  Give me as much info as you can and I will respond back.  2.  Specialty code... it's difficult to answer this without going through the application questionnaire, but I am going to assume that you had a specific question regarding certification within the questionnaire.  (Tell me if I'm wrong)  If this is the case then a couple of things could happen.  Either you will get more points for having the certification or the certification question is set up as a screen out question where if you answer "No" you will disqualify yourself.  3.  Background investigation... just be 100% honest when filling out the paperwork and you will be fine!!!  If you are upfront and honest you have nothing to worry about.  Getting caught trying to hide something is where people get themselves let go.  If you have had money issues all they will do is have a financial planner sit down with you and go over your budget to make sure you're on the right path.  Get back to me, so I can answer your questions.

Best of luck!!

Fed HR Insider

perplexed  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2010 7:44:30 AM(UTC)
perplexed

Thank you for such an informative response.  Here is a bit more info.... 
It was for a program analyst position, in CBP. It asked f I had my project management certification, and I answered yes.  I was wondering if more points get added to my 100 rating or has that already been calculated in to the 100 rating?  It says my eligibility rating for an 11 and 12 will expire in August.  
For the background investigation, I have been long-term unemployed unfortunately, and making ends meet has been tough. I barely able to sell my house on the very last minute and paid everything off. But unfortunately there are lates on my credit history because of it.  If I get this position it will be a miracle.
One last question - when you answer the questionnaire, and receive the receipt response, how long after that is a NOR sent? I received the first NOR one day after I applied. I applied for another job as a 13 and it has been a couple of days so far... 
Thanks for all the helpful information. 

RS  
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 08, 2011 11:59:14 PM(UTC)
RS

It took me about 6 weeks after the listing closed to receive my NOR. RS2011-09-09 08:04:41
mrgregory29  
#8 Posted : Friday, September 09, 2011 8:13:31 AM(UTC)
mrgregory29

This is the first time i've ever noticed a rating on my NOR. I just got one today with a 001 Code and a 105 Rating. So we'll see what happens.
scottymotech  
#9 Posted : Friday, September 16, 2011 4:43:43 AM(UTC)
scottymotech

I got 2 NORs in the past 24 hours from 2 different agencies. both 110s. I have not had a NOR below 106 when I get one, about a dozen NORs, no interview. I am honest in my resume, honest on the questions, and I submit supporting documents. Point being is don't get your hopes up. I got excited on my first NOR a 108 and haven't heard anything. If I am lucky a NS (Not Selected) or UN (Unused, no one selected). 
&lt; Trolls Please.<br /><br />73% of the 2012 Federal workforce is not a veteran
Pipemajor  
#10 Posted : Friday, September 16, 2011 5:24:55 AM(UTC)
Pipemajor

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I've never received a numeric rating on a NOR.  Always been "EL" except on the one I was 7 weeks shy of meeting TIG requirements when I got "IN" for ITIG (ineligible re: Time in Grade). Pipemajor2011-09-16 13:30:33
nomad26  
#11 Posted : Sunday, September 18, 2011 6:58:59 AM(UTC)
nomad26

I got 75 rating on mine, i think including the VET preference.

Is this a wrong calculations?

Anyways my stuff was sent to selecting officials. but the rating is still low... even tho i am fully qualified.

It is very perplexing.

DoD Civilian EOD 2011 &gt;&gt; VA EOD 2012 &gt;&gt; DoD Civilian overseas (still looking)
Beagle1AD  
#12 Posted : Sunday, September 18, 2011 3:34:38 PM(UTC)
Beagle1AD

nomad26 wrote:
I got 75 rating on mine, i think including the VET preference.

Yes the score includes vet pref, so you scored a 70 and the 5 pref points makes it 75

Is this a wrong calculations?

How would it be wrong or right?  No one here knows your qualification/background or the job you're applying to.

Anyways my stuff was sent to selecting officials. but the rating is still low... even tho i am fully qualified.

Well according to YOUR resume you are not "fully" qualified.  According to your resume you barely qualify.

It is very perplexing.

What you need to do is to redo your resume.

Not sure how other agency score people but in my agency they have supervisors read the resume and score them and not HR.

Beagle1AD2011-09-18 23:41:41
Rss Feed  Atom Feed