Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

FBI

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is an agency of the United States Department of Justice that serves as both a federal criminal investigative body and an internal intelligence agency. The FBI has investigative jurisdiction over violations of more than 200 categories of federal crime.

Headquartered in Washington, DC, the FBI has over 55 field offices located throughout the USA as well as smaller units throughout the world.

Perhaps you are working for the FBI or interested in working for the FBI. Here is a forum to share your experience with the FBI.

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
2010zeus  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2010 5:28:30 AM(UTC)
2010zeus

Groups: Registered

I am curious about the SA Time Frame or approximate amount of time it may take for a BI to take place. I know that everyone has a different scenario but here is a brief synopsis of mine. BI began Jan 2009 all contacts and current/past employer interviewed. A week ago AC stated that "tabs" came back for review but nothing was needed for additional support and that if it came back to quick it would be or usually is a dismissed/disqualified. I have a credit monitoring service and have not seen any inquiry that could be related to Bureau. How long does adjudication take and once you receive a clearance is a class date usually around the corner? I am not sure who I would call or if I am better of waiting until I get a call.

One last question does anyone know how they look at current CC debt? I have some CC debt but I am current on all of it, have a 700+ credit score and will or should have all of the debt paid off by the time I graduate from Quantico if I am given the chance to go. A majority of the debt is from school.

Thanks for any info or advice.

Emmet Fitz-Hume  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 23, 2010 1:21:05 AM(UTC)
Emmet Fitz-Hume

I don't think there is a standard answer to your question. My background has been ongoing since August 2009. They have contacted me on a couple of occassions regarding certain questions but I think that the length of time depends on your history. I have no idea on time from adjudication to class date, I hope it's relatively soon!

jhennessey  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 23, 2010 7:42:30 AM(UTC)
jhennessey

Dear 2010zeus,

there is no real time-frame that anyone can answer with accuracy.

Every applicant is different, every background is different, and so forth.

In addition, the agency you are applying to has an Employment Suitabilty Adjudication (ESA).

After that is completed your (potentail) agency has a Security Clearance Adjudication (SCA).

Once your case has a favorable employment suitability adjudication, your background investigation will be adjudicated for a security clearance.

These 2 adjudications are completed by seperate offices using different criteria.

No one can (honestly) state when your case will be adjudicated, except the folk(s) who will be reviewing all the completed reports and any any related documentation.

If you are current on your credit card debt, that is good.

Hope this helps.
Jim Hennessey<br />Leesburg, VA<br />Federal Background Investigator (Ret.)<br />Security Clearance Consultant
1Cor13:1  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 03, 2010 9:03:24 AM(UTC)

I often read of the standards for SCA (security clearance adjudication), but I seldom hear about ESA (employment suitability adjudicaion).

Could you please elaborate on the factors that ESA boards consider? Which factors are favorable, which unfavorable. How can an applicant mitigate unfavorable factors.

My first guess is that ESA considers the same factors that most employers consider - work history, work references, education level, etc. But still, are there factors that are more critical an ESA if it is for FBI (or for any generic federal job).

jhennessey  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 04, 2010 3:38:13 AM(UTC)
jhennessey

Dear 1Cor13:1,

some agencies have an employment suitability process as a well as a security clearance process.

Two seperate functions.

Example: the FBI & DEA have a zero (or near zero) tolerance for past drug usage than that for other federal agencies for it's applicants. 

The IRS has no tolerance for agent applicants who had tax problems.

These are called employment suitability criteria. It is a different animal than a security clearance.

Many agencies have these employment suitability requirements, it is up to the applicant to find out what agency has them, etc.

Hope this helps.
Jim Hennessey<br />Leesburg, VA<br />Federal Background Investigator (Ret.)<br />Security Clearance Consultant
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 04, 2010 4:30:27 AM(UTC)

Thanks Jim.
2010zeus  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 04, 2010 10:26:10 PM(UTC)
2010zeus

Jim,

Is the ESA process an ongoing process? I guess file was said to be in review and while reviewing it they had additional concerns or questions and requested additional support or and interviews from other people. Does this sounds like its in the ESA stage or does it sound like the BI is still on going? I am not sure if the ESA requests more info so see if you can pass their standards or needs additional info to support ones character/provide additional insight. MY AC said they have vouched for me however I am not sure if that means anything during the process.

thanks and sorry for confusing question

jhennessey  
#8 Posted : Friday, March 05, 2010 1:09:19 AM(UTC)
jhennessey

Dear 2010zeus,

I am not sure what you mean if the ESA is an ongoing process.

After an applicant fills out a SF-86 and the background investigation is run & completed, under a ESA (Employment Suitability Adjudication) the case is usually(remeber the word usually) forwarded to the HR department for an employment suitability adjudication (each agency has their own standards for ESA, an applicant must ask that agency what those standards are for that agency).

If the the HR adjudication is favorable, the investigation is then adjudicated for a security clearance.

These two adjudications are usually seperate processes by seperate offices using different criteria.

An applicant should ask the respective agencies their procedures.

Hope this helps.
jonardo  
#9 Posted : Saturday, March 06, 2010 12:44:32 AM(UTC)
jonardo

Jim,
I wrote this on a different thread, but I thought maybe you know the answer to my question.

I just interviewd in January for an IA position and received a CO at the end of February. I am pregnant right now and I was very upfront about that during the interview. I am due at the end of May and I am wondering what would happen if my clearance was completed quickly. Obviously, I won't be able to deliver a baby and then go off to Quantico for 11 weeks. Do you have any idea how situation like this would be handled?

Basically, I am concerned about a clearance being completed too fast and I was wondering how this type of situation would be handled. Should I talk to my POC about this and would it affect my CO?
jhennessey  
#10 Posted : Sunday, March 07, 2010 5:22:51 AM(UTC)
jhennessey

Dear jonardo,

happy to hear your having a baby, congradualtions to you.

I really don't know the answer to your question. That is out of my area.

You may just ask your POC how they work out these matters.

I wish I could give you a better answer, but I don't want to guess on something this important to you.
jonardo  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, March 09, 2010 10:26:09 AM(UTC)
jonardo

Jim,
Thank you so much for the congrats and for your thoughts. I will definitely discuss the issue with my POC.

Another concern of my is that I had PPJ (probation before judgement) drinking charge over 6 years ago...it was expunged. Long story. It was a crappy situation and I am by no means a big drinker (maybe have had 1-2 glasses of wine on occassion in the past few years). Is this going to hurt me? I will obviously disclose all details, but I am really worried about this. My husband who holds a clearance said it shouldn't be an issue since it was awhile back and it was one incident, but I am curious to know your thoughts.

Thanks!
jhennessey  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, March 10, 2010 2:53:54 AM(UTC)
jhennessey

Dear jonardo,

I am glad to assist.

Your husband is correct.

This happened a long time ago & there is no pattern.

There are no perfect people & no saints (trust me).

We all (including myself) have done stuff in our past (I call it Y + D effect = young and dumb), if you don't mind my bluntness.

The background investigators & the adjudciating folks are also human, many also a case of Y + D in their past.

The main thing in this business is to be honest & candid, that is the big one.

I have witness many folks (otherwise good folks) who tried to conceal such information for whatever reason (these things have a way of always surfacing) & they were then denied.

It is truley sad.

If the matter fell within that timeline asked & had they listed it in the security questionnaire, and had disclosed it in the Subject Interview, they would have been cleared. 

I call page 17, Continuation Space, of your SF-86, your friend. 

In this space you can explain & elaborate on anything you wish. It is an oportunity that I encourage folks to utilize.

Many folks don't even know about this page, I strongly advise folks to use it if they need it,  it's in your best interest and allows the folks reading it to know you a little bit better.

Hope this helps.
#13 Posted : Wednesday, March 10, 2010 6:32:58 AM(UTC)

Ahhh! Yeah! Page 17 is going to be a very good friend of mine! Maybe I'll wind up making a Page 18 and 19 too. Thumbs Up

jonardo  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, March 10, 2010 7:25:36 PM(UTC)
jonardo

Thanks Jim!

This is great advice. I love the "young and dumb" example. I guess I need to remember that everyone is human and no one has a perfect background. I will definitely take advantage of pg. 17 and stop worrying if I took a dollar from my Mom's purse without telling her when I was 5 yrs. old. These are the ridiculous things I think about! :)
jhennessey  
#15 Posted : Thursday, March 11, 2010 2:43:29 AM(UTC)
jhennessey

Dear jonardo,

good for you.

You are on the right road.
DACPLT  
#16 Posted : Thursday, March 18, 2010 10:21:23 PM(UTC)
DACPLT

Jim,

Great advice and info in the past posts.  I recently left the Navy and had just had my 10 investigation completed in 2007.  I was hired by a federal agency in 2009 and just received yet ANOTHER investigation clearance last month.  Will this speed the process any when I fill out yet another SF-86 and submit it for another clearance? 

Thanks
jhennessey  
#17 Posted : Friday, March 19, 2010 1:34:15 AM(UTC)
jhennessey

Dear DACPLT,

first, I would like to thank you for your service to our country, thank you.

I am not (completely) sure of the question, bear with me if I am not reading it correctly.

From what you wrote, it sounds like you had your 10 "year background" investigation completed in 2007.

If that is the case, then it was for a Secret level, which are good for 10 years & conducted every 10 years.

If you had a break in service, there are time limits during which a clearance can be reinstated without an investigation.

Any break in service of 24 months or more requires a new initial investigation regardless of the date of the last investigation.

If there is a break of less than 24 months & the time since your last investigtaion is not greater than the interval specified for the periodic  reinvestigation, the clearance can be reinstated without an investigation

You were hired by a federal agency (good for you) in 2009 & just received another investigation clearance last month,  I assume this was for a higher level (Top Secret), since the Secret was issued in 2007 & could have been used (transferred) in 2009 to that federal agency, if within that 24 month window.

Your question (if I am quessing correctly on the prior information) is will this speed the process any when I fill out "yet" another SF-86 for another clearance.

Well, let me try anwering, based on the above assumptions (please correct if I am wrong).

-You had a Secret issued in 2007 (which is good for 10 years.

-You obtained a Top Secret in 2009 (which is good for 5 years).

-Instead of filling out another SF-86 for (not sure for what level) a clearance, have that clearance that has already been granted, which has already been favorably adjudicated transferred to your to your new (or upcoming) position.

-Your security manager (or FSO) will know how to do that (transfer).

Based on the information provided in your question, this is what I surmised, please correct if not.

Hope this helps.
FederalApplicant  
#18 Posted : Thursday, March 25, 2010 5:52:46 AM(UTC)
FederalApplicant

My credit score is around 800.  I am current on my mortgage payments but I am in the process of negotiating a short sale with the bank.  Can a short sale adversely effect the chance for a top secret/SCI clearance?  Does the investigator see the entire credit report or only the credit score?

Thanks
jhennessey  
#19 Posted : Thursday, March 25, 2010 6:54:28 AM(UTC)
jhennessey

Dear FederalApplicant,

OPM obtains copies of the big-3 (credit reports), the Investigator will have access to that.

We don't consider credit scores, we review the entire credit report(s).

Hard to answer if your short-sale will affect your TS/SCI.
titan19  
#20 Posted : Friday, March 26, 2010 1:08:49 AM(UTC)
titan19

A short sale although may seem to be negative is not all bad. The FBI is trying to determine whether or not you are a financial risk: taking bribes, doing illegal activities to make money, etc. 

There are those with prior bankruptcies that have gotten security clearance. You need to be able to show and document that there is no financial security risk, how you have alleviated any current risks, and a history of financial responsibility. 

Rss Feed  Atom Feed