Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Glideslope  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 25, 2010 3:38:22 AM(UTC)
Glideslope

Groups: Registered

I have been employed by the Federal Government a little over 1 year and, coming from the private sector, i'd give my overall experience a B-minus.  It's taken a while to get adjusted to the "government way" but i'd say that i'm satisfied enough to stay in public service.

With that being said, I have browsed other federal job postings and recently stumbled on a job description that seems right up my alley. However, the Position Information states that :

"This position is temporary NTE 5 Years, may be terminated or made permanent. Permanent Federal employees who may be selected for the position must be willing to accept a temporary appointment."

Here are my questions:

1) What exactly does "Not To Exceed 5 Years" mean? I understand it in literal terms, but does it mean that whoever they hire will likely hold the position for 5 years? I have no problem with 5 years, but it doesn't sound prudent to take a position that has a likelihood of kicking me to the curb after 1 year. What is the likelihood of a NTE 5 going the full five years?

2) Would it be foolish to even consider a Temporary position given that I have a full time permanent position now? I would never leave my current position for a 1 year temp position, but the 5 year thing has me curious.

3) What do they mean by "willing to accept a temporary appointment." That seems to be saying "you're agreeing to give up everything to do this." lol

4) By definition, this sounds more like a "Term" position instead of a "Temporary" position. Can someone clear this up for me?

I should add that the position would be a grade increase if I were hired, with a Promotion Potential of GS-13.

Any insight on this would be awesome.

Thanks

Glideslope2010-02-25 12:47:15
Brothaman  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 25, 2010 9:03:46 AM(UTC)
Brothaman

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
It means just what it says, you can be kicked to curb at anytime. If the job last the 5 years, you would have to be extended every year.

Yes it would, you are not permanent, you are career conditional...you could end losing some benefits.

You answered your own question

With a Term position you get all the benefits of a Perm position, with a Temp position you get a paycheck, leave and life insurance. Reread the announcement to see what is offered.

If you take the Term/Temp position you will not have reinstatement eligibility.

Knight  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 25, 2010 9:37:19 AM(UTC)
Knight

Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Stick with the perm job. The temp is a crap shoot. You might win but you might lose.
HR Spec 5613  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 27, 2010 1:17:06 AM(UTC)
HR Spec 5613

I agree with most of the replies so far, but I do have some clarification:

1) As stated by the others (can last the full 5 years or end in 5 weeks).

2) Depends on your goals and current grade.  If this is several grades above your current grade, I could see why you would be interested.  The experience is qualifying for other jobs, so one year at the GS-13 is qualifying for the GS-14.  Makes sense to me if you're willing to take the chance.

3) You're not giving up everything UNLESS you have a break in service of at least one full work day.  If you enter on duty with no break, you take all the benefits with you into the term position...with the exception of your status as a CURRENT permanent or career-conditional employee.  This could count against you, if the organization runs a RIF.

4) It's a term position.

It has been said that you would lose your reinstatement eligibility...not true.  If you are not a preference eligible vet AND you have not attained permanent status (Block 34 and Block 24 = 1 on the SF50), you lose reinstatement after 3 years from the date of separation of your most recent federal appointment (temp and term appointments count, too).  If you're a preference eligible vet, there is no 3 year limit; you have lifetime reinstatement eligibility.

What you WILL lose is the ability to apply as a current permanent employee.  You will have to apply for positions that are open to former employees with reinstatement eligibility.
HR Spec 56132010-02-27 09:24:57
Rss Feed  Atom Feed