Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jackbauer24  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2010 7:57:32 AM(UTC)
jackbauer24

Groups: Registered

I graduated from college (4 year college) in December 2005 and I've been trying ever since to find a decent, full time job ever since.

Can anyone tell me the best way of applying for entry level jobs on usajobs.gov? Even though I have a B.S. in IT, I will do any other job avaiable and I will move ANYWHERE!  I can start within 20 days.

Mostly looking at assistant/office type jobs and management as well.

Hope someone can help. Don't know what else to do anymore.

LOL

jackbauer24  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2010 8:01:43 AM(UTC)
jackbauer24

I also forgot to add one more thing.

I also hear the "We are looking for someone with more experience" excuse.  How can I get/gain experience if I can't get a job? I really don't get that. I have a solid work history.

WannaWork  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2010 8:33:42 AM(UTC)
WannaWork

I think it's all about how you answer the KSA.  Entry level jobs are very hard to get at this point, as many people (including vet who gets preference points) are applying.

I think most KSA questions for entry level jobs are multiple questions.  Those can be hard to answer if you don't have direct experience.  I have better luck on answering higher level work, since they allow you to write essays.

To gain more experience, you can volunteer.  It sucks since it doesn't pay, but it can be a lot of fun, too.

Unfortunately, you won't be able to start working in 20 days.  Most positions require months to get!  Just keep on applying, but only apply to those you think your resume and KSA can grab attention.  Too many people apply unnecessarily, causing a huge delay in any hiring process in every sector.  You will be less stressed; trust me.

Check out other posts on how to write a resume for the government.  It's very different than the private sector.  My KSA is almost 6000 characters per question.  It's like writing a paper!

spence  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2010 5:16:58 PM(UTC)
spence

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

I thought IT jobs were very in demand?  Someone knowledgeable about that should suggest some job series for you to apply for.

One relatively easy way to start working for the federal government is to start with a seasonal career-conditional IRS job such as Tax Examining Technician or Contact Representative.  Hundreds to thousands are hired at once for these jobs, so sometimes you don't need to score that high, depending on the location.  If you are hired on a career-conditional (not temp or term) appointment, then you will have "competitive status" to apply for other, year-round jobs in the federal government as a status applicant.  However, the announcements for seasonal IRS jobs have closed for the year already.
spence2010-02-23 01:27:30
Zephyrus  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2010 6:32:32 PM(UTC)
Zephyrus

spence wrote:

I thought IT jobs were very in demand?

I am not in the IT field but my reading on employment issues suggests that SOME specific types of IT jobs are in high demand in the fed govt...seems like mostly INFOSEC.  In the private sector, the IT field seems to be suffering through what the auto and computer industries went through a decade or so ago.

For the original poster, the IT forum equivalent of federalsoup seems to be:

http://community.dice.com/

I read the forums there because the discussions are typically germane to the general challenges and obstacles to finding employment in the current economic environment regardless of actual career field.

One more thing.  One bit of "getting your foot in the door advice" I saw on these forums last year is to apply to very undesirable location where the applicant pool is likely to be smaller and then wait 90 days to attain status and start applying as an internal candidate.  The big downside is that if it doesn't work out, you could get stuck in that location for much longer than you care to be.

computerscott2  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2010 6:52:12 PM(UTC)
computerscott2

jackbauer24 wrote:

I also hear the "We are looking for someone with more experience" excuse.  How can I get/gain experience if I can't get a job? I really don't get that. I have a solid work history.
If you are in the IT field here is how you start getting experience. Volunteer. Does your church need help with their IT? Does your college need tutors for IT? Is there anyone you know that works in IT that could act as your mentor? Perhaps they could bring you into their business and let you shadow them. Lots of bosses wouldn' mind the free labor and you wouldn't mind the free experience. Start telling your friends and family that you will fix their computer problems. I did that and got so much business I opened up my own computer repair store. Put a sign on your car and advertise your services. Do it for less than everybody else, free if you have to. It is important you gain the experience. Join discussion groups or local chapters of computer groups. This will help you network into a position, even if it is just a volunteer position. Try the local Goodwill store. If you can't find anything, start buying computers and set up your own lab at home. Once you have amassed a good setup take pictures of it and bring them with you to interviews. One thing that can make up for lack of experience is an abundunance of enthusiasm and passion for your field. Practice by buying broken IT equipment and try to repair it.
Also have you thought about getting a part-time job at one of the big-box retail stores in the electronics depts? You could try Best Buy or Staples. Also don't discount your experience in school, did you work in the lab, did you help maintain their networks or a lab network?
tb_new  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 23, 2010 9:39:23 PM(UTC)
tb_new

Series to consider 2200, 2210, and SOME 0343
21jumpstreet  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2010 12:41:18 AM(UTC)
21jumpstreet

Look for entryl level career intern programs. DCMA has Keystone, Airforce has Palace Acquire.  Search USA Jobs with "Intern" as the key word.
TRW  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2010 2:27:28 AM(UTC)
TRW

frankgonzalez  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2010 9:29:09 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Also you can look at studentjobs.gov...and search for intern positions.

Also, talk to your local federal agencies to see if they have any SCEP (if you are still in school) or FCIP (if you have graduated with a degree) positions.

mallen  
#11 Posted : Thursday, February 25, 2010 1:41:59 PM(UTC)
mallen

jackbauer24 wrote:

Education can often substitute for experience.
JayhawkFan  
#12 Posted : Monday, March 01, 2010 10:14:51 AM(UTC)
JayhawkFan

Being a fresh college graduate, I too was pretty disappointed with my prospects after completing a bachelors degree and spending so much time and money on it. It seemed like everyone else had it easier than me. I realized though that I was just going to have to work my way up into the more desirable positions and prove through hard work that I was the best. I volunteered with the county government doing work in the field in my free time. At that time I also was working in a completely unrelated area, but I built a reputation at that job for being a consistently hard worker and a top thinker. After a year of that, I received a job with my state's government in the field that I wanted to work. However it was a very low paying job. Still taking one step backward to get 3 steps forward seemed like a good idea. Fast forward and after only 6 months on the job with the state, I received an offer with the feds. My extra efforts in volunteering and working in a low paying job had garnered me enough experience to be what the feds needed.

Katydid_MD  
#13 Posted : Monday, March 01, 2010 11:30:21 PM(UTC)
Katydid_MD

Congratulations on getting ahead through hard work and a great attitude!  I love to hear experiences like this!

Go Jayhawks!
TheFrederalGovt  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, March 02, 2010 12:24:16 AM(UTC)
TheFrederalGovt

mallen wrote:
jackbauer24 wrote:

Education can often substitute for experience.

It is that whole addage that I have heard: you cannot get a job because you don't have the experience because you didn't get a job because you didn't have the experience.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed