Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rosemaryjones  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 4, 2010 2:30:07 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

What are the rules on the release of a current federal employee to go to a new job with a new federal agency?  I am told the tradition is for the current supervisor to release the employee within one full pay period, about two weeks, from official notice that the employee is leaving for a promotion, and two full pay periods (about 4 weeks) from officail notice that the employee is leaving for a lateral position.  But I cannot find any authority that says the federal supervisor MUST release the employee within these timeframes, and so in theory, the employee could be stuck working for many months or forever at the old job, right?  Please help me sort this out.  Also, if it is a promotion, someone told me that the supervisor must pay your salary at the equivalent promotion salary beyond the "one full pay period" that he/she is forcing you to stay at the old job.  But again, I cannot find any authority that supports this concept.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?
WannaWork  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 4, 2010 3:00:02 AM(UTC)

Can't help, but I would think HR would be able to show you the guideline, if any.
Scott Dickinson  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 4, 2010 3:00:30 AM(UTC)
computerscott2

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 33 post(s)
I have always been told this:
Promotion = 2 weeks they can keep you, unless they want to pay you the new rate.
Lateral = 30 days
Change to lower grade = Whenever the agency wants to. Usually 30 days.
rosemaryjones  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 4, 2010 3:18:53 AM(UTC)

WannaWork:
I cannot ask my agency's HR folks this question, as they report everything to our supervisors.  I once asked for a copy of my SF 50, and a day later I got called in to my boss's office, he asked, are you looking for another job?  I asked him why he was asking me that question, and he said, HR informed him that I wanted my SF 50, and that is usually a sign the employee is looking for another job.  I tried to track down if there were any privacy rules applicable to HR handling employee records and communicating with employees, and could not find any that addressed this situation.  So no, I cannot ask my own HR folks.  I did, however, ask two friends in two separate, other federal agencies to ask their HR folks, and both came back with the answer that they did not know.  ? ? ?
Federal IT Resumes  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 4, 2010 3:41:44 AM(UTC)

You have the generally acceped rule that most people follow. One PP for a promotion, two PP for a lateral. In reality, it's negotiated by the gaining and losing agencies. Could be more, could be less.

Federal IT Resumes  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 4, 2010 3:43:35 AM(UTC)

Your current supervisor cannot hold you forever (theoretically). The reason is that as long as you have a written offer, you could basically quit your current job.
HR Spec 5613  
#7 Posted : Friday, March 5, 2010 9:36:10 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I have never found any "law" pertaining to release dates.  This is usually covered in the agency's internal policies.  From what I've seen, you all have the idea.

I applaud you all for NOT stating the obvious, which is you are not required to even give notice to your current supervisor.  You could just start reporting for work at the new job, and let the new HR notify the old HR.  I don't think most of us would really do that, though.  It just doesn't seem professional.
the rock99  
#8 Posted : Friday, March 5, 2010 9:59:53 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
HR Spec 5613 wrote:
I have never found any "law" pertaining to release dates.  This is usually covered in the agency's internal policies.  From what I've seen, you all have the idea.

I applaud you all for NOT stating the obvious, which is you are not required to even give notice to your current supervisor.  You could just start reporting for work at the new job, and let the new HR notify the old HR.  I don't think most of us would really do that, though.  It just doesn't seem professional.

HR Spec 5613 is absolutley right, if you are switching agencies there is no "release date" once the new agency hires you, you can walk out the door, you owe nothing to your current agency.  Is that wise, no, because you never know, at some point in the future you may want to go back or even to use them for a recommendation. 

Treat this just like you would any job transition, give your current employer at least two weeks notice and tell them "I am leaving on XX date to start a new job, it has been a pleasure working here and I really am thankful for the opportunities that you gave me, however it is time for me to move on in my career, thank you."

On the other hand if you are staying in the same agency and just going between different jobs you are pretty much at their mercy.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed