Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lmoreno19  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 31, 2010 7:17:14 PM(UTC)
lmoreno19

Groups: Registered

I am a former TSA employee. I resigned from my screening position after working @ TSA for two years due to some family issues. Since then I decided to return to the TSA and since the airport that I was applying for does not participate in reinstatement, I had to go through the whole process again. I got all the way until the credit check and the candidate dashboard changed from in process to process stopped. I  called HR-Access and they simply kept stating that they did not have any information as to why it was stopped, I spoke with several managers who told me they would be opening research tickets to find out what was the problem of which non were successful. I then started doing my own research. Since I previously worked for TSA I had contact information for my former airport as well as several others and I placed a few calls to my old hr office and had someone lookup what was going on with the application. I was informed that there was a flag of some sort with my credit check and that a letter should have been sent out to me containing information on how to resolve the issue. The candidate dashboard had been showing stopped for four months and no letter had been sent and HR-Access still did not have the status. I started contacting FOIA and OPM to try to get information on this credit check because I pulled my credit reports with all three bureaus and non showed any problem nor inquiries by TSA or affiliates. I finally got in contact which someone in the recruiting office and was informed that the letter was supposedly mailed out to me via FedEx but was undeliverable for incomplete address. The only problem I had with this was on my profile and application my address has never changed, I have had the same address even since I was employed by TSA. According to the recruiter as a business rule the letter is only sent out once. I asked to be provided with a tracking number for the letter that was sent and no one was able to provide that and this application has been in limbo for over a year now.  Has anyone received one of these letter from Per-Sec(Personnel Security) and if so can you explain how you were able to resolve the adjudication for the credit check. I am considering taking legal action against TSA something seems fishy about this whole situation. Any suggestions please feel free to reply.    
CASDGuy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 01, 2010 7:58:26 AM(UTC)
CASDGuy

Well so did you check your credit report?  It's free at annual credit report.

Either you have a problem or you don't, instead of waiting for TSA to tell you, you can find out on your own.

If your credit is clean then you should contact them if not then you'll have to explain and if it's acceptable then they can continue.

I was late on $20 about 3 years ago and I had to explain that even though it never went into collection.
JJJJust  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 02, 2010 12:53:54 AM(UTC)
JJJJust

Notify the TSA Ombudsman (http://www.tsa.gov/join/benefits/careers_benefits_ombudsman.shtm), they should be able to assist you further.
lmoreno19  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 05, 2010 1:22:27 AM(UTC)
lmoreno19

Thanks I will contact this office.
lmoreno19  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 05, 2010 1:27:54 AM(UTC)
lmoreno19

Yes I did check my credit and it does not show anything that would disqualify me, my report also does not show that they have pulled my credit.
alohasteve  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 08, 2010 9:59:39 AM(UTC)
alohasteve

I think the TSA hiring process is a joke. I applied for a position in October of 2009, took the computer test in December 0f 2009 and passed. Afterwards, I faxed in all of my required forms and waited for a reply. A month later I get a call that they didn't receive one of my faxes so I sent it again the same day. The lady at HR told me it would take a few days to process so I called her back after a week to see if they received my fax, but she said it never showed up and she could'nt find it. I  had to fax my form 3 more times after that before they finally found it. Well, now it's April and I finally get something in the mail from TSA. They finished my credit check and they say I failed. Enclosed with the letter was a copy of my credit report. It shows that there is NO outstanding debt on my credit history. The only thing still open is a credit card which I owe $630 dollars and still making regular payments on with NO late payments whatsoever. Also, it shows that last year, in June of 2009, I was late on making my monthly child support payment. My balance on that was paid in full and it states that in my credit report. so why am I being denied employment by TSA?!?! I called TSA's help line and they said they can't help me and I need to contact the credit reporting agency. So I called the credit reporting agency and they rudely tell me I need to contact TSA. Can anyone PLEASE help me! I've been in this process since last year and I've seen where other people get hired who started the process after me. If I thought something was wrong with my credit I would try to fix it....but there's really nothing wrong besides a late payment of child support which currently I'm caught up on. If anybody else is going through this problem please post and let others know how you came to a soluition thanks!
Dlind83  
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 17, 2010 9:07:35 PM(UTC)
Dlind83

Hello,

I would like to say first off I almost thought this was my post!  I also worked for the TSA for 2 years from 04 to 06.  I resigned due to family reasons also and decided in January I wanted to go back.  I applied, was tested and offered a contingent offer all within 1 1/2 weeks of applying.  I then went into the "credit check," faxed in my releases on January 30th 2010.  On Feb 2nd I was told my credit check was in process and Feb 7th 2010 on the candidate dashboard it said "Process stopped."  Much like you I waited for nearly a month before calling the TSA HR-Access who of course couldn't help me, I also talked to several managers and supervisors there and they sent in tickets for people to contact me, gave me e-mail addresses to contact to get ahold of people who could help me etc.  I waited and waited with nothing so I decided it was time to move on since they obviously weren't going to contact me.  On April 16th 2010 over 2 months after starting the credit check I get an overnight envelope from Fed-ex that was 2 pages saying I didn't meet the requirements for the TSA credit check and that if I felt this was an error to contact Per-Sec at the number listed.  I contacted them and was told to mail in a letter stating what the problem was, my name and all that and they would have 40 days to "investigate" and get back to me.  This was just 2 days ago when I actually faxed it to them and am now in my 40 day waiting period.  My credit check only has about 700 in past due debt on it and that debt is medical bills that are from about 5 years ago. 

I am not sure where this will go but to answer your question yes I did get a letter in the mail.  This is NOTHING like it used to be, I had absolutely no issues the first time around and was completely hired within 5 weeks of application date.  I liked it MUCH better when they had that company hire everyone for them because I am afraid of how long the "airport assessment" will take if they find this time around that my credit check is fine.

Very very frustrating!

Dlind83  
#8 Posted : Saturday, April 17, 2010 9:13:13 PM(UTC)
Dlind83

Alohasteve, I just read your post.  The TSA is VERY strict about hiring people who have ever had issues with child support or taxes, I know a guy I worked at the TSA with about 5 years ago was fired for being late on a child support payment.  I would advise you give the first company listed on your letter a call (the one that isnt a name of a credit bureau) and tell them you'd like to dispute their decision.  They will tell you to write a letter explaining everything, with your name, social, address, date of birth and contact inforrmation and they will have so long to investigate the issue.  You obviously cannot help the late child support payment but its possible that if you explain they will forgive it.  I have been having tons of problem with this phase too for no reason and am also disputing.  it sounds like a ton of people are going through the same thing.
lmoreno19  
#9 Posted : Sunday, April 18, 2010 2:38:38 AM(UTC)
lmoreno19

It seems that our stories are very similar. However you are one step ahead of me. I have been trying for quite some time to get my hands on that letter from PerSec so that I may dispute it. I called Hr-Access again last week and told them that I never received the letter and I was instructed to email tsaprehire@dhs.gov  to request that another letter be sent to me. I never got a response nor have I received the letter 
Coolas70degrees  
#10 Posted : Sunday, April 18, 2010 2:47:03 AM(UTC)
Coolas70degrees

So when looking at your credit report, there are some things if you are late on that is acceptable and some that is not? What exactly is acceptable.

aspen  
#11 Posted : Sunday, April 18, 2010 4:53:57 AM(UTC)
aspen

Hello everyone,  I received the same letter, except there was no number to call for per-sec..

Does anybody have a fax number for them.  I have emailed prehire and obmens to get this taken care of.. Nobody ever gets back with you... Thanks and good luck...
Aspen
alohasteve  
#12 Posted : Monday, April 19, 2010 4:54:28 AM(UTC)
alohasteve

I searched everywhere for the number to per-sec, even on the internet but I couldn't find it anywhere and the Human Resources Dept for TSA was uncooperative too. They wouldn't even help me! What I did was send a letter to the return address on the envelope I received from TSA Personnnel Security Division. I hope this works but I won't get my hopes up about it. This is just totally frustrating. I'll keep you posted!
alohasteve  
#13 Posted : Monday, April 19, 2010 5:22:40 AM(UTC)
alohasteve

@Dlind83 Thanks for your reply! I am currently caught up on my child support payments but what I can't understand is....Yes, I had a problem with being behind on a few payments because I lost my job a few years ago. Well my past due issues have been paid up since last year. So does TSA really hold it against me that I was late in making payments a few times in the past even though I'm currently caught up on my debt? I recently sent a letter to the TSA Personnel Security Division stating my case. The rejection letter I received from TSA states that you shouldn't have any CURRENT outstanding debt...and I don't. I hope this issue gets resolved quickly. I applied for this job last October. It's very frustrating.
ish500  
#14 Posted : Monday, April 19, 2010 8:20:52 AM(UTC)
ish500

does anyone know if TSA does another credit check after you pass the credit check phase. like somewhere between the e86 and background check phase. I am on the medical stage and I have a 600 medical bill . that i wanted to know if it would disqualify me.
Dlind83  
#15 Posted : Monday, April 19, 2010 10:27:15 PM(UTC)
Dlind83

Yes but it took me months to get that one step.  I also was told to e-mail that same address and they never responded to me, about 3 weeks later I received the letter from overnight fed ex on my doorstep.  By the way they don't try to contact you or anything so I have no idea how the TSA could say it wasn't deliverable.  They will simply leave it at your doorstep and go on with their deliveries.  I at this point am about to give up due to the fact its taken me MONTHS to get a job back, they already know I am no terrorist and that I am fit for the job being that I did it before and was very good at it.  ALL this for 25 hours per week :(  Sometimes I wonder what I am doing.
Dlind83  
#16 Posted : Monday, April 19, 2010 10:28:59 PM(UTC)
Dlind83

In the credit check phase they just require that you don't have $7,500 in unpaid late debt, I dont think you can have any child support or tax issues and you cannot have bankrupcy, anyone suing you or large issues that happened in court.  Taxes is the biggest part, if you've ever been late paying them, they will find out and most likely disqualify you.
Dlind83  
#17 Posted : Monday, April 19, 2010 10:47:54 PM(UTC)
Dlind83

@alohasteve  I am not sure about that, it seems to be like they shouldn't hold that against you being that its in the past and you did make it current.  What I did was sent a detailed letter along with a copy of the report they sent me that was all outlined with all my problems.  For one I was sent a credit report that had 75% of my bills doubled and at first I thought it was some weird way of them showing debts from two credit reports but then at the end it showed the duplicates ADDED UP and that I was in debt DOUBLE what I should have showed.  Also they requested a credit check right when 7 medical bills were mistakenly put onto my credit report that the hospital failed to send to my insurance company and were sending bills to the wrong address for months so I never knew there was a balance (my insurance co pays 100%).  I have almost nothing left on my credit report after the disputes I sent in but I only did that last week.  She said it can take another 6 weeks to fix it all on my credit report and hear anything back!!!

I think they are getting too many replies from people who are very qualified for their positions but they don't have the money or resources to hire and train us all so they are dragging their feet wherever possible. 

I was already a TSA security screener/officer back in 2004 - 2006 and the process went "apply" 2 weeks later I am invited to a computerized test put on by the TSA.  I walked out of the test and was pulled into another room where I was told I passed and given a huge paper worksheet packet, told to go home and log onto a page where I could input all the information *it was my background*  and within a week I was invited to "phase 2" where I basically went into a hotel and first room was an interview and was told I passed immediately, went to 2nd for my color vision test and told I passed so went to 3rd for my small physical agility test, told I passed that and in for my hearing/vision test then on to be finger printed and have a picture taken of me all in one day, took 2 1/2 hours and I was out of there.  Got a call 5 days later with training information that started 6 days after in another city.

They used to do it so easily and fast and your background would start a few weeks before training and go on through your training with the knowledge that you may not keep your job if something came back bad. 

Anyways just saying things are very weird, they are trying a new system and so far it seems to be chaos.  Let me know if you hear anymore and I will do the same!

JJJJust  
#18 Posted : Monday, April 19, 2010 11:11:23 PM(UTC)
JJJJust

Dlind83 wrote:
They used to do it so easily and fast and your background would start a few weeks before training and go on through your training with the knowledge that you may not keep your job if something came back bad. 

And that was the problem. The Inspector General did a report on how inefficient the TSA hiring process was and found that there were instances of unqualified persons being hired and then it taking 90-100+ days for them to even get notice that they were going to be terminated, and then another 60 days to actually fire them.
lmoreno19  
#19 Posted : Monday, April 26, 2010 12:38:27 AM(UTC)
lmoreno19

Does anyone still have the credit notification letter. I really need to contact the people over at Per Sec and to this date I have not received anything. Someone mentioned that their letter had the contact information for Per Sec, anyone care to share! 
rc92551  
#20 Posted : Thursday, July 22, 2010 5:43:49 AM(UTC)
rc92551

Rss Feed  Atom Feed