Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Army_Analyst  
#21 Posted : Thursday, May 6, 2010 1:44:44 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

DOD_Analyst  
#22 Posted : Saturday, May 8, 2010 10:50:35 PM(UTC)

Army_Analyst,

for FERS the retirement is calculated based on the high 3 of your BASE PAY. Check the OPM website for details.

http://www.opm.gov/retire/pre/fers/computation.asp

frankgonzalez  
#23 Posted : Saturday, May 8, 2010 11:45:53 PM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 959 time(s) in 761 post(s)
DOD_Analyst....actually, per you link you are wrong.  They refer to basic salary and pay, not BASE pay.  The examples they give include locality, etc, just not overtime and bonuses. 
Quote:
Your basic pay is the basic salary you earn
for your position. It includes increases to your salary for which
retirement deductions are withheld, such as shift rates.

So, if taxes are paid on it, and you get it every pay day, then your retirement is calculated on that number.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Army_Analyst  
#24 Posted : Sunday, May 9, 2010 10:50:14 PM(UTC)

frankgonzalez wrote:
So, if taxes are paid on it, and you get it every pay day, then your retirement is calculated on that number.

What he said.  It does include locality pay/local market supplement.
the rock99  
#25 Posted : Monday, May 10, 2010 4:46:10 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Army_Analyst wrote:
frankgonzalez wrote:

What he said.  It does include locality pay/local market supplement.

Depends on what you mean by "every payday" lots of people get overtime every pay period, overtime does not get included in retirement.
itsuptoyou2  
#26 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2010 10:19:46 PM(UTC)

See my response under "SSR + Base = your new pay". I have the email that says my pay will not be reduce and if the CPACs are setting pay differently, then that is arbitrary. Sendd me an email for more info! itsuptoyou22010-05-19 17:16:12
beth cole  
#27 Posted : Saturday, May 29, 2010 6:51:19 AM(UTC)
SGT2YA02

I just want to pass on some information in reference to 2210s converting from YA-02 to GS....

Your overtime rate will be affected.  GS has a cap on overtime (I.E. I was making $45.76/hr for overtime now I'm making $34.36/hr)

The pay conversion does not reflect your base pay to GS basic pay...instead you look at your base pay plus locality pay to Special Rate Table Pay.  I was making $60840/yr base pay and I am now making $60280/yr.  If you tack on the special rate pay (I'm GS-12 so it's 14.76%) I end up with $69,000(est). 

Just want to let y'all know not to expect a large pay increase as I was told I was to receive...when i saw my pay i was a little heartbroken...lol...I hope y'all get through this with minimal pain and frustration. 

Here is a link to another forum that has the docterine DFAS used to determine our pay changes:
Good luck to all!
RAB  
#28 Posted : Wednesday, September 1, 2010 2:53:45 AM(UTC)

JimiCat wrote:
You cannot grieve on the pay setting or guidance/regulations.

Based on my initial research - don't look good.  HR is going to stress that the overall pay did not go down - hence they met the letter of the law.

I'll post as soon as I file - appreciate if anyone else could post their research.

So what happened to those 2210s who converted in Europe?  The thread ended in May with no updates on grievances filed or for those who had not converted, any outcomes on how they were converted.

I converted from a contractor to an NSPS YA-2210 in Germany early this year.  I received a negotiated starting salary but there was no indication in my offer nor any of my hiring documents e.g. SF50 about any special rate pay (of 10%) included in the negotiated salary.  I am about to go thru the conversion and believe I will get a GS-12 with a small increase in salary (up to next step) but, as a couple folks pointed out, when I return to the U.S. the 10% special pay will be subtracted from my pay giving me a much lower base pay than what I started with as my NSPS base pay.  As stated by others this is not fair.

So what happened to those that have converted?  Has anyone filed a grievance that was ruled on?  If so, what was the outcome?

Thanks, 
itsuptoyou2  
#29 Posted : Friday, September 3, 2010 12:31:29 AM(UTC)

You're in a somewhat odd situation. #1: If you negotiated salary, that is your salary. I would believe your negotiations did not include that your Base Pay is flexible upon your return to CONUS. #2: A GS12 in CONUS does not receive SSR, only Locality. You need to become [very familiar] with 5 CFR 531.xxx!! It will help you.

And yes, you will definitely make less in CONUS that your are currently making OCONUS. CONUS does not pay Post Differential nor LQA. You get your 12 pay and Locality shich is compiled on the same Locality Pay Table.

So if you're a GS 12 step 4, specific rule exist that convert one's pay from a SSR covered position to a Locality covered position. And just to note, those rules can be gray with their wording. The gaining CPAC can use Highest Previous Rate (HPR) or Mandatory Highest Previous Rate (MPR). So read up on those regs. Again, knowledge is power.

ut2ge  
#30 Posted : Saturday, September 4, 2010 5:18:28 AM(UTC)

What about DoDi 1400.25 v531: http://www.dtic.mil/whs/...rres/pdf/140025v531p.pdf

"c. Pay Setting on Return from Duty Outside the United States. Reference (c) preserves the full benefit of pay entitlements of a career-conditional or career employee who rotates overseas. When an employee exercises return rights from an overseas assignment and the overseas service was satisfactory, the employee is entitled to a rate of basic pay not less than the rate to which he
or she would have been entitled had the employee not been assigned to duty outside the United States, including any applicable within-grade increase(s)."

How can any CPAC argue that?

itsuptoyou2  
#31 Posted : Thursday, September 9, 2010 12:04:48 AM(UTC)

Be careful; this is when a job is held for the employee in CONUS while serving OCONUS. Then, yes, when the employee excercises his/her return rights, pay must be preserved.
geekgirl13  
#32 Posted : Thursday, September 9, 2010 6:42:27 PM(UTC)

you stated 'I converted from a contractor to an NSPS YA-2210 in Germany early this year.'
You don't have return rights.  In order to have return rights you must have already been a gov employee in the states and when you accepted the overseas position your local hr would have given you a letter stating you have return rights. 
RAB  
#33 Posted : Friday, September 10, 2010 7:22:18 PM(UTC)

geekgirl13 wrote:
you stated 'I converted from a contractor to an NSPS YA-2210 in Germany early this year.'
You don't have return rights.  In order to have return rights you must have already been a gov employee in the states and when you accepted the overseas position your local hr would have given you a letter stating you have return rights. 
Geek Girl 13 - you are correct, I have no return rights but I did not mean to imply that in my post.  What I was trying to say is that when I return to the U.S. by finding a new job (say a lateral reassignment), my base pay will be reduced to a lower base rate than what I started with as a YA-02 when I was hired locally.  Some of the earlier folks who posted on this thread explained how this will happen.
Actually I just read your first post and what happened to you is exactly what I am afraid of.  You got a small increase at conversion but your base pay was reduced and this will affect you when you go back to the states.
RAB2010-09-11 03:33:34
Rss Feed  Atom Feed